5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and insightful portrayal on mental health
For me, this is a beautiful and well-crafted film. As a mental health professional, my focus may be a bit different from that of other reviewers on Amazon.co.uk and .com. My contribution however is to suggest that it offers real insight into some of the ethical dilemas and transference issues between client and staff/carers. Of course, we have in the film a self-styled...
Published on 11 Feb 2010 by Rev. J. Raffay

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
disappointing
Published 1 month ago by Misty

4.0 out of 5 stars Robert Downey Jr does it again, 11 Oct 2011
A. D. Gherson - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
Robert Downey Jr and the cast assembled make this a real life event truly watchable. It is is sad, poignant and not at all pretty but it shows the other side of Los Angeles which is where fairy-tails are made and nightmares lurk around the corner.

It is interesting that Working Titles went with this project because they usually have lighter subjects in mind and although I missed it it on its Theatrical Release I am glad I have it for my collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Real Delight, 15 April 2011
mel (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
It took me a while to sit down and watch this film but when I got around to watching it what a joy, from the fantastic music to the first class acting. Did not want th film to end. It realy bought home how easierly our lives can change from doing well and flying high to paranoia and mental illness. It all bought home the issues facing people with mental illness espcially when there is no one to look out for them. Would hiighly recommend the film. Film would also make a good source for those studing sociology and psychology.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardgoing... BUT, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
After seeing the trailers I thought this would be a good film. It started off well but quickly became hardgoing and about halfway through I turned it off. I guess I was looking for something entertaining and this was more like a documentary.

BUT... I did watch the last half of the film a few days later and it left me wanting to see it again from the start. I thought Jamie Foxx's portrayal of Nathaniel Ayers, a gifted musician suffering from a mental illness, was brilliant - but I did not really begin to appreciate this until the film had ended.

I will have to watch it again.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Soloist, 15 Aug 2010
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
This dvd was recommended to me by a friend but I found it slow. The storyline was good, acting was excellent but for me, who likes a bit of intrigue, it was boring.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK......... but a bit lukewarm, 1 April 2010
Preston Girl (Telford, Shropshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
If you have no experience of the mental health service you may like this more than me.......... it is a realistic, believable portrayal of an individual 'suffering' mental health issues. However, I found the lack of involvement from the mental health service a bit unbelievable (based on my experience). However, this is a film........ and meant to be entertaining - so overall i have to say that it's not a bad film at all.

3.0 out of 5 stars overall a good film, but, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I've just watched this DVD. Overall I found it a very good film with an unflinching look at the situation people with mental health problems of this type are in. No control over their lives, their thoughts or their feelings. Also the linked problems of homelessness.
After an initial irritation in the first few seconds with an over tricky opening shot of a bicycle ride, I found the camerawork great, reflecting both the confusion of the illness and the music among other facets. The music is great.
At first I had some problem following the dialogue as is mentioned in other reviews. However, since I was watching it with other people who had no problem, I didn't switch the subtitles on, like I do with "The Wire". I soon tuned into it.
The thing that spoilt it for me was a couple of gratuitous cheap shots. In particular a scene depicting atheists as socially inept geeks.
In fact otherwise the religion isn't too obtrusive.

1.0 out of 5 stars Faulty DVD, 26 May 2013
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
We ordered this DVD back in March. After just getting around to watching the film (we are big film lovers and have an exciting backlog), a fault prevents us from moving past chapter 13.

It's too late to return it now, how disappointing, as it's a great film - we will be ordering another copy from somewhere else....

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming drama about a gifted musician who is struck by mental illness, 3 Oct 2010
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
This movie is highly recommended for everybody who is fond of classical music. It tells the gripping story of a young celloist who is suddenly struck by mental illness and ends up as a street musician. A newspaper man discovers him and wants to help him. See the movie, it is worth it!
Berit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent film, 22 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
This is a brave film where America shows the underbelly of Los Angeles with 90,000 homeless, displaced people.
Acting by Downey who has matured and Fox very special indeed. Music throughout gives this film a magical feel using colour to interpret notes, spellbinding. Best film I have seen in a long while.

1.0 out of 5 stars Could finish film due to disc crashing FAULTY DVD, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I brought this dvd about 2 months ago but always forgot to watch it.. when I did go and watch it lastnight I got up to 56 mins and the dvd crashed and wouldnt go no further.. I took the dvd out and wiped it then noticed the back which should be shiny was really dull and sticky which shouldnt be the case with a brand new dvd ?

I wouldnt purchase of this person due to my bad experience, I really hope I get a replacement ?

NOT HAPPY!

The Soloist [DVD]
The Soloist [DVD] by Joe Wright (DVD - 2010)
2.72