5.0 out of 5 stars Well!
Since hearing this collection of mad, mad stuff a long time ago (courtesy of a friend with more money than I had at the time) I have constantly been uplifted when listening to the clever, catchy lyrics and droll commentaries on life and the world in general.
Published on 13 Jan 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Let down by several poor tracks.
A few great tracks on here but let down by lots of other fairly poor tracks. I admire the spirit of the band immensely, writing all kinds of weird songs about everything, but I still can't see me playing this CD very often. Should have bought the "users guide" compilation instead: all the best tracks seem to be on there.
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by WobbleJon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Well!, 13 Jan 2003
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
The fun I got from learning the lyrics of Rock, and trying to sing them in time to the music has occupied many happy, if exhausted hours driving home from work late at night. (Probably kept me awake too!)
Yes TMBG, not only do I love your music, but I probably owe you my life too!!!
If you are trembling on the verge of 'to buy or not to buy'
BUY - you won't regret it.
Then, when you have made that decision, buy Apollo Two too as it is also excellent.
Then stop until you are richer, and can afford disappointment!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is Where the Party Ends?, 15 April 2004
C R Knighton (Egham, Surrey England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
This is where the party begun for many TMBG fans. It is the definitive TMBG album. This album spurred me on to buy all their other albums.
Ingenious. No two songs are alike, it is an album full of surprises. Most people I have lent this album to have then gone out to buy it for themselves. I see it as a must have for music fans, if only to broaden one's collection.
There are a lot of highlights to this album, most people who have heard it would cite 'Birdhouse in your Soul' as the best song, but in my opinion there are a lot on a par with this. Notably, 'Letterbox', 'Sapphire Bullets of Pure Love' and well, I could go on and name all the songs, because they all have qualities.
TMBG are musical innovators. This album proves that.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous, 30 May 2001
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
one of the greatest ablums i have in my collection this is one of those albums, and generally one of those bands, that you never tire of listening to. These tracks manage to successfully combine catchyness, rock and when listened to properly, quirky but also quite meaningfull lyrics. Songs such as birdhouse and dead are really quite thoughtfull but they combine this with the totally bizarre minimum wage in a seamless fantastic way. BUY THIS ABLUM RIGHT NOW IF YOU HAVE ANY TASTE AT ALL, CLICK BUY, GO ON DO IT, NOW GO ON. NO DONT LEAVE IT TILL LATER RIGHT NOW.
ps i can also recommend sever tire damage worth it for the live version of istanbul alone

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't own this, buy it!, 4 Feb 2004
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I found this album because I'd heard 'Birdhouse In Your Soul' on the radio and decided that I would like a copy of the song. I then listened to the rest of the album and wasn't disappointed. Istanbul (not Constantinople), Dead, Particle Man, They Might Be Giants, Road Movie To Berlin, the great songs just keep on coming. A word of advice. Don't listen when you're trying to work as you'll get caught up in the songs and never get anything done. But buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Uhmmmmm......, 3 Jun 2002
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
They Might Be Giants are so unlike anything you will have ever heard it's hard to find words to sum them up. Yes, they're 'quirky', but the loathsome 'q' word is over-used and far too generic to do them justice. They are runner-up act of choice to Barenaked Ladies fans, currently enjoying renewed interest thanks to the (uncharacteristic) Blink182-esque hit Boss of Me. The music is self-mocking and subversive (just take the daft hidden politics of We Want A Rock); the duo dole out catchy choruses like there's no tommorrow. Best of all, the two Johns have firmly turned their backs on the corporate fashion parade that is the 'popular' music industry. If you're going to get anything from songs like Minimum Wage, Someone Keeps Moving My Chair or ten year old UK hit Birdhouse In Your Soul, it's the distinct impression that they just don't give a damn.

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 19 Jan 2008
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I remember hearing this album being played alot when i was very little. it stuck with me because i do remember randomly spouting out

THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS! BOOOY!

at random intervals throughout the years. its only been recently that i rekindled my love of this nutty band. (im 18 now) i have to say they are possibly my favourite band. i have pretty much all their albums on my computer now, but whenever my media player happens to randomly hop onto a song from flood, it just makes me smile. it does have some of the greatest songs on i think. though theirs loads of TMBG songs from all albums i love. but i think flood is just special to me.

If youre after an alternative/rock/pop type album, with a little more to it. go for this. it has very clever, if a little odd, lyrics, and very catchy tunes.

i hope TMBG carry on singing for many years yet, as different as all their albums are, they retain the intelligents and catchyness throughout. there really is something for everyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Uneven quality, but with moments of excellence, 14 Jan 2000
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
Flood is an album that should be heard in small doses. They Might Be Giants managed to pack 19 songs in to its forty minutes running time, which is enough to drive the first-time listener up the wall. Yes folks, we're in comedy song territory. On repeated listens, however, certain songs catch your attention ('Dead', 'Someone Keeps Moving My Chair', and of course 'Istanbul (Not Constantinople)') above the less worthy tracks. Having said that, the song that really grabs you by the throat and sells you the album is 'Birdhouse In Your Soul'. It is simply wonderful, and after hearing it you'd buy a record otherwise filled with the sounds of cabbage farming just to get hold of it. This album will never be to everyone's taste, but fans of witty lyrics and musicians with a sense of humour won't regret their purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars A re-discovered masterpiece!!!, 3 Jan 2010
This review is from: Flood (MP3 Download)
Having not thought of this band for a long number of years i was delighted to re-discover this album. I was immediately transported back to a previous life of carefree summers and no real responsibility - Bliss!
TMBG are simply FAB... No other words for them.

4.0 out of 5 stars I bought the Album when it first came out, so I've now got the digital version, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
I bought the Album when it first came out, so I've now got the digital version. Love birdhouse and Istanbul!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Flood (Audio CD)
It has "Little birdhouse in your soul" on it... Nuff said!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›