5.0 out of 5 stars Well!
Since hearing this collection of mad, mad stuff a long time ago (courtesy of a friend with more money than I had at the time) I have constantly been uplifted when listening to the clever, catchy lyrics and droll commentaries on life and the world in general.
Published on 13 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by several poor tracks.
A few great tracks on here but let down by lots of other fairly poor tracks. I admire the spirit of the band immensely, writing all kinds of weird songs about everything, but I still can't see me playing this CD very often. Should have bought the "users guide" compilation instead: all the best tracks seem to be on there.
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by WobbleJon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well!, 13 Jan 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
The fun I got from learning the lyrics of Rock, and trying to sing them in time to the music has occupied many happy, if exhausted hours driving home from work late at night. (Probably kept me awake too!)
Yes TMBG, not only do I love your music, but I probably owe you my life too!!!
If you are trembling on the verge of 'to buy or not to buy'
BUY - you won't regret it.
Then, when you have made that decision, buy Apollo Two too as it is also excellent.
Then stop until you are richer, and can afford disappointment!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Where the Party Ends?, 15 April 2004
C R Knighton (Egham, Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
This is where the party begun for many TMBG fans. It is the definitive TMBG album. This album spurred me on to buy all their other albums.
Ingenious. No two songs are alike, it is an album full of surprises. Most people I have lent this album to have then gone out to buy it for themselves. I see it as a must have for music fans, if only to broaden one's collection.
There are a lot of highlights to this album, most people who have heard it would cite 'Birdhouse in your Soul' as the best song, but in my opinion there are a lot on a par with this. Notably, 'Letterbox', 'Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love' and well, I could go on and name all the songs, because they all have qualities.
TMBG are musical innovators. This album proves that.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 30 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
one of the greatest ablums i have in my collection this is one of those albums, and generally one of those bands, that you never tire of listening to. These tracks manage to successfully combine catchyness, rock and when listened to properly, quirky but also quite meaningfull lyrics. Songs such as birdhouse and dead are really quite thoughtfull but they combine this with the totally bizarre minimum wage in a seamless fantastic way. BUY THIS ABLUM RIGHT NOW IF YOU HAVE ANY TASTE AT ALL, CLICK BUY, GO ON DO IT, NOW GO ON. NO DONT LEAVE IT TILL LATER RIGHT NOW.
ps i can also recommend sever tire damage worth it for the live version of istanbul alone

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't own this, buy it!, 4 Feb 2004
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I found this album because I'd heard 'Birdhouse In Your Soul' on the radio and decided that I would like a copy of the song. I then listened to the rest of the album and wasn't disappointed. Istanbul (not Constantinople), Dead, Particle Man, They Might Be Giants, Road Movie To Berlin, the great songs just keep on coming. A word of advice. Don't listen when you're trying to work as you'll get caught up in the songs and never get anything done. But buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uhmmmmm......, 3 Jun 2002
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
They Might Be Giants are so unlike anything you will have ever heard it's hard to find words to sum them up. Yes, they're 'quirky', but the loathsome 'q' word is over-used and far too generic to do them justice. They are runner-up act of choice to Barenaked Ladies fans, currently enjoying renewed interest thanks to the (uncharacteristic) Blink182-esque hit Boss of Me. The music is self-mocking and subversive (just take the daft hidden politics of We Want A Rock); the duo dole out catchy choruses like there's no tommorrow. Best of all, the two Johns have firmly turned their backs on the corporate fashion parade that is the 'popular' music industry. If you're going to get anything from songs like Minimum Wage, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair or ten year old UK hit Birdhouse In Your Soul, it's the distinct impression that they just don't give a damn.

5.0 out of 5 stars A re-discovered masterpiece!!!, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Flood (MP3 Download)
Having not thought of this band for a long number of years i was delighted to re-discover this album. I was immediately transported back to a previous life of carefree summers and no real responsibility - Bliss!
TMBG are simply FAB... No other words for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought the Album when it first came out, so I've now got the digital version, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I bought the Album when it first came out, so I've now got the digital version. Love birdhouse and Istanbul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
It has "Little birdhouse in your soul" on it... Nuff said!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite album of all time, 25 April 2014
Ian Danton (Omagh United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I am biased, I have bought everything They Might Be Giants have ever done and I own the t-shirt. However it all started here. Something about this album just clicks into place for me. If I am unhappy then this changes my mood. The songs are eclectic, and define quirk. On here you have Birdhouse in your Soul - the one song most people know, My Racist Friend, Particle Man, Istanbul (Not Constantinople), Hot Cha. All of them with the essence of John and John's love of what they do oozing out of every bar. This is my fourth copy of the album. I gave the others away in an effort to spread joy :). I genuinely hope you enjoy it. (Oh and look out for fingertips on their previous album Apollo 18 - simple genius).

5.0 out of 5 stars Kids love this, 31 July 2013
This review is from: Flood (MP3 Download)
Kids love this. Aged 10-13 think its great, with all the science details and quirky songs. They'd like more !

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›