4.0 out of 5 stars loved it in spite of myself
This is the kind of movie only Quentin Tarantino seems able to get away with. A typically irreverent, cunning and scatological piece of flotsam that does everything against the accepted movie-making conventions but mostly works nonetheless.

Published on 20 Jun. 2012 by Mr. Ja McLaughlin

3.0 out of 5 stars Waltz's Time To Shine
Published 7 days ago by Mr. C. Gelderd

4.0 out of 5 stars loved it in spite of myself, 20 Jun. 2012
Mr. Ja McLaughlin "Tony mac1" (Dunfermline) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)

Watching it, I kept thinking about all those `how to write a screenplay' courses and instruction books and reflecting on how the writing for `Inglorious Basterds' would probably fail all the standard academic criteria for success. Here is a 153 minute long movie that largely consists of lengthy conversations between two or more characters, usually sitting statically at tables and ranging around all sorts of commonplace chit-chat before getting to the point. The point, when eventually reached, then usually climaxes in a short, brutal moment of extreme violence. The film also pays scant attention to its titular characters, who are mostly just there to supply the key moments of violence. Tarantino prefers to turn conventions around and promote nominal supporting roles into the predominant leads. Finally, there's the intriguing awareness that this screenplay could probably be adapted as a theatre play with minimal change and a pretty modest budget. In fact, if somebody told you the whole thing was a filmed stage play you'd probably believe it.

Tarantino's usual indulgences are as much to the fore as ever - pastiche, self-awareness, smugness, overlength and endless movie references. The whole thing starts with a lengthy tribute to the opening of Once Upon a Time in the West and another long scene, involving the French heroine played by Melanie Laurent, looks like something lifted straight from a late-50s New Wave classic by Goddard or Truffaut. The trouble, as is always the case in Tarantino films, is that its hard to get sucked into the plot or care about the characters as he simply isn't interested in creating realistic worlds. You finish watching his movies feeling pleased that your film knowledge is strong enough to survive all the references and tributes thrown at you and then you end up feeling irritated that you have allowed yourself to get drawn into some kind of self-inflicted movie geek film quiz rather than simply going along to watch the picture.

Such is the power of the Auteur!

And yet, and yet....... Inglorious Basterds is fascinating, engaging, funny, clever, well-made and simply miles better than most mainstream movies you're likely to see in any given year. Yes, the scenes are all too long - yet they never bore and they often create superb tension. Yes, the characters often appear stereotypes - until a piece of dialogue reveals something new and unexpected. Yes, the film appears little more than a series of individual set pieces - until something important comes up that relates directly to an earlier scene.

My one problem with the picture is with the climax, which, though it tie's up all the loose ends and leads to a literally explosive resolution, nevertheless overdoes the alternative history lesson. Up until this point the film largely plays within the facts of WWII history, but the finale's rampant fiction somehow makes what has gone before a little meaningless and irrelevant. It also somewhat compromises a couple of key characters, whose actions contradict - and not in a believable way - much that has been carefully established about them in the preceding two hours.

And the acting? Well in an ensemble cast Brad Pitt enjoys himself immensely as the leader of the Basterds and Diane Kruger, as a Dietrich-like movie star and double agent, is much less stilted and more engaging than in any previous film. However pride of place goes to largely unknown Austrian actor Christoph Waltz, playing a relentless SS Jew hunter whose viciousness is hidden by an outwardly charming manner. A pity that it is his character who is most compromised by the finale.

All in all, well done Quentin - you've managed to pull it off yet again. I suspect I'll always have my reservations about you, but the fact remains that nobody does it quite the way you do.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'A 'TARANTINO' GEM', 8 Dec. 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Do you know what, the film is so 'way-out' ....it's actually pretty good.
Maybe the best thing 'Quentin Tarantino' has done so far ?
The film itself contains glimpses of a warped reality from 'World War '2' along with a measure of 'graphic' violence, and of course much 'tongue -in -cheek' humour.
The story ? ....a novel and of course fictional early end to the war, prior to which 'a hit-squad' are placed in occupied 'France' around the time of the 'Normandy' landings, task.....to kill as many 'German's' as they possibly can.
As i say the film is pretty entertaining to watch, and is no question 'worth a spin'

3.0 out of 5 stars Waltz's Time To Shine, 28 April 2015
Mr. C. Gelderd "aka GelNerd" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I’ve never really been a fan of Quentin Tarantino as a director. Yes, I know he doesn’t hold back with the bold violence, ensemble casts, quirky story-telling and surreal pop culture references and that works for many people, but doesn’t for me. I’ve got one more of his films to watch from word-of-mouth and that is ‘Django Unchained’, and already from that I am looking forward to just one thing in that, evident here in ‘Inglorious Basterds’, and that is Christoph Waltz.

While Brad Pitt in ‘Fury’ got me into watching this war film, here Pitt gives another enjoyable portrayal of an American WW soldier, albeit slightly more unhinged and sadistic, but sporting a wonderful moustache and a brilliant accent. The rest of the cast are also great in their roles; from the tormented Melanie Laurent, to the fearless Michael Fassbender and even a surreal turn by Mike “Austin Powers” Myers as a tough-talking British General, this film and its usual Tarantino disjointed narrative is saved by Waltz’s SS Colonel.

From the electrifyingly simple opening sequence (something Tarantino does so well admittedly, long takes of 1:1 conversation with characters to really build tension and see under their skin), to his eerie presence around Nazi occupied France where you really see him like a hawk; breathing down the necks of those undercover agents and waiting to strike. Waltz plays Landa perfectly and I can only see him doing it so well – he isn’t over the top, nor overly dramatic; he is contained, cunning and quite unpredictable as you never know if and when he is going to snap against the enemy. When he does, it’s shocking but so perfect; it makes Landa a very likeable and respected “villain”. It only excited me more to know this level of acting talent, simmering drama and powerful screen presence will be shown to the world again as a James Bond villain in ‘Spectre’, which will be just perfect.

While this is a very authentic war film thanks to lots of dialogue spoken in native French, German or Italian between characters in the back-drop of Nazi occupied France, the pacing does lag for a me a little in places, jumping between sets of characters and plots that, eventually, do come together in the end, but I found it just disjointed and was enjoying one sequence before it stopped and everything including the pace and genre near changes for another. It’s a love-letter to the Western, but set in WW2, with odd spaghetti western music and even David Bowie songs playing over stand-out moments. Nothing surprising when you think of Tarantino and his style of directing, but for me it just wears a little thin now and detracts from what the film could have been.

It’s hard to love or hate this; because when it works, it works very well but when it stumbles, it’s evident and takes a while to pick back up. While this is pretty much WW2 in an alternate universe, we are given a full-on explosive finale where everything just comes down to how many Nazis can be killed in the shortest space of time, and how much chaos can erupt thanks to a discard cigarette. It’s crazy, but undeniably entertaining as all paths come together and we see tragic, heroic, dramatic and amusing ends to our characters on a path that will let some survive, some not. It's a violent film with plenty of blood and gore and brutal battering's with baseball bats; but did you expect anything less?

This may stand strong on repeat viewings once you know what to expect, and it’s annoying because this makes it hard to love or hate. Christoph Waltz amplifies it for me, and also the final chapter where everything comes together. In all it’s of the more enjoyable films from Tarantino for me, but still suffers from his direction that people seem to love just because it’s him. Over-rated? Definitely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprised at how much I enjoyed it., 26 May 2013
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I'm a huge Tarantino fan, however I had reservations about watching this as I'd heard that there was a LOT of violence in it (and I'm pretty squeamish, despite being 20 years old). But, after I watched Django for the second time, I decided to pluck up some courage, get over the gore and watch this film. I wasn't sure what to expect, as the reviews were pretty mixed, however the majority were highly praising and it seemed that even the bad comments raved about Christoph Waltz's performance.

The film felt long to me, however, strangely, that didn't bother me. My favourite parts were what a lot of the negative reviews criticized the film for: it's long sections of dialogue. I thought they were clever, interesting and tense. However, this may be due to the fact that a lot of these scenes featured Hans Landa, who was played immaculately by the brilliant Christoph Waltz and somehow had me hanging on to his every word. For me (and for a lot of other people, judging by the reviews) he made this film. The rest of the cast were also very good; and though Brad Pitt's character was undeniably hammy, I think that was the way it was meant to be played, and it worked well. The story-line was engaging, though I found myself more interested in the interaction of the characters than the underlying plot. But I won't hold that against Tarantino, especially in this day and age where most blockbusters seem to feature stereotypical, predictable and wooden characters.

What parts let it down? Well, most of the reviews here said the ending. I don't really agree. Sure, it could have been better, but I did enjoy it and it is very, ahem, explosive. What I didn't care for was how easily Landa seemed to be fooled. He is cunning and highly intelligent, shouldn't he have seen that coming? Most of the time, villains getting their comeuppance is satisfying, but Landa was such a strangely likable (though terrifying, brutal, and not to mention, nazi)character that I felt somewhat disheartened by the very last scene.Additionally, the Basterds' violence sort of cancelled out the fact that it was revenge and I found myself unsure whether to cheer for them or not. And no, I'm not some sort of weird Nazi sympathizer, just watch the film and see if you feel the same.Speaking of the violence, I didn't actually find the it to be quite as bad as I expected, particularly the scalpings.

The best scenes (in my opinion): the opening scene, Landa and Shoshanna's 'strudel scene', the scene in the tavern, the 'mountain climbing' and 'name pronunciation' scene at the premiere (which I found particularly amusing), the strangulation scene and "THAT'S A BINGO!" Funnily enough, Hans Landa is present in almost all of these scenes, he really does make the movie and I would recommend watching it just for Waltz's performance.

Overall, I was unsure what to expect. It seems like a love-it-or-hate-it film. If you like Tarantino's style, don't get bored by long scenes of (albeit intelligent and subtle) dialogue and can stomach scalpings and whatnot, then you will probably like Inglourious Basterds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inglorious Basterds, 27 Jan. 2013
Robin Friedman (Washington, D.C. United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, "Inglorious Basterds" is a fictitious, visceral story of WW II in which a small group of American Jewish commandos led by Lieutenant Aldo Raine played by Brad Pitt turn the tables on Hitler and his Nazis. The movie is set in Paris during the German occupation. Besides Pitt, the major character is the Nazi "Jew Hunter" Hans Landa played by Austrian actor Christoph Waltz. Landa is suave, intelligent, shrewd, and deadly. Waltz does an extraordinary job of acting in portraying this difficult character.

The movie movies swiftly and held my attention throughout its 150 minutes. The movie is violent and crude with many scenes of beatings, cuttings, and killings. It captures the brutality of the war. In the movie, while not in fact, the Nazis get a deserved and swift comeuppance. It is a movie of vengeance.

I was engaged with this movie but found it valuable to step back and remember that it is a work of fiction. Some intelligent criticism has suggested that in this film that roles of the Nazis and the Jews has, if not been reversed, at least been somewhat equated. As in some other WW II movies, German top leadership is portrayed as consisting of buffoons. Tragically, WW II did not happen like this.

The movie was absorbing, dark, and wrenching but not especially probing. I did not find it nearly as effective or entertaining as Tarantino's more recent movie, "Django Unchained". Christoph Waltz is oustandining in both films.

Robin Friedman

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing the war, 13 Mar. 2010
W. Rodick (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
This is no glory flick. Of all the films that have been compared with Inglourious Basterds, the Hannibal Lecter films struck me hard as a comparison.

I can understand how reversing historical facts is entertaining and can inform new audiences of how they originally happened. So, the savagery of the German killing of millions of civilians, in the early nineteen forties, is portrayed by the savagery of a group formed to kill German soldiers in the same period. Only German uniforms legitimise their actions.

Tarantino's skill lies in how he saves the real horror for the dialogue. So many scenes are imbued with so many layers that the tension beneath what is being said is truly palpable for the audience. One thing that remains from most German war films is the shear fear of those in command in the SS and the Gestapo. Their entrances are deliberately theatrical. They always command the stage.

Pretence is a very frail front in a time of war. Wafer thin. Watch this film on your own at your peril. This film contains real pain unlike many of the post-war films. 'Kelly's Heroes' presented us with a clean war. A war were oddballs were lauded and praised and necessary, a war for a recognisable profit (gold) and a war of brilliant humour between men energised by the thought of making something from it. I saw it at the ABC in St. Helens in my teens, Saturday matinee and left whistling the theme tune and reflecting on all those "negative waves." Free individuals looking out for each other because of a common goal.

Inglourious Basterds is not entertaining. I bought the dvd of 'District 9' recently and reviewed it in poem form. When I saw that film I could hardly wait to see it again. It is interesting that Tarantino's film has not been available for rental. Initially I thought that this may be due the very graphic violence but I also note the Coen brothers' 'A Simple Man' is not available for rental. Directors who are guaranteed an audience can rely on cinema sales and dvd sales it seems. I wonder if they may be cutting off an audience? Or is pay-per-view the future?

The soundstage is very important for any Quentin Tarantino film. Although the 5:1 sound of Inglourious Basterds is barely utilised, his use of music and prop sounds across left and right speakers adds to the feeling of an orchestrated appeal to your senses which I'm not sure you would get from the cinema or standard stereo TV broadcast. I have never heard Beethoven's Für Elise being used for the coming of doom as it is in an early scene. Disturbing your senses. Poking your bullet hole.

It's difficult to be on anybody's side in this film. Time passes quickly when you are so totally engaged. Like kiddies at a puppet show? More like the crowd around the hanging. The Third Reich was an abhorrence that much is certain. I just wish, I just wish the fight back was with something I could support. See this film and ponder.

3.0 out of 5 stars Inglorious Basterds - Neither fish not fowl, 10 Jan. 2010
Red on Black - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
I have read somewhere that Tarantino thinks this may be his masterpiece. He must be suffering from memory loss. Any Director that sets the bar so high with films like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction will struggle to match there brilliance. I thought the "Kill Bill" Series showed that he was coming back onto top form as the "go to" virtuoso director of modern movies. Unfortunately "Inglorious Basterds" is a bit of a miss step albeit it has its moments. It's Tarantino so certain parts are excellent and the dialogue scenes are especially strong. Brad Pitt however is neither fish not fowl as Lieutenant Aldo Raine the "Apache" leader of the Jewish gang of brutalised soldiers "the basterds" and the concept of a spaghetti-western-inspired war film works but never quite convinces.

When the film concluded I felt very flat about it. I have no problems with Tarantino re writing the ending of the Second World War. Similarly I thought Christoph Waltz's part as the "Jew Hunter" stole every scene in the film with his character Hans Landa deeply sinister yet surprisingly charming. This is the sign of true monster. The problem is that the "gang" themselves are forgettable other than for the grizzly "torture" scenes. The comedy is bit Laurel and Hardy, (the Italian accents scene is mildly funny) and it's a film full of film references and knowing cinematic pastiche which will be lost on many who may just see the violence. It also proves that the Germans must have a sense of humour since the portrayal of every German here is unflinchingly unsympathetic and on occasions borders on racism, and the yet the German government allegedly part financed it! Tarantino even "good in parts" is a much better prospect than most mainstream Hollywood directors and IBs has its moments but as for his best film or a thrilling return to form, "absolut keinen weg" as they say in Baveria.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tarantino does The Dirty Dozen, 2 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
The hallmarks of Tarantino are all here: set-piece scenes of sharp, witty dialogue interspersed with moments of bloody violence. If you like Tarantino, you should like this and if you like war films you may like this: you're not going to get epic battles in a Tarantino movie- it's all about the talking and the building of tension until that burst of violence. Because of these long conversations, the film can seem a little over-long but if you cut these scenes down to their mere plot function you'd entirely miss the point.

It's hard to provide examples without throwing in spoilers but it's like Pulp Fiction's burger eating scene: Jules and Vincent could just go in and shoot the guys but instead we're treated to Jules ramping up the tension, conveying a menace that violence alone wouldn't accomplish. That's basically how things run here until the final act when things come to a head in a very similar fashion to The Dirty Dozen, however, the film never lets you rest with your expectations so expect the unexpected!

1.0 out of 5 stars Inaccessible, 23 Feb. 2015
Onyx "J.Bear" (chesterfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
If a film is subtitled then they should include audio description or an english track when a film is this mainstream, it's not an indie film with a tiny budget, they could have easily afforded it. At the very least the item description should say it's inaccessible to those of us who have less vision.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brutal, but... Tarantino, 7 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) (DVD)
Those of you who are familiar with Tarantino's work will know he likes blood and violence in his films.

Inglourious Basterds is no exception.

While there may be a few weak scenes, the storyline holds together, and it is an excellent "What if?" for WWII. Christoph Waltz (Parole Chicago) plays a fantastic "bad guy" character and Mélanie Laurent (Je Vais Bien, ne t'en Fais Pas) portrays a unique Jewish heroine.

At the time of writing, the film has achieved 8.3/10 on IMDb. That alone should be enough to tell you that this is a film worth watching. At least once.

Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009)
Inglourious Basterds [DVD] (2009) by Quentin Tarantino (DVD - 2009)