Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 February 2009
As a long term Hitchcock fan, I always muse on what the next installment will be like. A couple of albums have found their way on to the shelf, yet barely get an airing.

But not this one.

This is groovy, funky, quirky, with a hint of the old Soft Boys genre. Instantly likeable, a grower, one of the best Hitchcock productions to date. In fact, the only downside is that I've missed the tour dates.
on 23 February 2009
This is just terrific, Robyn Hitchcock's best album for ages, one that gets better & better with each listening. The Venus 3 are no longer (very good) backing musicians, they're now a real band, The Man's singing has never been better, the lyrics are more accessible than previously but right on target & the production is flawless. Some powerful tracks, no fillers & the best bit is saved until last - the title track is simply awesome. 2009 will have to be one hell of a year for anything to top this.
on 26 March 2009
I've been amazed at the longevity of Robyn Hitchcock's songwriting genius. After all these years, he can still write the most amazing psychedelic pop. Goodnight Oslo contains some songs, like "I'm Falling", and the title track, that are just fabulous and well worth the price of the record. But I really don't think this record is as good as Ole Tarantula. There are two things I can put my finger on. First, and I know a lot of folks wouldn't care, the recording and mixing simply isn't as well done. The drums on the first track, "What You Is", sound like they were recorded from across the room. This might have been to give the whole thing more of a spontaneous and "live" sound, but it doesn't work for me. Secondly, I think that Robyn is taking too much input from the band on the song structures. Much of this album sounds more like Minus 5 than Venus 3.

So, buy it. It's good. Robyn deserves success. But buy Ole Tarantuala first.
on 26 May 2009
As a long term Hitchcock supporter, I was pleased to find this album a marked improvement over the last. I know Ole Tarantula received good reviews, but it didn't really do much for me to be honest. Also, having seen the V3 a couple of times I'd started to form the opinion that this wasn't the right band for Robyn. Sure, they raise his profile higher than it's been for many years but live certainly they sounded flat & uninspiring. Compared to the Egyptians, who now sound a bit dated but still have a bounce that V3 can't provide. Expecting too much perhaps, this is 20 years on of course. This lp is catchy & as good an introduction as any for anyone new to the man. Get this, then go for the box sets of 80's solo stuff that Yep put out a while ago (and of course, The Soft Boy's "Underwater Moonlight"...a classic!)
on 5 September 2015
Melodic and interesting without being middle of the road.