Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.49

on 20 January 2004
Fans of Snow Patrol, Belle & Sebastian, Alfie, Idlewild ( ug ), Arab Strap, Mull Historical Society et al can buy this album with complete confidence. To the uninitiated, it could serve as an appetiser for any of the above ( most particularly Snow Patrol, as it's predominently a Gary Lightbody project )
The mood here is far brighter than on the previous, more experimental "Y'all get scared now..." and the line-up of Glasgow-centric collaborators ( 27, though it seems far from crowded ) have put together an unashamedly melodic set of songs.
Guitars feature heavily, largely acoustic, and various bods lend gentle vocals to songs of love and loss which charm and cheer in equal measure. Standout tracks would be "You are my joy", which might've been number one in a Universe without Simon Cowell and Chris Moyles in it, and Aidan Moffat's glorious closer "Whodunnit ?"
Warmly recommended and a satisfaction guaranteed purchase for Indie fans with an ear for a good tune.
on 5 July 2002
I first heard of the reindeer section a couple of years ago, when I found out that Belle and Sebastian (one of my favourite bands) were contributing to the project. I never bought the first album but since buying this, I haven't listened to anything else. It's an album which offsets raw emotion and heartbreak with some beautiful instrumentation, including some B&S style orchestral backing music. It is simply gorgeous music to just lie down and wrap yourself up in. A delight to listen to every time it hits your speakers.
Collaborating artists include some of the leading lights of the Scottish indie scene - including B&S, the Zephyrs, Snow Patrol (Irish but y'know), Arab Strap etc. As a fan of all these bands, it was perhaps inevitable that I was going to like this, particularly as it takes all the best elements from these bands and mixes them together, while the sheer number of contributors has seemingly served as a filter to completely eradicate any poor tracks.
Pure class start to finish.
on 21 August 2002
I bought this album on the strength of the review in The Times, not having heard any of The Reindeer Section's previous work, but I wasn't disappointed- all the songs on here, without exception, are so heart-wrenchingly beautiful they made we want to cry! The lyrics are incredibly touching, and they are coupled with quiet, simple melodies to make songs that are impossible to dislike. This album is like hot chocolate for ears... warm, sweet and perfect if you're feeling depressed.
on 6 February 2005
This album has been in my collection for a couple of years now..and not once has it lost any of its brilliance. This album is utterly perfect, from the fragile harmonies of 'Grand Parade' to the closer 'Whodunnit?', laced with Aidan Moffat's drawling, gritty vocal.

Of course, in my opinion one of the main bonuses of this album are Gary Lightbody's vocals. His voice is nothing short of sublime, every syllable sung in such earnest, understated beauty. The inclusion of all of the different musicians gives the entire album a deep and resonant sound, without compromising its tender intimacy.
It is not enough to sit here and write about it..I could never do it justice, it is quite simply the album of my lifetime, embodying so much emotion and beauty it takes my breath away every single time!
Although I love every second of this album, the standout tracks are probably 'Your Sweet Voice', 'Where I Fall and 'Cold Water'.
on 25 February 2003
An amazing album that from first listen blows you away. Gary Lightbody confirms all the suspicions that he is one of the best songwriters working today by coming up with an album full of great tunes that is much much more than the sum of its parts. The first 4 tracks are worth the admission price alone, and "Your Sweet Voice" is as touching a song as you will ever hear - I defy even the baldest person not to feel their hair stand on end when Gary sings "when you broke my heart you broke it into shards........of glass" and the guitar sings out the fantastic melody line. "Cartwheels" and "You are my Joy" are also testament to the sheer brilliance of this album which has comforted me through the winter, is heralding the springtime and I am sure will become the wallpaper for a fantastic summer. I implore you buy this now and keep it safe forever...
on 27 December 2003
This is one of the most beautiful albums my ears have been blessed with in a long time. It's one of those albums you can put on, and you just dissolve into it.
I bought this album after hearing Snow Patrol's latest album, Final Straw. The lead singer from Snow Patrol took a couple of years off and helped write and sing some of the tracks from this album. The two albums are quite different, but he's brought his amazing voice to grace some of the incredible tracks on this album.
Well worth buying, as is Final Straw by Snow Patrol.
on 27 June 2005
I bought this album by chance, having seen it on someone's 'best cd' list on amazon. Had never heard of the band before, so didnt have a clue what to expect. Have played it a few times now and it just sounds better and better each time i hear it. Absolutely breathtaking lyrics and style. The frontman has an incredible, unique voice. A great album to chill out to, contemplate life etc. If you like keane, snow patrol, embrace and coldplay u will def like this.
on 16 August 2007
This Album is so good it is truly amazing that it is not more well known. It's sound is similar to that of Snow Patrol's slower songs, due mostly to the vocals from Gary Lightbody, however the depth of truly great musicians in the reindeer section makes this album a real musical gem.

It is hard to pick a stand out track but my favorites are probably "Your Sweet Voice" and "You Are My Joy". This album really needs to be listened to to truly appreciate it, it can't be described in a review.

Everyone should have this CD in their collection. Buy it Now, you won't be disappointed.
on 29 April 2007
If warm honey could sing it would sound like gary lightbody.

This beautiful cd is comforting and mostly dreamy. With lyrics simple but powerful like- "Please don't look at me...I am such a mess...I will beat your love out of my chest.." (where I fall)

And songs of love lost 'your sweet voice' and 'cold water';so poignant as to put a big old lump in your throat.

Anyway, I hope everyone who deserves to, discovers this magical and stirring album.
on 6 March 2005
Being a Snow Patrol fan, but not so much of the other bands involved I wasn't sure how good this album would be. But it's absolutely brilliant! I mainly wanted to write this review so I can go on about how fantastic "Where I Fall" is- it's definately worth buying the cd for even if you hate the rest of the tracks (which you won't!). "Cartwheels" is also brilliant. But really, listen to "Where I fall", it really is beautiful.