Published on 10 Dec. 2011 by doublegone

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but one issue...
I've used both an older version Helly and now this more recent version (Lifa). As a base layer the old version was great, had a cotton feel, wicked well and did the job.
Published on 18 Dec. 2009 by Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars Could this be the crowning achievement of western capitalism?, 10 Dec. 2011
doublegone (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I was thinking the other day, this garment must represent about the best value for money I have ever spent. They are totally reliable for the purpose and just keep on going. I have two long sleeved and one short. I've had them about ten years. They have been on countless camping trips, fishing, snowboarding and hiking expeditions. When its cold in the winter I just wear them day to day under ordinary clothes for extra insulation. I've been doing a lot of winter running lately. They go on under a normal running top and a windproof shell and its perfect even in the Scottish December. They always keep me warm, dry and comfortable. After a decade they show no signs of wear other than the lettering fading on the washing label. They look exactly like they did when I bought them despite being washed at all sorts of temperatures with all sorts of other items. I can't think of anything else I have ever bought from curtains to a car that has kept doing the business for ten years with no signs of giving up. No bobbling, no loose seams. Its extraordinary. And they are pretty cheap.

There are thicker and warmer base layers available from HH and other manufacturers incorporating marino wool, silk and all sorts of luxury. But for me the point is flexibility. I'd rather wear more fine layers and remain flexible as to what I can take on and off. There is nothing to these but they give you that layer of extra insulation that covers most eventualities, and when it doesn't you can wear two.

Bloody marvellous base layer. So good you probably won't even realise as you never think about them. They are just always there doing what you bought them for.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for cycling, 3 Jan. 2011
Mr. James West "Nebulous" (Aberdeen, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I've taken up cycling, and the magazines talk about technical clothing and using different layers, including a base layer. I was struggling to get my head round what a base layer was - but I went and bought this top anyway. Effectively it is a thin t-shirt/vest. It's very comfortable, very well fitting with seams designed not to irritate or annoy you whilst being active. The most impressive thing though is what is known as the 'wicking' ability. This means that if you sweat the sweat doesn't stay close to your skin leaving you damp and uncomfortable. What it does instead is transport it to the outside of the garment, where it can evaporate. There are different grades for use in different conditions. The 'dry' ones are perhaps the most versatile, and they are rated for use from -15 C to +15 C. The top is designed to be used as a base layer, but in warmer conditions it wouldn't look out of place and would be perfectly possile to wear it on its own as a t-shirt.

Now the most important thing about this is that it actually works. A couple of days ago I did a 32 mile bike run in temperatures just below zero and wore this top with a thin cycling top and a thin windproof jacket. This combination kept me dry and comfortable and I was perfectly warm.

Getting out on the bike has been a real thought because of the weather, and I have been tending to opt out and go to the gym instead. I also bought the 'dry' pants so with the two of these combined I'll definitely increase my cold weather cycling more than I would have done through the winter.

At the moment because of my recent experiences I can't rate this combination highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent multi-sports base layer, 2 Aug. 2010
Mr. D. J. Marsh (UK) - See all my reviews
Not much to say that hasn't been said before, I have several of these and use them for mountain biking, rock climbing, mountaineering, running, camping, working outdoors over winter - generally anytime I am likely to build up a sweat! The wicking action is very effective, keeping you dry, and they are incredibly fast drying, light weight and pack away in the smallest of places so great for camping, trekking etc

Thoroughly recommended - only advice is do not dry in a tumble dryer (my wife did and they shrink/shrivle/melt!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really dry fabric, keeps u warm no matter what the conditions may be., 19 Feb. 2010
G. K. Sioutas "lounger" (Greece) - See all my reviews
Bought this for a baselayering during cold weather activities and sweaty sports conditions. It's a really technical fabric allowing u to concentrate on the thing u do regardless of the environmental situations, under the term that u use it correctly in a layer system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ski base layer, 11 Feb. 2010
S. Turner "Simon" (UK) - See all my reviews
I wore two of these under my ski jacket and it kept me warm and dry down to -17'C. No sweat.
The best reasonably priced base-layer I have tried so far.
Delivery packet did not require me to be at home to sign for it either, which is always a bonus.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but one issue..., 18 Dec. 2009
Mitchell (UK) - See all my reviews
This more recent version has a very different feel to it, I guess best described as a nylon feel. This in its self is not an issue, but having used a few times now as a base layer for winter runs I have to report sore nipples are the outcome from moderate 50 minute runs every time...and that is not what I want or expect from Helly.
I've run in basic cotton t-shirts as well as Nike running tops and never had sore nipples - the only exception being when I got soaked in a downpour on a very long run.
I'm baffled that a brand such as Helly, with a heritage of performance base layer for athletes has produced a product that is so abrasive - was it thoroughly tested?? Or is this just effecting me??
Who know's, but this is what happened and it's annoyed me so much that I felt compelled to review it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good purchase., 8 Jan. 2012
This is a good base layer for sporting activities from +5 to -1. If you require a base layer that is warmer on the coldest of days then buy the Helly Hansen Lifa Warm. I've always bought Helly Hansen base layer's and they have all been very good. Ideal for cycling, skiing, walking, mountain climbing, running etc.

4.0 out of 5 stars helly hanson hi viz, 18 Feb. 2011
once again amazon dispatched the item in incredible speed arriving next day.. the highviz is cool the fit seems to be larger than the other tops i have so i would go for the next size down extremely thin material yet amazingly warm and dried very quickley after a sweaty run

3.0 out of 5 stars Wonky stitching on two tops makes me question quality and longevity., 15 Sept. 2014
I ordered two of these - both size large in navy blue with white striping on the sleeves - but have not yet worn them in anger at the time of this review.

They look nice. They feel nice and they fit nice and tightly around the body. I usually take a large size in jumpers, t-shirts and sweatshirts and ordering these in size large has been perfect for me. They are slim fit also which is good for those of us who are slim.

I've only worn them once, on a summer's day, so can't tell how warm they will be on a cold winter's day but I suspect they will be fine. I immediately felt warmer after trying them on fresh out of the box.

I have longish arms and these have nice long sleeves.

I have only given these 3 stars because on the left sleeve of the first one I took out of its box the stitching goes all wonky on the left upper arm where the white strip is sewn together with the main blue sleeve fabric. I spent ages looking at the stitching deciding whether to keep it or send it back. I do have my doubts about how long this part of the stitching will actually last in day to day wear or in washing but, as I don't intend to wear these until the winter, by the time I find out it will be too late to return them.

I was quite surprised to find that the second one I had received had, more or less, an identical wonky stitching in basically the same place also on the left sleeve. I have no idea whether these are hand sewn or machine sewn but to have two almost identical problems in the same place makes me wonder what is going on. Perhaps the seamtress was having a bad day.

The material does not look like something that you could fix with a needle and thread yourself as I would suspect that you would make more damage with a needle than good.

I paid just over £7 each for each of these so I am kind of happy to keep them but if I had paid higher - and certainly if I had paid the full price - I would have returned them. Only time will tell whether I will regret not having returned them.

For this reason I feel that I can only give these a 3 star rating and not higher. They are... OK.

September 15th, 2014.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great quality, but sizing issues, 12 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Helly Hansen Mens Lifa Dry Stripe Crew (Sports Apparel)
I ordered 2 of these. A small in blue, and a medium in black. The black, medium one was actually smaller and tighter than the small sized blue one! Anyhow, still a great item when I got one that fitted correctly.

Helly Hansen Lifa Dry Stripe Crew - Black Medium