5.0 out of 5 stars Disco(mbobulation)Ball
It takes a brave man (or a somewhat foolish manager) to time ones'
debut album release with that of Mrs.Ciccone-Ritchie's latest
extravaganza but Mr Sparro gets my vote straight off the bat
with this scintillating slice of chic, sophisticated electrofunk.

Anybody who can manage to weave the word 'discombobulated' into a pop song
(trust me...
Published on 28 April 2008 by The Wolf

1.0 out of 5 stars Sam Sparrow
I bought this album because I loved 'Black and Gold'. However, I was very disappointed. That track and the first one on the album are the only ones worth listening to. Sam Sparrow whitters on and on throughout the rest of the album and it is real rubbish. Don't waste your money. Sorry Sam, but you have to do better than this.
Published on 16 Jun 2008 by K. Harrison

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Disco(mbobulation)Ball, 28 April 2008
The Wolf (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
It takes a brave man (or a somewhat foolish manager) to time ones'
debut album release with that of Mrs.Ciccone-Ritchie's latest
extravaganza but Mr Sparro gets my vote straight off the bat
with this scintillating slice of chic, sophisticated electrofunk.

Anybody who can manage to weave the word 'discombobulated' into a pop song
(trust me it's there in 'Cottonmouth') immediately gains my full attention and respect.

It's a very strong first showing indeed, 'Black And Gold' having been
around for a little while now as an amuse-bouche to whet our appetites
until the whole three courses (plus petit fours and coffee) arrived at the table.

And what a damned fine meal we have set out before us here.

It's as though a hyperactive schoolboy has been rooting around
in his elder brother's 70's and 80's funky disco collection,
absorbing the best and ditching the rest.
The retro references are witty, cunningly integrated and sharply performed.
(I sense an encyclopedic knowledge and enthusiasm for the genre).

Mr Sparro's voice shifts comfortably between a rich (and slightly sleazy)
baritone and a finely honed falsetto (watch out Mr Shears !) navigating
the thirteen numbers in this collection with confidence and authority.

This largely uptempo set would feel as at home in the surburban drawing
rooms of Purley as it doubtless will in the darker corners of West Hollywood.

Highpoints for the yet-to-be initiated include : aforementioned groovetastic single
'Black And Gold'; '21st Century Life' for it's punch-in-the-guts slap bass;
'Cottonmouth' for it's smart-arse, loping elegance;'Hot Mess' for it's hot hook chorus
and personal favorite 'Pocket' which has pretty much everything in it that I want from a pop song.

Full Marks Mr Sparro. It's shiny shirt and disco flares for me tonight for sure....
....and I want to dance with somebody !

5.0 out of 5 stars I just love track 2 on this cd, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Well, I just love track 2 on this cd, classic. play it full blast in car, guy is a genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars CD, 12 May 2013
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Good music for most of the cd as you normally get a few good tracks and the rest is there to fill up the cd.

4.0 out of 5 stars The new sound of the summer, 9 May 2008
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
It would be impossible to write anything about Sam Sparro without discussing his ubiquitous first single, so I'll get that out of the way first: 'Black and Gold' is a stunning, reflective - almost melancholy - song, impossible not to love and perhaps a classic in the making. But fans of that track should approach Sparro's debut album with caution. There's only one other slow song amongst the 14 here - 'Waiting for Time' - and it doesn't even come close to matching the brooding magnificence of 'Black and Gold'. The majority of this record is far more funky and upbeat, both innovatively futuristic and pleasingly retro.

Instead of taking the standard pop route, Sparro's music mixes elements of dance, electro, funk and a distinctive 1980s sound - Prince is the most obvious influence, while 'Hot Mess' sounds like a lost track from the Scissor Sisters' first album. For me at least, the highlight of the whole collection is 'Clingwrap', a joyous, four-minute kiss-off anthem anchored around infectious hooks and brilliantly absurd, witty lyrics. 'Too Many Questions', '21st Century Life' and 'Sally' are similarly fabulous pop songs, instantly easy to sing along to. Meanwhile, the closing hidden track, 'Still Hungry', is something of a departure - a piano-led ballad showcasing Sparro's soulful voice, it suggests a versatility that could turn its creator into a genuine star.

Anyone familiar with Sparro's debut EP will be aware that his lyrics can veer dangerously close to the offensive side of trite, as on the embarrassing 'Miss Rexi' (thankfully not included here), the brief skit 'Recycle It!' and the verses of the otherwise excellent '21st Century Life'. These lyrical indiscretions provide the weakest moments of the album - Sparro's songs work best when he sticks to the universal pop themes of relationships and having a good time.

It remains for time to tell whether Sam Sparro will ever have another hit big enough to surpass 'Black and Gold', but this record is a triumph nevertheless, packed with catchy tunes and brimming with irresistible tracks almost guaranteed to make you want to dance. It's perfect for playing in your car with the windows down on a hot day, or to get you in the mood for a big night out. If Sparro's lucky, this could well turn out to be the must-have album of summer 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funky Refreshing Sound!, 8 Aug 2008
M. Morgan "trublusoul" (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Sam Sparro is truly an artist that grew up with the great sounds of the 80's. With influences from 'Depeche Mode' and the Funk vibes of 'Prince', Sam Sparro brings us a resreshing Electro soul sound for the 21st Century! This is an Instant classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sexy sparro!, 7 July 2008
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Is this a good album, no, its bloody excellent!. I havent bought an album in ages that I can truely say that I like every song. If you are a funk loving person, who loves a bit of the eighties this is definatley for you. Theres a bit of an Erasure/ boygeorge vibe... in a good way of course and its great to dance too. I cant stop playing it! well done Sam, looking forward to seeing what else you can do?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Sparro, 5 Feb 2009
E. Ward "'emmagleb'" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
I bought this album just before Christmas because it was 2.98 - it seemed rude not to, especially having enjoyed the single 'Black and Gold' so much.

At first, I didn't think much of it. The tracks had that eighties feel to them, not unlike Darren Hayes or some slow Scissor Sisters, which I kinda like. I perservered with the CD nad have grown to love it :-) It puts me in boppy, poppy mood thatcha just can't resist, shoulders movin' and fingers snapping'...

Highlights of the CD include:

Black and Gold
I love the way the track progresses from its initial intro beat (which is longer on the album than the single) up to a full blown song. The beat is addictive and the song has set itself aside from other radio tunes to join the realms of *super cool*

21st Century Life
A finger-clicking classic... Its uber-80s, glam feel is so optimistic and upbeat, you can't help but love it!

Pocket
A catchy tune followed by an even more catchy chorus.

Weak monents - about 90% of albums have some track that is my least favourite (not usually 'disliked' though), and on this album it is:

Clingwrap
The Americanism of the title gets on my goat in the first instance, and the odd subject choice for the song just leaves me wondering WHY?!?!

This album is currently one of my favourites, and will continue to grace my CD played for quite some time. The variety of tracks means it never gets boring - I can't wait to see what he delivers next!

4.0 out of 5 stars love it, 23 April 2010
T. J. Cummins (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Although there are some weak tracks, they are massively overshadowed by some hugely enjoyable modern classics. Takes me back to some of those great disco hits of the 70's but with some intelligent lyrics which occasionally stray onto the borders of profound. Over a year after I've first listened to it I still love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 30 May 2009
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Black and Gold kind of passed me by when it hit the charts, but after hearing the wonderful Pocket on the TV and seeing that amazon was selling the album for tuppence ha'penny, I said what the hell.

Being a teenager in the early 80's and also a huge fan of Prince, Funk and also loving a lot of the current resurgence of Electro Pop, this CD is "right up my alley". Completely listenable and catchy, Mr Sparro's quirky songs on top of his great voice and "soul" make for a great fusion of old and new, and is somewhat of an all around triumph.

5.0 out of 5 stars a sparkling sparro, 12 Jan 2009
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sam Sparro (Audio CD)
Oh wow I just cant stop playing this CD, it is exactly what is needed at these grey times of dull financial dumbness. This is full of sparkle and I have been missing the delights of Jake Shears and Sam Sparro has picked up the disco camp baton and not only run with it but far outsung/danced any of the rivals for the crown of king/queen of disco. Is there anybody who has not traded in that last sad Madonna lament??
I discovered Sam through a young facebook contact and can not believe I had not heard from him before, is this some kind of marketing restraint in case we find pleasure and are not taxed for it!
So dont just sit there reading this if you have this CD put it on now and feel the joy, if you have not got it then you know what you must do

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›