Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 29 March 2005
I had heard of about 5 of the songs on here and I loved them, so I decided to buy it on the strength of those. I'm really glad I did. I soon recognised some of the other songs, such as Lucky Star (feat. Dizzee Rascal - he makes anything sound amazing), Bingo Bango, and Do Your Thing, which I think was on some kind of commercial.
I would rate the songs as follows:
Red Alert - one of my all time favourites - 10/10
Do Your Thing - I hadn't heard this for ages - 9/10
Jus 1 Kiss - 7/10
Flylife - 7/10
Samba Magic - 7/10
I feel that the album starts to lose its way with the last six tracks (except for Do Your Thing), but maybe it's because I haven't heard any of them before, and I'm sure they will grow on me.
Overall, an excellent album with loads of great songs that you should definitely go out and buy.
on 1 November 2005
I'd borrowed an Basement Jaxx CD (Remedy) off a friend previously and was a little dissapointed. It was wonderously experimental, but not necessarily very listenable. This singles collection is a whole different ball-game, though. The first CD is just end to end brilliant tracks - there probably isn't a duffer on there, and while there's a fair bit of experimental stuff in there, it all works an absolute treat. The second CD is perhaps a little less outstanding, but still has some great stuff on it. If you've heard a few of their singles and liked them, then I reckon you'll like this a whole lot, and if you're into some-what off the wall dance music, then you'll be well at home. For the money, it's an absolute bargain.
on 30 June 2005
This hasn't been out of my cd player since I bought it. Very very catchy, and a good variety of songs. Some I don't enjoy as much as others (lucky star), but some I love (plug it in)!
Excellent if you're a dance music fan & essential if you love Basement Jaxx!
VINE VOICEon 15 April 2005
I really don't have enough dance tunes in my collection so the release of this compilation came at just about the right time for me. And what a corker it is too. The Jaxx have been churning out top-quality tunes for ages, but have never really quite grabbed me enough to purchase a studio album. This however is the perfect compromise.<"Red Alert" is a funky stomper, "Where's Your Head At?" is funk-punk at it's best (if indeed that is even a genre of music at all) but my pick of the pack is the delightful "Romeo". A song so good that the Beckham's decided to name their daughter after it. Or perhaps not.
Other trakcs don't quite hit these heights, but all offer something different, and take on different styles, which is always a welcome feature of dance collections. New single "Oh My Gosh" is quite a grower too.
So all in all, this does exactly what is says it will do. It collects the Basement Jaxx singles in one handy collection, and proves that they are well worth a listen. Now let's all get on that dancefloor.
on 19 January 2015
In the nineties and noughties the electronic dance music act Basement Jaxx had an impressive run of chart hits with the likes of 'Red Alert', 'Where's Your Head At', 'Romeo', 'Good Luck', and 'Rendez Vu'. This largely successful, 15 song CD from 2005 shows just how they did it. Firstly, the unspectacular looking duo behind the group - Felix Buxton and Simon Ratcliffe -flavoured their ultra-bright take on house with a variety of influences, including the zany funk - and unconventional spelling - of Prince and Funkadelic, and the samba magic of Gilberto Gil and Sergio Mendes. Secondly, they decided, by and large, to collaborate with vocalists who weren't tremendously well-known but still had something distinctive to offer, such as The Bellrays' Lisa Kekaula, Corinna Joseph, Glamma Kid, and the wonderfully named Vula Malinga.

Unfortunately though, the final third of this plainly-titled, but colourfully decorated, Greatest Hits album - that isn't ordered chronologically - is a little weak. That is something which reflected in the relatively lowly chart positions for 'U Don't Me' (26) and 'Jus 1 Kiss' (23). The absence of the superior 'Get Me Off' from 2002 - their only single from 1996 to 2005 that isn't included here - is a little curious too.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 January 2014
I have always loved B.J. The songs on the album are the shorts, but it's better having these than having none of them! All my big faves are on here, plus a few I haven't heard. Really looking forward to playing this little lot! It's one of those albums I've been promising myself for some time. Today, I just couldn't wait any longer and had to have it.
on 22 October 2005
Fantastic album. Great for listening to in the car or before a night out.
VINE VOICEon 27 October 2007
Brilliant collection with most for their hits (up to mid 2007) on it, and containing lots of bits that have been used in adverts and on the TV shows such as 'Dancing with the Star's etc'.
In addition, it contains some excellent 'Get up and go' music for those long dark winter mornings when you need to get out of bed and go to work: You will be dancing while you make the toast with this lot on your CD player! Basically, a must have for every CD collection.
on 11 May 2009
Arguably the best exponents of House music from the mid 90s to the early Noughties, Jaxx's Singles collection doesn't have a dud on it. Best track 'Red Alert' featured in hit film 'Bend it like Beckham'.
on 21 July 2013
I have really enjoy listening to this album in the car, some great tunes on it. easy listening to bob your head to!!