5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!
Published on 17 Jan. 2008 by Mr. S. L. Polley

2.0 out of 5 stars DJ Shadow Syndrome
Published on 15 Mar. 2007 by Mr. Russell H. Gillies

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!!, 17 Jan. 2008
Mr. S. L. Polley "Field Party" (Norfolk/Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
Admittadly it did take a little while longer than expected to fall in love with this album, but it was certainly worth the wait. Other reviewers here seem to be a bit retarded by pointing out this is going in the wrong direction because the point is this is the direction Rj has always been headed in - the similariteis and progression between since we last spoke and this album are plainly obvious to the ear and brain. The tunes here are put together using the same beats, drums and vocals Rj has always used - the difference being he has learned to write a decent tune without the need for a load of guest vocalists/mc's. So stop whining all you dorks and give this album the time it deserves!

2.0 out of 5 stars DJ Shadow Syndrome, 15 Mar. 2007
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
It must be said, this is a very big disapointment. If you know and love RJD2's work like I do, then this is a big step down from the likes of "deadringer" and "since we last spoke". I can understand that there's a lot of DJ's that decide to broaden their horizons, experiment with other styles, refine there sound I guess, but this is a big step in the wrong direction. His previous work has been prominently breakbeat, hiphop, funk and jazz electronica whereas he seems to have taken his music in a completely different direction, in a kind of poor rock electronica style, he's picked up a guitar and keyboard and all of a sudden, decided that he can sing.

There are a few promising moments on the album, but many of the tracks seemed to have been ruined by his very weak vocals, at times cringeworthy. Every track seems to be leading to nothingness, just very bland and unispiring. Nothing that will get you moving at all, if elevator music is what you dig, then this record might be your cup of tea.

I was so ridiculously disapointed with this record! as I can pretty much say I like the entirity of his own work and his beats on soul position, but this is NOT the RJD2 I know and love, it seems he has stepped into DJ shadows shoes. Another great DJ taken from us! Stick to what you good at!!!!!!!!!!!!aaaaaaaaaargh

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointing, 26 April 2012
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
listened to a lot of his instrumentals on spotify and was expecting some real good hip hop vibes.
cant say i like the dudes voice very much, and the beats were pretty poor imo

5.0 out of 5 stars Look Ma' its a Grower, 1 Aug. 2011
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
Seriously given the time this album is a real grower I personally think it is a masterpiece of musicianship and I'm glad RJ has had the balls to release it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced by this new direction..., 28 May 2007
C. E. Stacey - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
I downloaded this album to check it out before I bought it on vinyl, and at first thought that it was someone else's album, deliberately mis-named so that people would download it, but on checking at amazon I found that it weas indeed the new album from RJD2. Can't argue with the production, but I have to say that this new direction is not my bag at all.

I've got a feeling it's worse because i feel that it's almost like in producing this he's deprived me of the music of his that I loved, and the reason I got into him in the first place. Obviously it's totally his choice what he does, and 'Since we last spoke' had a different direction to previous albums but was really good. Having said that, I'm sure if hge's produced more of what we are used to, a whole other bunch of people would be slating him for sticking to a formula.

Those of you who miss the style the RJ and Shadow used to be loved for might want to check out a guy called 4teenth ( [...] ), unsigned at the mo I think but I'm loving some of the tracks.

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, 23 Mar. 2007
Jamie A. Kirkham (KENT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
well, upon first listen i was a little dubious, i was not expecting what i first heard, the explanation for this direction is placed in situ on the inside cover, upon listening two to three times, i started recognising the nuance hooks and superb production, it is a sprawling but not unguided. i found the whole piece a really nice presentation, which, did not dissapoint. this is one of the better releases of this ilk for some time, warm and honest.

jamie

4.0 out of 5 stars Something new. A different perspective to other reviews!, 10 April 2008
A. S. Tatton-reid (Wales,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
Unlike many of the reviewers here, i hadn't heard any of RJD2s work before and stumbled across this album via a forum reccomendation. On first listen in the car, it wasnt for me, however, I somehow felt compelled to listen again in a different environment, listening on my MP3 player in bed I suddenly fell in love with the complex and subtle beats he uses in the backing to each track behind the vocals, Yeah the vocals arnt great but they pull the tracks along nicely, without them the songs would be somewhat empty. i listen to this album alot!
I decided to check out his back catalogue, and didnt find the albums anywhere near as good as this one. So looking at this album on its own and NOT going by his other work for me has been a joy. It only looses a point because im not to hot on the first 3 tracks, but after them its a wonderful album, with some fantasticly deep and complex chilled out moments. Murs Beat is a stand out track for me, if you only listen to one track in full make it that one!

2.0 out of 5 stars not worth it, 23 April 2008
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
Nothing that appealing about this album to me and i am a big fan of electronic music especially the solid steel productions, mr scruff and hexstatic to name a few. Thought this album would match up to them and needless to say it fell short. Cheesey in parts, simple in others. Have found some better other music from Rjd2 however, just not on this album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dreadful, 17 Jun. 2009
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
What was he thinking? Whether you're an RJD2 fan or not; this is a stinker of an album. His voice isn't very good and the 'songs' are weak. The best tracks are a couple of instrumentals and although they don't quite hit the heights of his previous work, do at least sound like RJD2 tracks. I'm all for artists trying new things, maturing, but this is going a bit too far. Too great a departure because as a singer/songwriter in that traditional sense, RJ's just not good enough.

One star for the better tracks on the album, another for trying!

2.0 out of 5 stars WTF?, 19 Jun. 2008
This review is from: The Third Hand (Audio CD)
Rjd2 appears to have been kidnapped, and replaced by Coldplay and a monkey with a keyboard. Where have the funk, soul, passion, groove and beat gone?! His usually upbeat hiphop has been thrown out the window completely, and he's gone in a completely new direction.

I would advise avoiding this unless you are a massive fan of depressingly slow low-fi. Get his other albums instead (Deadringer is pure brilliance, Since We Last Spoke is a slice of gold), they are most definately where the party is at.

The Third Hand