5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Catharsis
There's something about this disc. Everyone I know that's heard it, from hoodied greeboes to a 48-year-old hard-nosed reactionary porter (no joke) all can't sing its praises enough. Yeah I know, 9/10 reviews of albums on Amazon say, This is is the best album ever!!!! But trust me this one's worth it. Listening to ASIP is something else.
The opening track 'Gone...
Published on 17 July 2004 by Mr. G Bass

1.0 out of 5 stars To save others from aural oblivion
Prompted to check out Ulrich Schnauss's oeuvre by a review of a Boards of Canada album, I was duly impressed and taken in by the ecstatic suite of 5 star reviews awarded to A Strangely Isolated Place. In giving this album one reluctant star, I sadly find myself in the location of the title, as opposed to the rest of humanity it seems.
Reviewers cite Eno, The...
Published on 20 Jun 2012 by Val Persil

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Catharsis, 17 July 2004
The opening track 'Gone Forever' unfolds with some shimmering, climbing chords that are like an aural equivalent of MDMA rushes, and that's pretty much how it stays for the next 61 minutes. Probably the best way to describe the music is 'fluidic'. The tempo does rise and dip occasionally, but mostly you're coasting on a mix of glowing, tuneful synths, mellow hip-hop beats, funky basslines and the occasional near-operatic vocals from Mr Schnauss' girlfriend Judith. Now if you're thinking, This all sounds a bit too new-age and Grim-Up-North-London for me, don't. This is not only a hundred times more honest than 'Authentic Chants Of The Navanno Tribe' or something like that, but also at least a hundred times better. It's genuinely tough to pick a favourite piece because they're all so great, although the closing title track really does something for me; it's an incredibly cinematic, epic opus that conjures up some wicked imagery. I've sat up for many a night listening to this trying to suss out how Ulrich gets his ideas and builds these tracks and I can only assume that he's something akin to a gifted genius. Hopefully this record will get a wider audience when Domino pick it up, although it would do just fine on word of mouth alone; I honestly can't think of one unfulfilled listener. With luck I've convinced you now to treat yourself (and undoubtedly your mates/family) to this unsung masterpiece from Berlin. Give it a spin and feel the tension and worries dissolve in A Strangely Isolated Place. (Cheesy... but true!). Top marks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtakingly good!, 27 Dec 2006
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
If you like and remember The Cocteau Twins' more atmospheric outings, Brian Eno's sublime "Apollo" (and Roger Eno's "Voices") and albums by Dead Can Dance and This Mortal Coil, you'll have a small inkling of the musical treasures on this CD...

The music here is highly addictive, the deceptively simple soundscapes rolling around one's head for hours afterwards. Please believe me, the sound samples presented above don't even begin to do the music justice! You've just got to buy this disc, kick back and let it wash over (and into) you.

The production could have been better though. Lots of compression (and subsequent distortion) in parts of the mix spoil headphone listening, although the sublime music won through in the end...

I really recommend this CD. It's far more than *just* chillout music, since it really does get into you. I'm really glad I bought it; so much so I've ordered the previous album......

P.S. April '07 - Some months have passed since I first bought these discs and I wanted to add that they don't stray very far from my CD player... They take repeated listening very well indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ulrich who??, 3 Feb 2005
Theres somthing about Ulrich Schauss music that makes me keep going back to it again and again. Im a big fan of chillout music, stemming from listening to Vangelis and Enigma when I was younger.
Ive always hoped that there would be another artist that could produce music of a similar quality in this genre, Ulrichs approach is very different and very unique. The first track I heard from him was `Nobodys Home` on Nick Warrens Global Underground :24, and it jumped out staight away.
Strangley Isolated Place is Ulrichs second album, and its just as good as `Far Away Trains Passing By`.
Its difficult to pick a favourite track, but I think `Monday - Paracetamol` is superb.
Silky, uplifting and sublime, plug the headphones in, turn off the lights and be prepared to be taken on a journey....

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD took my breath away, 30 Jan 2005
Brian Pope "yonkyo" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This CD took my breath away. With its superb blend of mellow chill out groove and deeply ambient multi layered sinths.....believe the hype, Ulrich Schnauss has produced a classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still as sublime as Far Away, only slightly less sparkle, 21 Feb 2005
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
A Strangely Isolated Place is the follow up to Far Away Trains Passing By. An obvious statement perhaps but when you get this in your mitts it really does scream FOLLOW UP at you. The packaging is familiar, the art style and then once you get it in your CD player you're treated to pretty much more of the same, except with a much grander scale as you would expect from a second album. Is this a bad thing? Well no, not really, just don't go into this expecting to hear something that advances upon Far Away.... by light years. Luckily for our Ulrich, nobody out there crafts such well layered soaring music like him. Perhaps if he was a Warp artist and had churned out an IDM album by number then we would have some cause for concern.
The key to Ulrich is creating songs that don't rely on abstract electronica, too many albums out there get bogged down in technical tweakings that the music loses its purpose. Ulrich layers wonderful synths on top of each other that creates an amazing chorus of sound. Music in widescreen. Take On My Own as an example, emphatic synths are joined by a subtle vocal in a track which is chilled yet has a bit of purpose about it. A track so good that Sasha gave it his own tweakings and made it the closer on his Involver album. It sounds electronic yet organic at the same time. Sasha himself said he was suprised when it came to remixing Ulrich, where he expected to find guitars in the track it was actually well crafted synths. Where this album falls over in comparison to its predecessor is that I can sit there an pick a few as being my outright favourites. Far Away... was only 6 tracks long but 4 of the tracks are firmly burn to the aural parts of my brain. A Strangely Isolated Place holds together well as an album, crafting a constant mood throughout, but it lacks in places those shining stand out moments that Far Away... had.
Put that aside, however, since this is a quality album and well worth a purchase if you have got and love Far Away..., those of you investigating Ulrich for the first time could do well to pick up Far Away first, its got that original sparkle to it. Those of you who have both albums now and crave a bit more Ulrich, check out the remixes he did for Justin Robertson's Revtone project on Bugged Out! or the unreleased track that Tom Middleton managed to acquire for his Sound Of The Cosmos mix (which makes it onto both CD and the vinyl copies for those wanting to have some mixing pleasures of their own).

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERB!, 15 April 2007
DSR (out beyond the sticks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The music here is highly addictive and somehow hypnotic despite the real movement and variety in the tracks, the deceptively simple soundscapes rolling around one's head for hours afterwards. Please believe me, the sound samples presented above (?) don't even begin to do the music justice! You've just got to buy this disc, kick back and let the music wash into you; a very enjoyable experience indeed that can evoke memories and emotions depending on circumstance.........

The production could have been a bit better though. Lots of compression (and subsequent distortion) in parts of the mix spoil headphone listening, although the sublime music, pitch bending and all..... wins through every time...

I give this CD a heartfelt recommendation. It's far more than *just* chillout music, since it really does grow on you. I'm really glad I bought it; so much so I ordered the previous album, which has a similar effect......

P.S. April '07 - Some months have passed since I first bought these discs and I wanted to add that they don't ever stray very far from my CD player... They take repeated listening very well indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Electronica meets Shoegazing., 22 Aug 2005
G.Duffy (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
I've only just recently heard about Ulrich Schnauss through a wonderful re-mix he did of Justin Robertson Presents Revtone's - Love Movement. So I looked up his work and came across this album.
The first thing that popped into my head when I heard this album was the term 'Shoegazing', i.e. the Cocteau Twins etc., but with a modern coating. This album is electronica, but mixed in is the famous dreamy, reverb filled 'Wall of Sound' style and a small bit of Boards of Canada thrown in. It's pleasant album to listen to and has a nice relaxed feeling to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful (only possible way of describing this album), 25 Jan 2005
C. Tustain (Warwick, UK) - See all my reviews
This is the most uplifitng, sensual album that I have ever had the pleasure of listening to. Ulrich's first album 'Far away trains passing by' was at the time an album which I naively thought could not be surpassed until he released this little gem. If you have the opportunity to get this you will no way regret this. A true master piece top marks Ulrich Schnauss!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does was it says on the tin!, 14 Dec 2012
This purchase followed a hearing of a track off the album on "Chill DAB" and the the exemplary 5 star reviews on Amazon.
Excellent back ground music to, when having a read. The ONLY slight bug bear to this recording is slight distortion on some notes, caused I suspect by the "wick"on the recording desk being set a bit too high.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavenly..., 26 July 2007
Prophet (London, England) - See all my reviews
I randomly discovered this album yesterday, and it has been playing on loop ever since. This is without question the most beautiful electronic album I've ever heard, and regardless of whether you like electronica or not, everyone should own a copy, especially as it fuses so many different styles.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›