5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez at their usual amazingly high standard
'How we operate' is a fine compilation of wonderfully easy going tracks, that have Gomez's fantastic harmonies and originality running throughout.

Published on 7 May 2006 by C. M. Hughes

2.0 out of 5 stars The Gomez Delusion
Undoubtedly the poorest Gomez album to date. It really lacks the energy of the earlier stuff. As a long time fan, I was really looking forward to this, but it seems that they got out of the wrong side of the bed the morning they started recording this. It really screams "we want to please as many people as possible, and sell more records in America" through it...
Published on 25 Aug 2008 by Penky

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Gomez at their usual amazingly high standard, 7 May 2006
C. M. Hughes "Dr Hughesy" (Portland, OR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)

Each one of their albums has a different sound and back bone that runs through it. This one has a great combination of upbeat and melancholy tracks, and provides even more proof that Gomez are still continuing to evolve, both musically and lyrically, but managing to keep their unique and heart renderingly good melodies going.

I have been a die hard Gomez fan from the beginning, and have loved all of their albums. If you have a similar passion for them, then this album will fuel your fire more than you thought possible. If your loyalty to them has faltered at any point since Liquid Skin, then this disc will easily bring you back to them.

A great album from a truly talented band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Draw, 4 May 2007
Mr. A. T. Lovell "alantlovell" (Northampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Bring It On and Liquid Skin were, to my mind, fantastic, innovative and very original albums that initiated my love affair with Gomez. Full of quirkiness! Split the Difference was ok but How We Operate is a real 'return to form!'. The songs are a lot more mainstream than before but are simply lovely, thoughtful creations that make you sing along and tap your foot within a listen or two. Ottwell's vocals are still ultra cool and the all round talent of the band (3 lead singers) is showcased perfectly here. Buy it, It was my favourite album of 2006 by a long chalk.

4.0 out of 5 stars How they operate? Fluently!, 28 May 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Gomez have always been a top band, and whilst they've varied their style slightly throughout their past 5 albums, they have always remained on top of the game. Nothing changes here. How We Operate is a classy vibrant album with some instant classics such as See The World, the title track How We Operate and that witty, rocky number, Cry On Demand. With this album they bring us 12 new songs in a return to more of the style of Split the Difference, their previous album. Whilst not one of their best albums, and definitely not same standard as Split the Difference in my opinion, the album is still very worthy of buying. Perhaps the influence of Country and Western is slightly too strong in some of the songs, it also shows just how versatile the musicians are, and is used in a particularly catchy manner in See The World (my favourite song), and the banjo has an amazing solo in How We Operate. The track Girl Shaped Love Drug is similar in vein to Franz Ferdinand, but shows much more diversity.

Lyrically, the tracks aren't much to shout about, but lets face it, most of the best bands songs aren't works of literary genius. Numerous in-jokes are still included, and give the songs a touch of feel-good humour. Gomez have stuck to what they know, and what they have proved they are good at, and personally, I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent new album, 11 Sep 2006
Sharon (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Having been somewhat disappointed by Split the Difference, I was a little apprehensive about this latest release. But thankfully I was not disappointed. This album puts Gomez back to the very top of my estimation. It is quite simply a superb album. I have to agree with a previous reviewers comments that the second track 'see the world' literally makes the hair stand up on the back of my head. Lyrically its fantastic while being beautifully melodic. 'Cry on Demand' and 'Hamoa Beach' are other highlights.

I have had the pleasure of seeing the band perform the material live and they have not disappointed.

I would advise anyone to buy this album, particularly fan who have been disappointed since 'bring it on' and 'liqid skin'. This will not let you down

4.0 out of 5 stars How We Operate, 3 July 2006
S. Rogers "sammy1boy" (NZ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Buy it. You need to because it will make you feel better about the world you're living in. Sometimes, I think it is too easy for Gomez. 'See the world' is a ridiculously simple tune that somehow has the power to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, the gloriously uplifting chorus to 'Cry on Demand' (a song whose chorus should be anything but!), the wah-wah groove on 'Moana Beach' that holds you in a vice-like grip, the grandeur of the title track as it explodes in the latter half, the air-tight harmonies that give warmth to the edginess and urgency in .....Enough! Buy two. Give one to someone you love!

5.0 out of 5 stars Album of the year...quite possibly !!, 8 May 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
What a superb album. I think i have an import copy of this as it isn't due out in the UK until next week (?), but Selectadisc had a copy and i couldn't resist.

I love almost every track and thats rare these days with any band. I've always loved Gomez, although i couldn't quite 'get' their previous effort, Split The Difference. I loved their earlier albums but STD just didn't quite fire with me. So i was a little hesistant with HWO but it really is superb. Notice, See The World, How We Operate, Chasing Ghosts With Alcohol and especially Charley Patton Songs are awesome. I always prefer the gravelly tones of Ben Ottewell on their releases but Ian and Tom's efforts are just as good on this album. I just wish they were playing Nottingham on their UK tour. I've seen them twice but it's been a few years and they are a really good live act.

It's now a toss up for album of the year so far between Gomez, Derek Trucks and the Drive By Truckers. Three great albums.

Go and buy !!!

4.0 out of 5 stars 'Tis Good, 4 July 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Well worth buying, this album is a fine addition to Gomez's repertoire. It contains some of their best work; they manage to keep the distinctive Gomez sound, without just copying the style of their previous albums.

If you've heard and liked other Gomez albums, you'd be missing out if you didn't give it a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of an album, 10 July 2006
A. Dunsire "Al." (Bradford, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Not my nromal music style, but having read a review thought it was worth a try...well rewarded. A great album that you can listen to over and over again, each time it seems to get more rewarding. Album of the year so far 2006.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You Like Gomez........., 3 May 2007
D. MOORE "PolzyB" (Somerset, UK) - See all my reviews
YOU WILL LOVE THIS!!!!

I have been a fan since album one and seen 'em live 3 times.....

This album is EPIC!! Best from Gomez since.... well who cares? - GO BUY!!!

Track 2 - 'See The World' is ANTHEMIC! - I charge you to find a favourite road to drive down on a perfect sunny evening with some mates and play this LOUD with the windows down............ If that does not bring a smile to your face - You're dead already!!!!

Too many good tracks to mention - when are they playing in the uk again???

ENJOY! :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars Return to form, 28 Nov 2006
This review is from: How We Operate (Audio CD)
Since Bring It on, i havent really noticed any singificant musical triumphs from Gomez, but after hearing this album, my faith is renewed! I've listened to it over and over and, what can i say, other than its a brilliant album ful of great sounding songs. I can't say there are any tracks i dont enjoy - Notice, How We Operate, Hamoa Beach, Girlshapedlovedrug - they're all fantastic. This is certainly one of my favourite albums of the year and well worth the £[...]!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›