on 20 January 2007
If like me you bought the previous EP 'campfire punkrock' because 'that bloke from Million Dead has made a folk album', you will expect 'sleep is for the week' to be brilliant. You wont be disappointed. I have been listening to this album non stop. The lyrics are intelligent and relevant, and I find Frank Turner's voice moving. I was sorry that Million Dead are no more, but albums like this one go a long way towards making up for it.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 9 November 2007
Frank Turner is brilliant, and his album is thoroughly, thoroughly enjoyable. If you read his Myspace page, it explains that after Million Dead, he decided to look at the other end of his musical influences - folk and country - and to try to show people that it's possible to be a singer-songwriter without sounding like James Blunt. I must say he does it with great success.

Sleep Is For The Week is an album about being a man in his 20s, trying to make a living as a musician in London, written with a real sense of poetry and a good deal of wit. And whilst Turner's voice doesn't have any extraordinary qualities - by that I mean it doesn't necessarily have any instantly recognisable qualities - his range is very impressive (as I discovered when I tried to sing one or two of the songs), and his lilting melodies are infectious.

The highlights for me are the opening and closing tracks. The Real Damage is an ode to partying in London - the classic instance of emerging from a house and searching for bus stops or landmarks - and bounces along with a twist at the end. The Ballad of Me and My Friends is an apparently live recording about the problems and benefits of the London music scene. And both have more than their fair share of feeling and of wit.

Turner is an observational lyricist, and one who sings with such heartfelt sincerity that it'll send shivers down your spine. The album, with only a couple of instances involving anything like a full band, leaves his songs exposed. They in turn, seem to expose a lot of Turner's inner thoughts. Those things together make for a remarkable album, and one I can't recommend highly enough.
on 31 August 2007
It's difficult to tell whether Frank Turner's switch from the hardcore of his previous band Million Dead to his new folk style is a fleeting change of direction or one he's going to stick with, but on the evidence of this, his debut solo album, I'd suggest it's the latter. Most of Sleep Is For The Week's best moments come from the introspection of songs like "A Decent Cup Of Tea" or the brilliant break up song "Worst Things Happen At Sea". Much has been made of Turner's political songwriting, and Once We Were anarchists deals with political apathy brilliantly, but it's the moments when Turner reveals more about himself like on the brilliant "Father's Day" that he really shows his strengths as a songwriter. There are a few tracks that don't quite hit the mark, but as a debut, it's promising stuff.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 August 2015
Frank Turner has admitted that his debut solo album is practically a snapshot of a year in his own life, and as 'Sleep Is For The Week' tells the story of a young man in his mid twenties, who is trying to make a living as a musician in London, this was always fairly obvious.

Although this isn't my favourite solo album of Frank's, it's a fairly solid debut which becomes quickly infectious. It has a very raw sound, those trademark well-written songs that are soring with honesty and emotion, and are always sung with the utmost sincerity. You can tell that Frank has clearly lived these words, detailing the ups and downs of life, and things that most of us can also relate to. Wisdom has clearly been gained from his bad experiences though, and because of this, often the lyrics are witty and amusing. My favourites are the excellent, candid breakup song 'Worst Things Happen At Sea', the charming 'Back in the Day', and the opening track 'The Real Damage', about the aftermath of a night drinking with his friends, which really hit home to me.

If 'Sleep Is For The Week' had been the first Frank Turner CD that I had bought, it would have encouraged me to seek out the others, and I think it will have the same impact on other people. This is a very personal, straight-from-the-heart album, and a strong sign that a new star had arrived in 2007, I believe that Frank Turner has the ability to become huge, and he truly deserves to. He has worked so hard to get where he is today, and has talent in abundance. Buy 'Sleep Is For The Week', it's contemporary folk-rock music at it's most addictive.
on 21 March 2014
I'm unsure as to whether the three albums that I ordered were dispatched on the same day like I had been told but they all arrived on three separate days in around the space of one or two week. This was no real issue, I had just envisioned them arriving together. The packaging for my three CDs was just a standard package with bubble wrap inside instead of the other packages designed especially for CDs, though no damage seemed to be done to the CDs. One of the CDs had a small rip in the side, but as I had bought it second hand and the CD itself was intact I had no concerns with this. Overall a good buy and I would recommend it.
on 19 May 2010
love frank turner!!!
i bought all of his albums at once after listening to his music for quite a while. i wasnt let down by any of them, but love, ire and song was my fave and i wasnt so keen on this one. feel guilty saying anything nasty about his music tho, cos he's such a good songwriter. definately worth the buy.
on 6 March 2013
This is full of good songs, some semi political and some humorous, some very serious. A good range. If your interested in him, look into Billy Bragg also.
on 11 March 2013
For a first album, this is really something else. Absolutely love this CD; no matter how I'm feeling, the music never fails to cheer me up.
on 28 January 2007
There is a chord struck by albums that just about does it for you. Totally. Utterly. Holding you to a post and without mercy kicks you in the shins... Or the heart.. Or some other unmentionable part of the body. This album does it.. gently... just about.

For me the above describes 'Six' by (that often forgotten band of genius) Mansun, or 'urban hymns' by The Verve or even that first coldplay album that they seems to me that they are attempting to forget; and along with them, goes (in no order of hierarchy) this album in a more raw and generally different way.

From beginning to end, it will make you think, of yourself, who you are, how you act and where you have been to an extent that I have never known. Musically it is the beginnings to something great, hopefully (touch wood) a legend in the making.

Ok, Ok! I haven't spoken much about the actual songs etc. So I will. They are about sex, love, life and YOU! ...or is that youth(lost, gained, held?) ? Enough? Na. Just buy it why don't you?
on 13 November 2015
A good early album from Frank, a great and skilfull writer, still work in progress at this stage but great.