4.0 out of 5 stars Completists only
I think some reviewers are missing the point here. Firstly, no one has to buy this cd and don't forget this was originally given away free of charge in the UK via the Daily Mail and also in Ireland if I can remember. So you didn't need to pay for it.
This release is actually an import and so demands a higher price (Yes far too high a price I agree).
The problem...
Published on 2 Mar. 2009 by Ramona A Stone

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Bowie - But This Doesn't Work
Firstly, I love Bowie's music. I have all of his releases, from all the way back. I happily bought, and enjoy, the Santa Monica CD recently. The man is legend, and he's almost always worthy of buying.

Almost.

Published on 30 Oct. 2008 by Vaughan

4.0 out of 5 stars Completists only, 2 Mar. 2009
This review is from: Iselect (Audio CD)
The problem is who actually owns the rights to these songs as you will notice that none of the great stuff from the last 20 years ever appears on compilations because Bowie seems to have control of these but not the earlier material!
Following Bowie's health problems it is not a surprise that he isn't doing much on the public front and I can understand that.
So why buy this? Well a fantastic new version of 'Time will Crawl' unavailable elsewhere is the one redeeming factor but otherwise no reason at all unless you are a completist.
I agree that something else should be out there now; 'Toy' or '2.Contamination' would satisfy fans but leave others bemused and that actually is exactly what we want from Bowie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Love Bowie - But This Doesn't Work, 30 Oct. 2008

Almost.

Because this is one heck of a let down. There are a few very good reasons for being annoyed by this release. Firstly, it reeks of "there hasn't been any new Bowie product in a while and Christmas is around the corner, so let's knock out another Greatest Hits package, with a cover modeled after the "Changes" hits packages from yesteryear."

Yes, apparently Bowie chose these tracks - and if you only know the chart hit it's rather eclectic. But it's just not enough. Which brings me to the next point.....

This CD totally misses the point about where the music industry is going - even if it doesn't want to. Look - I can make this CD myself in around half hour. I have all the original CD's, and it's a simple matter to make this compilation and make it myself. There simply is no compelling reason to fork out more money for the same old tunes in this day and age, when I can compile MY OWN favorites in less time than it would take Amazon to ship this disc to me. Which brings me to me third point.......

19 quid. The want 19 quid for this disc. In-store they're asking a cool 20 quid. Is anyone surprised the music industry is in a death spiral? I mean, I try to continue supporting artists I love, I really do. I buy lots of CD's. But they want 19 quid for a lame compilation of songs I already own. The Santa Monica disc didn't cost that, and that was an official release of much harder to find material. They're simply out of their minds.

I could rant longer - but won't. This release is ludicrous in the extreme. It's not about the songs. If you want to know what I think of the songs then it's very simple - each and every one of them is brilliant, wonderful, sublime. But the record label that put this out is insulting Bowie fans in the extreme. But then, we don't have to buy it, do we. I won't be.

Whatever happened to the wonderful reissues that were going on? The Young Americans 5.1 mix was great - the Aladdin Sane release with the bonus disc - the Diamond Dogs. Can't we get a super reissue of Station to Station, of the Berlin Trilogy - something with a bit of effort put it?!?!?

No - we get this. And over-priced waste of a release. Anyone interested should simply go buy the original albums these songs came from. But then, 99% of those reading this probably already have them.

Shame.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad album(Too high a price though!), 21 July 2010
This review is from: Iselect (Audio CD)
This is a good collection of obscure bowie tracks and a few well known ones. most people are complaining that the is nothing new here,have you all forgotten about the remix of time will crawl?(i though it was a superb remix!!) that isn't available on any other album. and 'some are' hasn't been available for a while. i do agree that 20 quid is way too much and i am sure there must have been more unreleased tracks available to the company to use(i mean 2 tracks isn't worth buying a whole cd) but that said i am 24 so i don't know all the stuff from the past that's why I bought this and it did introduce me to stuff i hadn't heard before, so maybe this was it's main purpose? The price is high due to the fact it is only available as an import. And to all those who still moan about the price, remember it was actually originally given away FREE in a U.K newspaper! that said I'm sure you can get it second-hand for like a fiver now anyway. Still a good CD, if ony for the new comer or die hard fan

4.0 out of 5 stars TOP NOTCH NEWSPAPER GIVEAWAY, 8 Jun. 2010
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Iselect (Audio CD)
This was given away with the Mail on Sunday originally and as freebies go, this is terrific. Bowie has seleted a great cross section from his career which is representative of his creative peaks and, to be fair, occasional lows too (Time Will Crawl). Not a bad starting point if you are new to Bowie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same,Same, Same, Same, is it any wonder., 4 Nov. 2008
Mr. M. A. West (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Iselect (Audio CD)
Yes Bowie fans well what do you expect, I think Bowie is now enjoying his Pension, does he need to work again.Thats why he hasn`t released anything as he can work through his back catalogue and let us mugs keep buying these pointless compilations.
I am the biggest Bowie fan and have been for over 30 odd years but I am getting fed up forking out money for the same old stuff.
When the rykodisc reissues came out I bought every one because there were bonus tracks , something I never heard before unlike this.
As Vaughan mentioned what about the Nassau recording as an extra for Stationtostation or the Aborted MWFTE soundtrack as an extra for Low , or releasing Toy.
If this doesn`t happen how about Mr Bowie coming out of retirement!

4.0 out of 5 stars pleasing if not entirely satisfying, 15 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Iselect (Audio CD)
With so many collections and compilations on the market this could be seen as another attempt by a record company to extract more money from the Bowie enthusiast but it does contain some worthwhile tracks which fit together well. One oddity is the last track (Hang on to yourself) taken from the Live in Santa Monica CD. An oddity not only because the nature of the track is rather at odds with the rest of the selction but also the quality of the recording (it having been taken from a bootleg recording) is rather inferior. It thus brings a jarring conclusion to the CD. On the plus side there are some fine tracks with the well known Life on Mars? to the less well known The Bewlay Brothers Lady Grinning Soul and Teenage Wildlife. Some personal favourites such as Time and Rock n Roll Suicide (perhaps a better choice for the concluding track)are absent but all the same this CD should not be overlooked even by those who may possess all other published Bowie music to date.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 10 Feb. 2014
This review is from: iSelect (MP3 Download)
Good choice of random David Bowie songs for playing in the car or on MP3 player when busy at work

iSelect