5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fusion of pop/metal/goth
I ordered this before release as I'd gradually come to like Morten Veland's band. I was hoping it was going to be as good as previous albums but I never imagined it would be THIS good. It just oozes gothic atmosphere and melody. It will take something special to shift these songs out of my head. Every one is a corker.

The label on the CD read something like "A...
Published on 1 Feb. 2009 by Big Red

3.0 out of 5 stars In which Sirenia fail to win promotion to the top division
Published on 12 May 2009 by Fergal Woods

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fusion of pop/metal/goth, 1 Feb. 2009
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

The label on the CD read something like "A perfect fusion of pop/metal/goth" and that sums it up pretty well. It sounds like a cross between Abba and the Sisters of Mercy. If that sounds horrific, don't worry. The result is amazing. There are plenty of crunching guitars, choral arrangements, strings, growls, and, more so on this CD, driving bass.

This is without doubt Sirenia's best album to date. It continues in a similar style to "Nine Destinies..." but the intensity of everything is just turned up several notches. Of particular note is the "Sirenia Choir", who backed some tracks on the last CD and took centre stage on the song "Seven Keys..." On 13th Floor the choral arrangements are great and the choir really shines.

This time round Spanish singer Ailyn is the chosen female vocalist/new recruit. She has a good voice and fits in well but so far I think I preferred Monika Pedersen for her gothic sounds. Ailyn, who apparently did well on the Spanish version of X Factor, has a more pop oriented vocal but she does have a beautiful voice, looks good and can belt out the lyrics. And speaking of lyrics, Morten must have some disturbing dreams, he seems to be obsessed with doors and keys for some reason?!

Point of interest - Ailyn is now Sirenia's fourth singer in as many full albums. For me this is beginning to add to the appeal of the band - every CD has a unique identity but all are recognisably Sirenia. Also one of the best tracks has a male guest vocalist Jan Kenneth Barkved and there is more variety, one reason I took a star off "Nine Destinies.."

Old fans who liked "At Sixes and Sevens" might not like this melodic direction, and the melody here is absolutely relentless. But it's definitely not a pop CD. If this isn't my favourite CD of 2009 I will be very surprised.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, solid symphonic/gothic metal album, 25 Feb. 2009
Mr. S. Lewis (Saltash, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
Before we start, you must understand that prior to hearing this album, I knew nothing about Sirenia. It was a bit of an impulse buy after hearing the latest single on Kerrang TV, however, unlike most impulse buys, I actually enjoyed it. Also, because of this, I will not be able to compare it to any of Sirenia's previous albums, I am judging it on it's own! Anyway, time for a track by track run through:

The Path to Decay - This is the track that I heard that pursuaded me to buy the album. It's a solid track with some great guitar riffing and powerful double-bass drumming. It also introduces Sirenia fans to new signer Ailyn who I gather, was not on any of their previous albums. It has a powerful chorus and a nice solo. 8/10

Lost in Life - After a beautiful piano intro reminisent of Nightwish, a rather melodic song ensues with some beautiful, angelic vocals from Ailyn. This is also single-worthy material and has a sing-along-anthemic chorus and another reasonable solo. 8/10

The Mind Maelstrom - This song begins with a choir and then trails into some keyboards with Ailyn singing beautifully accross it. An extremley peaceful song even with the reasonable anthemic chorus backed up by the choir. However, that soon changes when the double-pedals kick in and some growled/screamed vocals by main instrumentalist Morten Veland start. I like these vocals as it's a real contrast to Ailyn's voice. 7/10

The Seventh Summer - This song opens with a rather orchestral intro that perfectly suges into some really heavy guitars and drums. It contains a rather melodic chorus filled with double-pedals and sing-a-long lines. However, I do not think it is as strong as some of the previous tracks 7/10

Beyond Life's Scenery - This one opens with a rather doomy guitar riff and then becomes extremely dominated by the bass guitar in the verses. This makes the song seem very dark especially when combined with Ailyn's etherel vocals. 7/10

The Lucid Door - A quite gothic number, a bit like something Lacuna Coil would be proud to write. It's very melodic with Ailyn's voice cutting through the mix and some powerful slide guitar to back it up. Morten's vocals are also very powerful along with the choir towards the end. 8/10

Led Astray - Another piano/keyboard driven verse that has one really at peace with one's self. The guitar riff in the intro in between the verses and the choruses is also rather nice. I think that this is the song that best shows off Ailyn's vocal talents. 7/10

Winterborn 77 - A very keyboard orientated riff with some aiding rhythm guitars starts off this song and goes straight into some more beautiful vocals from Ailyn. Another song with an anthemic chorus filled with powerful and melodic drumming. 7/10

Sirens of the Seven Seas - A real epic featuring clean male vocals from Jan Kenneth Barkved. This song combines the three vocal styles plus the choir extremley effectivley to produce a great song to end the album on. It's such a powerful song with many different yet great parts. 9/10

Overall, this is a very strong album. Be it gothic metal or symphonic metal which ever you prefer, you will love this album. It's no where near the best album ever but it's very enjoyable and features some excellent musicianship and vocals.

4.0 out of 5 stars CATCHY & MYSTERIOUS, 5 July 2011
I like the creator's way of writing & ideas behind his music, here & elsewhere, a good effort this The 13th Floor!
It's not exactly a concept album, but listening to it, you can't help but thinking that afterall it is: a sort of gothic journey through life , that has a supernatural kind of ambiguous bittersweet finale into the "dark spellbound sea" of the awesome last song on the album...finally it seems we'll be able to find at least 1 of the key useful to open the doors mentioned previously in the mysterious dreams of this cd.

The only issue for me is Aylin's voice (the new singer hired): I know it's not everybody's fault if they've been unlucky for the constant turnover of the many singers, & also that they wanted a softer tone to try something more striking (as a difference hard versus soft vibe) for their new sound, but for me her voice is truly too poppy for making it shines as it should.
I really miss tough rocker Monica, the 1 of the 2 previous cds...fantastic ensamble with her ("Sister Nightfall" remians still a masterpiece in my opinion), what a pity they had to change: it's not that I've never heard a light voice with melodic metal before, or that I preferred a more soprano kind of voice (like old Tarja from Nightwish for ex), but simply this new 1 doesn't fit perfectly...

5.0 out of 5 stars Wicked symphony/gothic metal :-), 13 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
Awesome CD, the song-writing & melodies are wicked. Ailyn's vocals are spot-on and she is totally enjoying being the main vocalist for this cool band. Others have already given detailed reviews so I'll just pick my fav track: Path To Decay.

Wow. That is all. Brilliant tune, awesome vocal and the choir bit at the end will have you standing up and saluting. I really hope they come out with loads of new stuff and use the choir more.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 29 April 2014
This review is from: The 13th Floor (MP3 Download)
I bought this album cos of the great metal pounding track single "Path to decay" which introduced me to Sirenia. I was not disappointed. A great symphonic rock album, full of catchy songs with their own style and flavour.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunningly fantastic, 20 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
OK, how can I describe how good this is this.. I hadn't bought a metal album in about 20 years until recently, and stumbled across a link to Path to Decay on a website. I'd never even heard of symphonic / goth metal before. In my day the good stuff was Slayer , Metallica et al - 'gothic' music of the late eighties never seemed to be heavy enough. Some 'crossover' had started with bands like 'Candlemass' (doom metal) that, crucially, used harmonic minor / arabic-scale style 3-semitone-gap scales in their melodies, part of which gave them their great sound, a fact lost on many reviewer of a symphonic metal song. 'Nightfall' was a superb 'gothic' sounding doom metal album, but there I thought the genre petered out. I have friends with older kids who listen to stuff like Slipknot and Sum 41 - we put the CDs on once for a laugh at a party and I was shocked at how awfully bland, and frankly, tame, it all was. So I presumed that's the way heavy music was going. So you can hardly imagine my delight when I stumbled on all this symphonic metal recently. I have now been busy listening to and evaluating upwards of a hundred symphonic / goth metal bands out there, and there are some great bands - Nightwish, Amberian Dawn, Within Temptation, Theatre of Tragedy etc. But no matter how good these bands are - and I have to say many of them are superb - no album of the genre I've yet sampled is quite as good as this offering from Sirenia. Often when I buy an album , I like the majority of the songs, but find there's usually one or two turkeys spoiling things that I have to skip through on the CD. However this is one of those albums where every single song is superb - all written with lots of variety, to a very high standard, all very catchy, with a good mix of predominantly female clean vocals and a smaller amount of male growling. Nice to hear Path to Decay has a tad of growling on as well. The last song, Sirens of the Seven seas, is simply outstanding. I think the thing that distinguishes Sirenia over the other symphonic metal bands I've listened to is the quality and power of the choral parts. I have listened to this album over and over and over again, it's that addictive. Some reviewers have said the singer has a weak voice, and this is simply not true; while I admit some other female singers in the genre are stronger singers than Ailyn, she is well up there and more than capable of pulling off a classy performance on this album. You could argue the guitar solo work isn't as inventive as other albums, but none of this matters - it's the addictive tune and structure of every single song on the album which count at the end of the day, and the choral parts are to die for. Now one of my all-time favourite albums.

3.0 out of 5 stars In which Sirenia fail to win promotion to the top division, 12 May 2009
Fergal Woods "Axe Victim" (Leitrim, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
Sirenia are a curious band and to me, at least, it appears they haven't quite sorted out where they're going musically. I think it's detrimental to change the vocalist after each recording as this makes their overall sound less identifiable. I don't think the new singer is any better than the last one. Intros are often powerful but this is almost instantly dissipated when (weakish) vocals come in. I'm not that keen on the heavy backing music mixing with weak melodies which have poppy leanings. As other reviewers have said the belated entrance of growls (not that I'm a fan) is like a write-by-numbers reminder of their Gothic roots. The choir does sound magnificent in places but this has all been done before and Sirenia are nowhere near as dynamic or dramatic as Epica or After Forever not to mention the big 2.

There are a couple of nice guitar breaks (most symphonic metal groups couldn't play solos to save their lives) but Morten Veland comes across as a good craftsman rather than an inspired songwriter. I find the constant reviewer references to Abba inappropriate as Sirenia have a long way to go to come up with unforgettable melodies like their Scandinavian counterparts. Song titles seem to centre around numbers for some obscure reason. My favourite tracks are the opener "Path to Decay" and the last one - "Siren of the Seven Seas" and I prefer the two bonus instrumentals to their sung versions. Overall "Nine Destinies" was a stronger album and at best Sirenia are just marking time. Not an essential purchase (but a helluva lot better than Tristania or Lacuna Coil)!

4.0 out of 5 stars A good allrounder, 26 Mar. 2009
Ms. V. Rushton (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
I really like this album it is so easy to listen to, they have used a new singer again she gives the album a different feel her voice is more melodic then the singer on the last album. Sirenia continue on the pop metal road if you are a fan of their earlier stuff then you might not like this you just have to take it for what it is not what the band used to be like. You still have Morten's grunts though a lot more toned down. The Sirenian choir are featured alot more and really add a beautiful gothic feel to the songs. If you are into female fronted metal then this is definately one for the collection. It has a lighter feel and is one of my most played CD's at the moment.

3.0 out of 5 stars On The 13th Floor with quite a way to go....., 9 Nov. 2009
P. Limmer "MrMellow" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
Sirenia's latest has finally seen them break their way further into the mainstream, with lead single 'The Path To Decay' proving a perfectly competent track, but they're still got quite a way to go to reach the heady realms that Within Temptation and Nightwish have managed to achieve. Parts of the album still feel like symphonic metal by numbers, and I don't particularly find the new vocalist all that brilliant. The music seems to be toned down as if not to drown out her weak voice, but until the aforementioned symphonic overlords release their new opuses, this will give you something to entertain yourself with for a bit...

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected!, 7 July 2009
This review is from: The 13th Floor (Audio CD)
When I first saw on youtube that the new singer Ailyn had done some Evanescence covers,I was really worried that this album would sway away from Sirenia's gothic and melodic influences. However, I couldn't have been more wrong!

The 13th floor is amazing! Seventh Summmer and Sirens of the Seven Seas in particular, but there isn't a track I get bored of! Ailyn's voice sounds amazing, and I hope she lasts more than just the one album,unlike the previous female vocalists.

The male vocals by Morten Veland are also great, both clean and the grunting/growling parts!

An amazing album that I would recommend to any fan of the band and similar bands!

The 13th Floor
The 13th Floor by Sirenia (Audio CD - 2008)