5.0 out of 5 stars Chilled Electronica To Touch Your Soul
I purchased this album on its original release in 2001 and can safely say that 16 months later it is still fantastic - one of the best albums I've bought in the last 10 years.
Chilled electronic music from Norway is nothing new, Biosphere was creating glacial ambient music as far back as the early 90s. Royksopp differ as their take on chilled electronica is born out...
Published on 10 Feb 2003 by sensoria

3.0 out of 5 stars not as kicking as their live gigs but still good chillout
I bought this album after seeing them support Basement Jaxx at the Brixton Academy. Their set was kicking, with live drumming (on electric drums obviously), and that led to me being very disappointed with the album at first. But forgetting the live stuff and listening to it over and over again I found myself getting sucked into it as a chillout album. Really nice happy...
Published on 5 Feb 2002

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Muzak for the Nokia generation, 18 Aug 2002
B. Lawes (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
Having read the reviews I obviously had to buy a copy, right? Not so. Whilst there are some standout tracks on the album, noteably the opening track "So Easy," (AKA T-mobile ad,) the familiar "Eple," which has been used as a music bed on countless TV and Radio programmes, and "Royksopp's night out," a driving number that wouldn't be out of place on a movie soundtrack most others are run of the mill including "Sparks" which could be Portishead, "Poor Leno," The Beloved, and "A higher place," Lionrock. Also beware. The version of "Remind me" is NOT the single version, nor is the remix included on the album as a bonus track. An oversight, as this is a relaunch. This album is destined to become the "Play" for 2002... It's nice, but it's not going to change your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Only one word: PERFECT!!!!!, 24 Dec 2002
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
This brilliant norwegian duo really knows how to make ambient electronica. Melody A.M. is absolutely the perfect album to listen, especially if you want to relax.
For example, I listen the album all the way always when I'm resting or going to sleep. I tell you, this kind of music makes you very relaxed and it helps you to sleep.
For example, Eple made my whole body go almost numb, I felt my head going dizzy and I felt a somekind of wave going from my head all the way to my toes. Eple is the ultimate track for taking you to a completely different world...
And from that the rest of the album keeps you locked into this awesome heavenly feeling. And Poor Leno, that track makes the feeling even deeper and bigger, I almost felt myself flying while listening to it...
Once again, if you like to chill out or relax, this album is made just for you...you won`t regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars You will probaby like this, 3 Dec 2001
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
I put the C.D. on, and my friend says 'hey, this is quite good, who is it by?' 'Royksopp' I replied. 'Oh, never heard of them.' This seems a particularly cruel fate for 2 Norweigen guys who are actually talented (usually, I'd stay away from Scandinavian music...). From the great Eple, to the carribean percussion on Royksopps night out, this a C.D. that will leave you with a desire for more. Not full marks for the dodgy, late night Channel 5 style saxophone introduction to track 9.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!!!, 3 July 2003
mr.philip taylor (derby, derbyshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
THIS IS WITHOUT QUESTION ONE OF,IF NOT,THE BEST ALBUM I HAVE BOUGHT IN YEARS. I HAPPENED TO SEE ROYKSOPP ON TV PERFORMING AT GLASTONBURY AND WAS TRANSFIXED BY THEIR MUSIC. PRIOR TO THIS. I HAD NEVER HEARD OF THEM (BEING FORTY SOMETHING,I AM A BIT OUT OF TOUCH).IF YOU ARE INTO MELLOW,CHILL-OUT MUSIC,YOU MUST BUY THIS ALBUM.IF YOU ARE NOT,YOU STILL SHOULD BUY IT!!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Nordic techno, 8 Aug 2002
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
Easily the best dance LP of 2001, this has been re-released to cash in on their success since Oct 2001(when I bought this).Influenced by Franco-Balaearic European techno using Underworld style atmospherics with a distinct Nordic twist this is a real miesterwork.
Standout tracks are the smooth techno pulses of "Poor Leno", the summery skittishness of "Epie" and the autumnal longing of "Remind Me". Even if you dont know Royskopp you will know 2 or 3 of these tunes from adverts and ITV football coverage.
I found this Lp best suited to late Autumn nights, dreaming of the fjords and mountains!

5.0 out of 5 stars Norwegian duo push the limits of chill out, 9 Oct 2001
Melody a.m
Each track takes a serious idea and pushes it to the limit until all sense of reality is lost. The results are varied; percussive, chiming electro befitting a dafter Daft Punk, a more downtempo slice of easy-edged beauty thats airier than Air's finest. As a complete album its the best thing to happen to the genre of chill out

3.0 out of 5 stars Am I missing something?, 19 Aug 2002
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
After reading the unfailingly glowing recommendations on this page, I felt I had to buy this album. But I have to admit to being a little disappointed. "Remind Me" is a great song, but many of the others just seem to be lacking that vital something, ending up sounding pleasant enough but pretty unmemorable. A couple of others are best skipped. Overall, a worthwhile addition to my music collection, but I expected so much more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Returned, 17 April 2014
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
This album would not play on either of my players or in my car. Returned and as of yet not re-ordered

3.0 out of 5 stars Not all it's cracked up to be, 27 Aug 2002
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
Maybe because I'm getting on a bit, but having got past the opening track (as used in the T-Mobile ad) I've been finding this album somewhat disappointing. Yes there are some great tracks (like 'Poor Leno') but several tracks take a very simple idea (and often one that's been nicked i.e. a sample) and simply flog it to death without any melodic innovation or imagination.
Repeating the same passage for four bars is fine, but when it's spun out to eight or even 16 then what's the point, it just makes for repetitive listening. Still, I'll give it three stars, as there are some definite highlights, but also this general lack of imagination. Given the choice between this and Air's Moon Safari, I'd go with Air, even though they managed to run out of ideas by the end of that album!

5.0 out of 5 stars my review, 18 July 2003
This review is from: Melody A.M. (Audio CD)
this is THE best dance album in the world today

‹ Previous | 15 6 7 | Next ›