on 27 July 2009
The Wolves (Act I and II) is from the album For Emma Forever Ago which is a collection of stunning, gentle, accoustic brilliance... but it is already awash with a sea of reviews and, for me, this song is the stand-out one of them all; so much so, it deserves reviewing in its own right.

Bon Iver is frequently compared to Damian Rice, but I've never heard much similarity. There's the accoustic quality, but they share that with a thousand others. I hear much, much louder echoes of Martin Grech with the ache in the voice and the unpredictability and seemingly discordant chords.

It's so hard to describe and review music (if you're a layman like me) so I think sometimes the best we can do is describe how it makes us feel. Wolves forces me to close my eyes and it feels a little like standing alone in the middle of Hampstead Heath in November. It's cold, but I'm bundled up warm and breathing through my scarf so the air doesn't burn my lungs; the wind is squirly, and whistling, and the trees are almost bare. There's joy and sadness everywhere, and there's a strange feeling of anticipation, like something is about to happen, even though I know it won't, and all I can do is stand there simultaneously rooted to the spot and being swept away by it.

The brief silences in the music are quiet moments where the wind dies down and I can hear rippling in the pond, and the water looks very, very cold. It's stripped down, simple, pure, dark and beautiful and I can smell the burning leaves so clearly that am surprised to open my eyes and realise that it's still only July.

There is so much beautiful music in the world, and I honestly think Wolves is somewhere near the very top.
55 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse