5.0 out of 5 stars Buy me. Buy me. Buy Me. Book councelling., 30 Nov 2002
Mr. N. Richardson "nwjr" (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Steve Albini and Mogwai.
Yep, looks good on paper.
Sounds like greatness. To anyone not familiar with Mogwai its lucky you found this page as this will without doubt be the greatest, most cataclysmic 20minute single youre ever likely to buy. This single to me is the perfect response to the wasted oppertunity of Rock Action. All the best Mogwai records are ep's (or singles in this case) so if you find your allegience wavering, dont worry. Theres only really one perfect way to experience this song and its live at the Barrowlands. And if like me youve experienced the terrifying rabbit-in-the-headlights noise/strobe onslaught which accompanies the conclusion to any great Mogwai gig you'll already be suffering the post-traumatic disorders and sweaty flash-backs. This is MUSIC, pure music

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing, 22 Nov 2002
Arron Potter (Ldn) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
The first time I heard this song was (I think) prior to its release, at the Reading Festival 2001, when they ended their live set with it. And I was absolutely blown away, trust me, the cd does not do this song justice. The white noise outro to this song was doubly intensified by an unreal light show, mainly composed of strobes. But for those of you who were unfortunate not to catch a live Mogwai show, buy it, you won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars worship, 29 Jan 2006
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
this is the single best peice of music involving the use of a guitar and some pedals ever recorded by any one ever. you couldnt improve on it if you tried. it is infectious, lasting, and utterly desivsatingly brilliant. it starts quiet, then get loud, then quiet again then loud, then very noisey, then a bit messy at the end. its a perfect balence. i cant even being to describe what its like melodicly, except that it seems to tap into certain part of you brain and make it explode. please if you like mogwai and you don't own this stop messing about and click buy it now. if you dont know mogwai then buy it because, my father my king is the best place to start. this tune deserves its own cd, it probably deserves its own genre to, its that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars 20:21!!!!!!!!!, 21 Feb 2002
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
wow..this record is amazing..having seen it played live i decided to go and buy it...wow...just as good as the live version..
it starts off quietly...with a nice tune then builds up slowly with the listener getting entangled in the simple melody..then BAMM..it hits you!!
the sound yous fills everything from top to bottom, in oneside to the other.
the guitars at first are virually non existant..but once stuart and they ladz get into it they can make a complete wall of noise but with style. make no mistake, this is not a quiet record.
what you have is a masterpiece of musical noise with the addition of a religious theme...but it is not a religious song.no.
the music sours up then drops down almost completely stopping at one point..but it again builds up.
Mogwai have gone for the quiet and then loud approach here..but with a twist...the last 6ish minutes is just complete noise...it ravages your brain...simply the entire track breaks down into reverb and distortion with some added effects..it is one of those tracks which makes you want to turn up the volume as loud as it can go and just sit there....but the ludest it can go just isnt loud enough
this is an amazing track form a band i have just got into...this record will tale you on a journy of peacefulness to hedmess decomposion...
buy it..and feel it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mogwai - My Father My King, 31 July 2002
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
This is great song to just lose yourself in and follows all the other Mogwai epics that I have come to love. I think that as a listener you need to have patience so i wouldn't recommend it for everyone, just fans of other Mogwai classics such "Mogwai Fear Satan" and "Stanley Kubrick" to name just two, and artists such as "Godspeed You Black...", "Sigur Ros", "Spiritualized", "Sonic Youth", "Modest Mouse" ect, ect.
This is really good and is one of the most intresting and innotive singles of the year. The fact that a twenty second odd cut off the song would've made this eligible for the charts, shows Mogwai creative determination and where their aspirations lie. If you find you've become sick of regular pop songs then this would be a good record to buy. By the time you have listened to it for the third or fourth time then your senses will tingle when the song transcends into a sonic bombardment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
Although this single is only one song ( a mammoth 20 mins 12 secs long ) , it has to be said this is probably the best mogwai release yet . Certainly there most heaviest , this song bursts with melody one moment , brutal distortion the next . A genuine modern day classic , also produced by modern day legend steve albini . Genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gobsmacking, 27 Dec 2001
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
Every single second of this 20 minute 12 second masterpiece is essential listening. Mogwai's take on a traditional Jewish hymn is what we've all been waiting more, and confirm's their status as noisenik gods. BUY THIS!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Brilliance, 22 Feb 2006
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
My Father My King is perhaps the archetypal Mogwai track. It perfectly distills their post-rock ethos and is a magnificent exploration of the quiet/loud dynamic they are famous for. The track builds and descends and builds again, with moments of great subtlety and beauty and others of fantastic noise. This is one of the most extraordinary pieces of music ever to be recorded and showcases a band whose musicality sets them head and shoulders above most of their contemporaries.

5.0 out of 5 stars A timeless epic, 22 Jan 2002
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
This track is probably the bestsingle of 2002.It is an interpretation of an ancient jewish hymn which starts out as beautifully serene,builts into a moderately heavy section,goes back to another peaceful bit then rebuilds into a barrage of noise that nearly makes your colon cave in.For a long time this has been the bands epic closer when playing live and with the help of Steve Albini they have finally released it.Truly timeless

5.0 out of 5 stars a powerhouse., 20 May 2008
Mr. Alexander J. Day "-=xander=-" (swansea, great britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Father My King (Audio CD)
a rediculously amazing song that sums-up everything that is good in post rock. one of those few songs that will give you goose-bumps and make the hair on the back of your kneck stand on end. almost perfect.

My Father My King