on 23 September 2005
Decca have released this classic recording of La Boheme (in my opinion the best recording of the opera) at a bargain price and it's not to be missed. The singers are truly outstanding. Tebaldi was at the height of her powers here, and though some purists would criticise her for not being frail enough, her voice is truly outstanding. Bergonzi matches her and really pulls all the stops out - his 'Che gelida manina' is outstanding. Bastianini is also in his best voice and really uses his distinctive and powerful baritone voice to it's best as Marcello. All three of them have provide singing that is truly breathtaking. Siepi is luxury casting as Colline, but d'Angelo is a little shrill and a bit disappointing as Musetta, but does not spoil the recording. Serafin truly shows why he is the master of Italian opera and brings out the best from the Santa Cecilia Orchestra. This Boheme should be a must for every opera collection.
0Comment84 of 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 November 2012
If you only have one Boheme, you couldn't do better than this. There is nothing I could fault in the quality of the singing, orchestral playing, or recorded sound. Tebaldi is magnificent, and the ending is as blub making as any I've heard. Gianna D'Angelo is a revelation as Musetta. She dominates the second act with a voice of tremendous power and beauty. And at this price, it must be the bargain of the century.
I can't say I can really tell one good opera singer from another; my understanding of music stretches no further than 'does it feel right'?

I bought this recording on the strength of reviewers who evidently know more than I and I wasn't disappointed, not at all. I played the first disc on my office computer so keen was I to listen in. Now this I do know, my computer is no match for my proper sound system but that is situated elsewhere in the house and I couldn't wait.

Captivated. The orchestra is consistenly good, the main singers really are excellent, moving me to an emotional moment or two. I don't read Italian but I know this story. Even so, the Listening Guide accompanying the opera is a very worthwhile add-on. The music doesn't age unlike its listener so I consider this a very good value edition and, better still, an excellent recording.
on 24 February 2012
If you are new to opera, I would suggest that La Boheme is a good way to start. It is tuneful, emotional and at 1 hour, 52 minutes is not too long. This recording with Tebaldi, Bergonzi, Bastianini and d'Angelo in the main roles, is splendidly directed by Tullio Serafin. The singers are on top form and the whole opera comes across so credibly. I can't imagine I would ever tire of listening to this recording.

Within the notes is a very useful listening guide which will help anyone new, or fairly new to the opera to find their way around, with suggestions for preliminary listening.

At the bargain price, this recording is highly recommended.
on 21 March 2011
A dark and atmosperic `Boheme`, with five of the best singers ofthe time, or any other cast to perfection in this dark version of the opera. The lovers, Mimi and Rodolfo are sung by Renata Tebaldi, at the peak of her voice, and though a tall lady she sounds frail as the story unfolds. Bergonzi, lessser in stature, but beautiful and powerful of voice, the duets and other joint parts are so beautifully sung, Bastianini, whose dark baritone, is used to perfection in the long part of Marcello, is sympathetic to the now ill Mimi, and conveys it in his voice.
d`Angelo is the least of the stellar cast, but she was a fine coloratura in other works, perhaps she was still learning the role? Siepi sings his `coat aria` with a melancholy sound, as if telling us what was to come
Lesser roles, the pairing of Corena as Benoit and Alcindoro, are all well equal to their tasks, and the whole work is still as great as anything I have heard on disc. Under the baton of Serafin, there is none better collectively. Well worth purchasing even if you have a handful more, by other artistes.
on 21 December 2009
Tebaldi was the finest singer since the end of world war two. Forget about your Fremi's, Callas and the rest. The purity of her voice makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand out. I have listened to this opera many times and she still brings tears to my eyes when listen. Coupled with the conductor Tullio Serrafin and Bergonza it is a must have double CD which must be played again and again. It is like a fine wine it improves with age and needs to be savoured over and over again. Its times like this I wish I was published critic so that I could extoll the virtues of this brilliant recording.
11 comment20 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 October 2010
I bought this album to play at my Mother's funeral. It was her favourite opera and therefore I heard it frequently in my childhood. The recording is very good quality and the performers are top notch. It brought back lots of lovely memories for me and reminded me what a beautiful opera it is. Recommended.
11 comment10 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 August 2011
This is an excellent recording. Carlo Bergonzi as Rodolfo and Renata Tebaldi as Mimi are superb.
There is a real sense of atmosphere.
on 13 January 2014
I really like this opera, even if you are not familiar with opera you will recognise some of the music and be able to hum along! looking forward to seeing a production in March.
CD did take a while to come and I was worried it would not arrive for Christmas but it did come just before (I had ordered a copy for me and one for a friend as a gift).
on 10 July 2013
This is again one of my favourite operas and we have enjoyed listing to this CD a number of times. It is great.