5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and insightful portrayal on mental health
Published on 11 Feb 2010 by Rev. J. Raffay

3.0 out of 5 stars overall a good film, but
I've just watched this DVD. Overall I found it a very good film with an unflinching look at the situation people with mental health problems of this type are in. No control over their lives, their thoughts or their feelings. Also the linked problems of homelessness.
Published on 15 May 2011 by Graeme McIver

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensitive and insightful portrayal on mental health, 11 Feb 2010
Rev. J. Raffay "Julian" (SHEFFIELD, S Yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
For me, this is a beautiful and well-crafted film. As a mental health professional, my focus may be a bit different from that of other reviewers on Amazon.co.uk and .com. My contribution however is to suggest that it offers real insight into some of the ethical dilemas and transference issues between client and staff/carers. Of course, we have in the film a self-styled "leader" rather than a professional but issues of autonomy and power also come into force, even for those with years of training and accreditation. Put more simply, it raises the issue of the choices we allow individuals and how different groups or individuals seek to shape society. I could say a lot more but my simple advice is watch the film! It's moving and may be distressing but it would be wrong to expect anything else of a portrayal of psychotic illness. Don't just watch the film but, if you can, look at the rest of the material on the DVD, including the invitation to volunteer in your neighbourhood to challenge stigma and include people with mental health difficulties.

3.0 out of 5 stars overall a good film, but, 15 May 2011
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
After an initial irritation in the first few seconds with an over tricky opening shot of a bicycle ride, I found the camerawork great, reflecting both the confusion of the illness and the music among other facets. The music is great.
At first I had some problem following the dialogue as is mentioned in other reviews. However, since I was watching it with other people who had no problem, I didn't switch the subtitles on, like I do with "The Wire". I soon tuned into it.
The thing that spoilt it for me was a couple of gratuitous cheap shots. In particular a scene depicting atheists as socially inept geeks.
In fact otherwise the religion isn't too obtrusive.

5.0 out of 5 stars touching and real, 28 Dec 2009
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I didn't know what to expect from this film, had no knowledge of the background, hadn't even seen a clip or trailer. Very superficially I watched it simply because it was Robert Downey Junior! I appreciate the 'realness' of this film. Without giving the ending away, it is refreshing to see Hollywood treat mental illness with some sense of reality rather than patronising it or providing a 'miracle cure'. Both Robert Downey and Jamie Foxx are brilliant in this film and provide convincing performances.
The film may be a bit slow to get off the ground, but it draws you in, and provides a message that maybe society needs to listen to where mental illness is concerned. I would highly recommend this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Moving, 17 Nov 2010
Ms. M. Lacey "Mazza" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I knew a little bit about this film having read an article on the real life 'story'. i also knew that you really can't go wrong with the new and improved Robert Downey jr and the always brilliant Jamie Fox so was very much looking forward to watching this film.
One piece of advice before i give you my opinion - Don't start watching this as a filler during doing other stuff,get yourself comfy and remove all distractions. oh maybe get some tissues.
I loved this film,i put it on and was totally ingrossed. The way it was filmed, the acting, the music (and im not a huge classical music fan) and the story being told. i found myself immersed in it all,so much so that when Mr Lopez is at the bar drinking shots i could smell sambucca!! it was not Hollywoodised, it was a story that should and needed to be told, about both mental issues and the homeless and was told delightfully.
Please please watch.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Soloist, 12 Feb 2010
Jon1 (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this DVD advertised in "The Big Issue". When it arrived and i watched it i was not disappointed. This is one of the few Dramas which is based on a real story and brings to the forefront, the extreme and horrendous poverty and homelessness in the USA. In my view it addresses sensitively the value of friendship and companionship which can impact positively on peoples mental health and spiritual wellbeing. It is an interesting film and well acted by Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey jnr. You do need to take account of the over dramatisation in parts. Having said all this, it is worth viewing. On the down side i was hoping for more of the great music, but i suppose there is only so much which can be included on a standard DVD.

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 9 July 2014
disappointing

5.0 out of 5 stars was not disappointed. Made all the more enjoyable because it was ..., 8 July 2014
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
Had never heard of this film bought it on the reviews I read, was not disappointed. Made all the more enjoyable because it was based on a true story.

5.0 out of 5 stars One my best movie see !, 7 Jun 2014
The soloist is a really interesting about a musicien that living in the streets who's well interpret by Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr. is great of course !

4.0 out of 5 stars Good film, 30 Mar 2014
xena (hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
two excellent actors Jamie Foxx and Robert Downey Jr, excellent story very watchable. funny, sad, true story. extras are worth watching.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVELY STORY, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Soloist [DVD] (DVD)
BOUGHT THIS FOR MY PARTNER, AND WE BOTH WATCHED IT. THROUGHLY ENJOYED IT SUCH AN AMAZING STORY, ACTING WAS FIRST CLASS

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Soloist [DVD]
The Soloist [DVD] by Joe Wright (DVD - 2010)
2.72