5.0 out of 5 stars A performance of great distinction
I first wrote this about an earlier issue of this recording, which seems no longer to be available, so I reproduce it here.

Published on 7 Feb 2012 by Musica Vita

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping it was an English vocal edition.
As my wife will be singing it with the choir she is in she was hoping it would be in English and not German. Thought about returning it unopened but looked for an English version on the WEB but could not find one so it would help if the description stated the language that it was sung in.
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars A performance of great distinction, 7 Feb 2012
Musica Vita (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

I have always considered the sound of the King's College Choir to be too lightweight and polite, and in this recording their German pronunciation is sometimes awry. Having got that off my chest, I can say that everything else about this performance is splendid. The playing of the Academy of St Martins is impeccable, Philip Ledger's direction inspired, with tempi just right (except for the Lullaby in Part 2 which might have been better slightly slower) and the soloists seem ideally suited to this music. Robert Tear is a persuasive, declamatory Evangelist and sings his arias with great feeling, and Elly Ameling is beautifully radiant. It is almost needless to say that Janet Baker and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau give performances of real distinction. His "Grosser Herr" in Part 1 will make you sit up and listen, but his delicate accompanied recitatives are even more moving. I find Janet Baker's "Schliesse mein Herz" in Part 3 to be her best aria here, although the others are also admirable. EMI's recording is of the best, and has overcome most of the notorious reverberation of King's College Chapel.

This is some of Bach's most joyful music, and this performance will cheer you up on the darkest of winter days.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Recording To Hear, 26 Nov 2012
What can I say about a splendid cast like this for a performance of some of the most exquisite music? The four soloists are some of the best singers for this work and also the beautiful voice contrasts in the choral singing of King's College Choir is worth hearing. This is great for a super recording to be cheap to buy or to download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 21 Jan 2014
This is a marvellous recording. It did not win the CD review on BBC 3 but it seemed to me to be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct 2014
Excellent. Could do with one in English as we are singing it in English although I speak German.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, 1 Jan 2012
An excellent recorder made chtistmas day so tranquil well worth lisdtening on the 25th December I would recommend it to anyone who would like a change to the potted music for christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD ADDITION TO MY CD LIBRARY, 10 Jan 2012
This was a second-hand CD, but was in excellent condition. This is a work I am very fond of, and this particular recording is most pleasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping it was an English vocal edition., 31 Aug 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars bach for christmas, 4 Nov 2011
CATRIONA (STROMNESS, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this as we're singing part of the oratorio this Christmas. I chose this one because I love Janet Baker's voice and work - and I'm not disappointed. Will continue to listen, even after our concert

4.0 out of 5 stars Bach Christmas Oratorio (Ameling, Baker, Tear, Fischer-Dienskau, King's College Choir, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir P, 1 Feb 2009
Bought as a Christmas gift for a relative, this item has given endless hours of listening pleasure I'm told.

3.0 out of 5 stars A little more information..., 4 Oct 2010
For those buying this because you are performing it with your choir, please note this CD version is NOT sung in English. I am guessing it is sung in German, but am not 100%. Definitely not in English though.

Bach: Christmas Oratorio