4.0 out of 5 stars great
This a great cage and can be customised to suit the buyer, I have bought extra tubes and a pod for the hamster to sleep in. For the first few weeks I would recommend removing the tubes as my baby hamster decided to make his bed inside the tubes making it impossible for me to handle him which is vital in the early weeks.
They also wee inside the tubes so you may want...
Published on 22 Sept. 2011 by JC

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too small for any hamster as a permanent cage!
I purchased this cage from Pets at Home when I first brought my Syrian home as it is advertised as being suitable for a Syrian hamster.

It is not.

Published 7 months ago by ShannonMcN

1.0 out of 5 stars Far too small for any hamster as a permanent cage!, 15 Aug. 2014
ShannonMcN (Co. Down, N.Ireland) - See all my reviews

It is not.

This cage is much too small and I immediately ordered a Savic Hamster Heaven for £59 from Amazon which fulfils the minimum requirements for a hamster of any species recommended by the RSPCA (75x40x40 cm). My hamster was clearly very unhappy for the short time she was in this cage and was bar biting all through the night no matter how much play time she was given. The wheel provided was also much too small for a Syrian hamster and I immediately purchased an 8 inch wheel.

This mistake is really my own fault for failing to do enough research and check the measurements for this cage before buying but I would hate for other new hamster owners to fall into the same trap. Don't bother with this cage unless it it to extend another Ferplast setup. I will either be binning mine, using it as a travel cage or donating it to someone as an EXTENSION ONLY.

2.0 out of 5 stars too small for a syrian, 13 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
Its an ok cage, but the shelf is difficult to put in and slips occasionally. size wise, like a a lot of cages marketed to Syrian hamsters.....way too small. wheel is tiny, he didn't ever use it to run in just too poop in. Tubes were fine but when he stuffed his cheeks he got stuck and we had to rescue him, there is no room to put extra toys or a new wheel. My hamster is not fully grown, in fact he is 9weeks old, far from fully grown, so don't waste your money like i did, 2 weeks and hes happily in a new cage.

4.0 out of 5 stars great, 22 Sept. 2011
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
They also wee inside the tubes so you may want to put some news paper under the cage.
The home supplied is not large enough for a full grown Syrian but makes an excellent toilet.
The cage is also spacious enough for you to hang treats like corn from the roof.
The kids love watching him potter about now and this cage allows for that too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not practical and borderline cruel, 3 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
I bought this cage from Pets at Home thinking it would be fun for my new hamster. Unfortunately I ignored the posts saying it was too small for a Syrian... 3 weeks later and some major hamster growth later and it was obvious that this cage is far too small - there's barely any room for toys and my hamster was very confined which definitely made him quite lacklustre.

Aside from it being unsuitable for a Syrian (it really, really is - seeing my hamster crammed in this cage made me feel awful), the overall structure is also a huge let-down and the tubes are a nightmare. Remember you have to clean a hamster's cage at least once a week. Dismantling, cleaning and reassembling this cage every week was soul destroying, not to mention quite painful. In addition to this my hamster built his nest and toilet in the tubes making it impossible to clean his wee daily and also to get him into his exercise ball.

Basically the cage looks fun and is rather sturdy. However, it is simply not practical and after a few weeks you will want to buy a different, more appropriate cage for your hamster's sake as well as your own. I just got Tyrion a bigger one today and he already seems much more active.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small for a Syrian!, 10 April 2014
Ms. E. C. Roberts "ellie_bob89" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
Whilst it is a lovely cage, it is far too small for a Syrian hamster.
Bought this for my new hamster, and it was perfect for a month or so and then he got bigger, and began chewing the bars as a bid to escape. Read online that bar chewing is a sign of boredom so got him some more chew toys, but he persisted, and I learned that it was because he didn't have enough space.
The wheel supplied with this cage is dreadful, and I immediately bought a new one! The wheel is far too small (the hamster shouldn't be bending in the wheel, should be almost straight when running in it) so I invested in a 12" silent spinner straight away.
As with others, the platform is a bit tricky to manoeuvre in and out for cleaning. I didn't have the issue of my hamster peeing in the tubes though, so can't comment on that! Then house is apparently too small for a Syrian too, but my ham loves it, and when I tried to replace it he wasn't happy, so I have kept it.

I have ended up buying him a cage intended for rats, as this cage gives plenty of floor space. (90cm x 50cm) and have made my own platform areas for him. He now runs around content and has stopped incessantly chewing the bars. He also has a sandpit corner (with chinchilla sand NOT dust!!) which he loves digging in, and also bathing in).

I would avoid this cage for Syrian hamsters, but it may be suitable for a dwarf/robo?

3.0 out of 5 stars laura cage = large syrian, 19 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
Lovely looking sturdy cage and was perfect for our syrian at first, Bought from pets at home and this was the recomended cage, The wheel was always squeeky and i hated the middle pole in it that ended up with fur stuck to it but soon my hamster outgrew everything! Weve replaced the bed etc and it now leaves no room for toys etc. Also replaced the wheel but with the tubes on that my hamster loves the orange shelf has to be fitted so high it barely leaves room for food bowls etc. wished id bought a bigger cage to start with to save me now looking for a relacement :(

3.0 out of 5 stars Norra Laura space, 16 May 2012
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
Bought this as an extension for our Syrian's cage as he had outgrown it. Specifically, we needed somewhere to put a much larger wheel. The Laura cage is the right size to hold it, and gives him a bit of extra exercise space too.

The supplied tubes were sufficient to link the cages together. Be careful though if you build a complex link like I did; we've had a few escapes due to the tunnel collapsing under its own weight (or that of the occupant). It has now been reinforced!

We're not using the mezzanine, but it appears sturdy enough. I'd be wary of the wheel, which seems a bit flimsy, but obviously we're not using that either. The water bottle is nice and big, and the food bowl is just like the one he already had.

Compared to the more expensive Favola, the plastic seems less durable and the bars are spaced a bit further apart. The doors look a bit easier for a determined animal to pop open, but on the plus side there are two of them which makes access much easier. There's not much space for digging material; not a problem for us as he digs in his other cage, but might have been an issue otherwise. It has a smaller capacity, but were the tubing used as illustrated the animal would at least have plenty to climb on.

Overall, good for what it was bought for, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a Syrian hamster's only residence as it's just too small.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic cage, 28 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
I have had this cage for years now and have used it for both hamsters and gerbils at different times and it is perfect for both. Because of the tubes this cage can also be connected to other ferplast and savic cages to expand and therre is a great range of product out there to extend this cage for your little critter.
This cage is easy to clean and lasts a long time I am very happy with it.
The only problem it has is the bed that it comes with is way to small for any animal so you will need to buy another one but the rest is really good.
Update: Although I have had this cage for years I have decide to upgrade to a Ferplast Tris, as my gerbil loves to pee in the tube and make a mess. So i upgraded to a cage which is practically the same cage but has ladder instead of tubes and is twice the height but I love this cage still.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for a tempary home., 19 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
I brought this cage in February, from Pet at Home. the same time I got two 10 weeks old, female Russian Dwarf Hamster. The wasn't suitable as within a week the pair were fighting, after placing the more aggressive one into another cage, everything went well.

But the hamster, Molly that was living in this cage, got trapped between the bars and the orange platform, breaking her back leg, she was put to sleep because of how bad the injury was.

2.0 out of 5 stars Laura Hamster Cage, 23 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories (Misc.)
This cage is alright, but beware the floor in it is very very very hard to get out and back into after cleaning, the wheel that comes with it is way to small for a syrian hamster to exercise properly, the house is too small and is badly made is hard to put together. I am very disappointed :(

Ferplast Laura Hamster Cage with Accessories