5.0 out of 5 stars Open your heart to Stars. Love comes back to you., 30 May 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Heart (Audio CD)
This is a lovely collection of songs from a band of "incurable romantics". In the beginning of the first track the members of the band introduce themselves: "I am Evan and this is my Heart. I am Amy and this is my Heart. I am Chris and this is my Heart. I am Torq and this is my Heart." And after that they rapidly capture my heart with their beautiful melodies. Listen to 'What The Snowman Learned About Love', 'Elevator Love Letter' or 'The vanishing' and you will understand.
The voices of singer/guitarist Amy Millan and singer Torquil Campbell mix perfectly and the muisc is soft and somehow comforting in a cruel world. But the comfort is deceptive - listen to the lyrics and you will hear "tales of longing and loss: suppressed workplace crushes, long-distance-relationship frustrations, domesticity-dulled seven-year itchers, and husbands abandoning unsuspecting wives in airports to take flight to new lives". (Stuart Berman, eye - 02.13.03).
Stars influences include The Smiths, Saint Etienne and New Order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fantastic album., 10 May 2003
Richard Newman (CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Heart (Audio CD)
I heard one track from this album ("Elevator Love Letter") on late-night radio; the very next day I ordered it, and I'm very glad I did.
The CD has basically been on repeat since I got it - because it is one of the most beautiful records I've ever heard.
Stand-out tracks are "Elevator Love Letter", the title track, and "Romantic Comedy", but there are no duds on the album at all. Each track is elegantly crafted, but still emotional and honest. Lyrics are thoughtful, ranging from the strange ("A gypsy told my fortune so I told her hers / I said "you'll die in the mountains wrapped in silver furs"") to the sublime ("Don't walk away then turn and say I love you anyway / I never ever want to see you 'til our wedding day").
The vocals of Amy Millan are dreamily captivating; Torquil Campbell's yearning and beautiful.
If you want an album that will leave you smiling at the ceiling, this is it.
I'm now searching for more!

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful hope, 5 May 2003
This review is from: Heart (Audio CD)
If there is anyone out there who wants to spend the summer in a daze of love and hope this is the record. I have been waiting for people to start to actually write SONGS and it may seem as if the day has finally come. The harmonies and the stories hit my heart like an old english flood. Buy this before they come to london and play live so we can sing all the words and give them a little love back....

5.0 out of 5 stars simply beautiful pop music, 18 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Heart (Audio CD)
this incredibly beautiful pop record is by a group of Canadians who apparently used to share an apartment with the yeah yeah yeah's; but judging by its content they were doing distinctly different drugs at the time.This record is absolutely filled with the most heartbreaking and moving songs I've heard in a long long while; sort of new order meeting spiritualized in a bar with Sade on vocals. You've got to hear this to believe how good it is.Definitely one of my favourites so far this year

5.0 out of 5 stars moving and warm- amazing album, 1 Mar 2006
This review is from: Heart (Audio CD)
if there was any justice in the world Stars would be the sort of band topping the charts. everyone deserves to hear this band.
first heard them on late night radio with 'Your Ex Lover Is Dead' and then i had to seek them out.
this album is just full of 11 beautiful love songs, never sentimental. the music is simple and warm and the singers compliment each other perfectly. these are songs to fall in and out of love to. everyone can enjoy Stars, and this album is the best place to start.

Heart