5.0 out of 5 stars A performance of great distinction
I first wrote this about an earlier issue of this recording, which seems no longer to be available, so I reproduce it here.

Published on 7 Feb. 2012 by Musica Vita

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit like Christmas Pudding.
Nice. Sounds a bit ponderous and dated these days, sort of conscious of its own importance. Maybe its today's fashion that will expire but I prefer the lighter more agile and nimble performances of smaller ensembles. But hey, great tunes by Mr B. and lots of firepower from the stellar 'cast
Published 3 months ago by Mr Christopher J Little

5.0 out of 5 stars A performance of great distinction, 7 Feb. 2012
Musica Vita (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews

I have always considered the sound of the King's College Choir to be too lightweight and polite, and in this recording their German pronunciation is sometimes awry. Having got that off my chest, I can say that everything else about this performance is splendid. The playing of the Academy of St Martins is impeccable, Philip Ledger's direction inspired, with tempi just right (except for the Lullaby in Part 2 which might have been better slightly slower) and the soloists seem ideally suited to this music. Robert Tear is a persuasive, declamatory Evangelist and sings his arias with great feeling, and Elly Ameling is beautifully radiant. It is almost needless to say that Janet Baker and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau give performances of real distinction. His "Grosser Herr" in Part 1 will make you sit up and listen, but his delicate accompanied recitatives are even more moving. I find Janet Baker's "Schliesse mein Herz" in Part 3 to be her best aria here, although the others are also admirable. EMI's recording is of the best, and has overcome most of the notorious reverberation of King's College Chapel.

This is some of Bach's most joyful music, and this performance will cheer you up on the darkest of winter days.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Essential Recording To Hear, 26 Nov. 2012
What can I say about a splendid cast like this for a performance of some of the most exquisite music? The four soloists are some of the best singers for this work and also the beautiful voice contrasts in the choral singing of King's College Choir is worth hearing. This is great for a super recording to be cheap to buy or to download.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 21 Jan. 2014
This is a marvellous recording. It did not win the CD review on BBC 3 but it seemed to me to be the best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Feb. 2015
The most beautiful Christmas music there is - heavenly. MLMJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas, 1 Jan. 2012
An excellent recorder made chtistmas day so tranquil well worth lisdtening on the 25th December I would recommend it to anyone who would like a change to the potted music for christmas.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit like Christmas Pudding., 17 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars A GOOD ADDITION TO MY CD LIBRARY, 10 Jan. 2012
This was a second-hand CD, but was in excellent condition. This is a work I am very fond of, and this particular recording is most pleasing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 Oct. 2014
Excellent. Could do with one in English as we are singing it in English although I speak German.

3.0 out of 5 stars Was hoping it was an English vocal edition., 31 Aug. 2013
As my wife will be singing it with the choir she is in she was hoping it would be in English and not German. Thought about returning it unopened but looked for an English version on the WEB but could not find one so it would help if the description stated the language that it was sung in.

4.0 out of 5 stars bach for christmas, 4 Nov. 2011
CATRIONA (STROMNESS, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this as we're singing part of the oratorio this Christmas. I chose this one because I love Janet Baker's voice and work - and I'm not disappointed. Will continue to listen, even after our concert

Bach: Christmas Oratorio