5.0 out of 5 stars This is where the Journey Begins, 8 April 2003
I love Dead Can Dance they are one of the best musical groups of the 80's and 90's. For me this is where there style began. Their first two albums had hints of what would come but from Within the Realm of a Dying Sun to Aion is a complete work that can be listened to from beginning to end. This is a must listen to for any musician wanting to learn how to create feeling, depth and sound out of limited instruments. This band created a sound, a language that feels ancient and primal and yet moves the listener not via dance or trite lyrics but with resonance to that part of our soul that responds to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brought me to my knees, 16 Jun 2003
By A Customer
This is one of of the most awesome albums ever made.Ive lost count as to how many times ive listened to it, but if you want to feel the true power of music, then get this album. When I first heard it, it had a profound effect on me, no other group has touched me like Dead can Dance, and all thier albums are stunning (althought to be honest i think the cracks were showing with spiritchaser) this one has been produced like its made out of solid stone towers sound, creating music thats deeply resonating with humaness,enigmatic and powerful.No one else can touch it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dark Orchestral Manoeuvres, 23 Sep 2000
S. Porter (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It sounds just like the cover looks.Brooding, mournful, uplifting descent into myriad darkness and light. Production so thick you can almost cut it with a knife. If this album were cloth it would be a heavy linen Bayeux Tapestry.Moody deep voiced vocals from Brendan Perry offset by the spry octane of Lisa Gerrard and songs of such mesmerism you wonder how the hell anyone manages to find such inspiration. I really think you owe yourself this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars This must be what heaven sounds like!!, 23 Jun 2006
This is one of my all time favorite albums, since buying this in 87 it gets a regular airing.

The music just takes me to another place, the production and quality are second to none. Mixing neo classical with folk is probably the best description I would apply to this masterpiece.

Gothic gloom some might say, probably they would be right. If only I could find another band that still makes this sort of music I would be happy. The nearest I've found are an Italian band called Gothica, any other contenders out there?

Buy it, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolutely beautiful album!, 26 May 2000
Dead Can Dance have been around for a while now, and seem to have dabbled in a number of different musical styles. But for me, this early DCD release is their finest, and its one of my all-time favourites. It contains the kinds of moments to make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, with its luscious, echoing chords and ethereal singing. Needs to be played at great volume to be appreciated to its fullest! Can't recommend this enough to anyone who loves music that makes you listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, 11 May 2001
By A Customer
This CD starts with brooding, orchestral gothic tones that really really grow on you after a few listens. This, however, only sets you up to be absolutely blown away by the final 3 tracks.. which just soar onward and up into something the likes of which I have never heard before. Words cannot describe something that makes your hair stand on end, but suffice to say that this music, although darkly pagan, is not the typical gothic "wallowing in self pity", it is tremendously empowering, defiant and above all truely beautiful. I feel I could stare down the sun after listening to this.

5.0 out of 5 stars DCD at their grandest, 17 Feb 2003
N. Clarke (Lancs, UK) - See all my reviews
While Dead Can Dance's music was always more baroque and eclectic than the 'goth' label might suggest, _Within the Realm of a Dying Sun_ is certainly one of the more brooding entries in their back catalogue. Of their early material (which is to say, before the more overtly 'ethnic' stylings of _Into the Labyrinth_ onwards), this is by far the best. Making superb use of Lisa Gerrard's astonishing vocal range, it runs the full gamut from dark-and-langourous to soaring inspiration. As usual, Perry's vocal contributions take a little longer to get used to; 'Xavier' sounds like 80s pop, albeit DCD-style.
It also contains 'Cantara', which for me is Dead Can Dance's best single track, and a reason to buy the album in itself: a glorious, undulating kaleidoscope of sound that just begs you to turn up the hi-fi...

5.0 out of 5 stars It's always a pleasure................., 18 Oct 2002
Upon hearing This Mortal Coil's first album in the mid eighties I pursued the artists that had contributed to it, and the 4AD label. I'd been a fan of the Cocteau Twins anyway but my research had opened new doors of listening pleasure. Xmal, the Muses, and of course the Dead Can Dance.
As an avid music listener and buyer, my tastes are wide and varied and this sits nicely alongside my hip hop, house, classical and pop.
I was pleased to hear how Lisa Gerrard's voice became a part of the Gladiator soundtrack, although it's a pity it doesn't grace the whole of the movie.
I can't help but get emotional at the thought of how appropriate their sound would be on a film like The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. If you haven't heard a DCD album before then buy this and you'll know what I mean.
This is a great album......don't miss out on the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 18 Aug 2012
This album is one of my favourite musical works ever, at over twenty years old it still gets played more than just about anything else on my shelves. It holds a special place in my heart, and we even played parts at our wedding when my wife came down the aisle to Summoning of the Muse. Dead Can Dance have created some incredible music over the years, but this stands out as their best. Do your ears a massive favour and buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dead can Dance, 26 Nov 2011
Mr. G. Ross "Glenn" (UK) - See all my reviews
I have this album on vinyl already so knew it was great. If anyone is thinking of starting to listen to Lisa Gerrard or the group Dead can dance then you couldn't find a better album to begin your journey.