Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 31 August 2013
This first album from Dead Can Dance is in the opinion of I a must for fans of Dead Can Dance. I have since the early start of Dead Can Dance been listened to them, but never been a dedicated fan. After a concert at the "Roskilde Festival" at the Arena Stage this year (2013) I was so moved by their perfomance, that I am now a devoted fan. Their music touched my inner feelings in a way that only a handfull of bands is able to. And tears were flowing. Seldom have I've heard such a performance.

Their music seems to be a combination of traditional music from New Zeeland, classical music, pop and a touch of early 4AD rock!

My best recommendations

Niels Peter Hermansen
on 5 June 2013
I was a late comer to the pleasures of Dead Can Dance so its taken a while for me to catch up. This was a great introduction to the original music DcD produce - joins a growing collection.
on 31 July 2007
For the people who only know the later work this may be a little raw, but remember when this was released, there was nothing else like it! Still one of my favourites and in my top ten.
on 29 November 2000
The entirity of this cd is more equal than the sum of it's parts! With it's moroccan influenced beats and rythmns, fluent throughout, if you 'aint been' chilled out before you hear this, then you will after! It is totally superb. It is not my usual style of music and is very much -an aquired taste, however it's non-intrusive quality and consistent soothing beats has a mellowing impact, that takes you away from the hustle and bustle of daily life. An absolute must for creating good karma etc (if you're in to that).
on 20 March 2015
This is quite an early Dead Can Dance album mostly lacking the quality that I like in this band. However there are two songs I like (Frontier and Musica Eternal), the rest is forgettable.
Good Music
on 21 May 2008
This is a special, limited de-luxe edition. It is a STEREO, HYBRID SACD - in other words, it is not a multi-channel release but it CAN be played on a regular CD player and does NOT require special SACD hardware. The album has been re-mastered by Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab in the USA and these pressings are packaged in Japanese, mini-vinyl replicas of the original sleeves, including replicas of any inner sleeves, plus an additional booklet with lyrics.
on 15 August 2008
into me-it is MY favorite album of them all, SPLEEN and ARCANE being at 4.7 stars. I was beginning to think 'pop' music had entered into a vast wasteland,with no future- and had died. I then bought this-just because it was on 4AD. I was stunned by the instruments, playing, arrangements, vocals and material=their sound.
What became of the other lads who played on this-?
I hope Brendan and Lisa remember them when royalty checks roll in-have they disappeared-one played tympani on SPLEEN-and then-? Their playing was top notch- and so were some of the arrangements-if they had any say in them.

The subjects and lyrics put them so far above most of the dross around them, that I felt hope again, for music
This reminds me of the joys of Summer of 1984, and listening to it again-in better sound is -soul stirring;
I wonder if the 'Summer of Love' in 1967 was like this ?
Some dont give it full respect because it has an 80's guitar/goth motif. Meh!
The lyrics were profound with out being pretentious. Ocean, Fortune, WITW are my favorites.
AS they became more complex, eclectic and 'world' and the pretentions grew, I lost interest;
'How Fortunate the Man with None' -a fine piece im sure, but a little of this goes a long way
Dont get me wrong on DCD -the lyrics and subjects are generally well done.
But album after album it starts sounding like a 4AD Priest pontificating the nature of the universe.
With FULL respect for the man-does he ever feel/express joy-or smile? He is like a musical TARKOVSKY( a master, also)-continually profound, deep and serious-from what Ive listened to-and what I am generally drawn to;
DYING SUN and the rest I tried, but couldnt get into-and I enjoy eclectic music- PORTALS OF GRACE by Azam Ali is an example. It is in the same vein as DCDs later music, with a reverential, but fresh outlook. GET IT!
It would have been interesting to hear a later DCD album done in the vein of #1, but with the new insights and writing skills they had acquired along the way-a stripped down middle eastern-Goth 'rock' album as was #1.
Who knows? I may at some point rehear and appreciate some of the later discs.
I wonder what events caused the breakup-? She has been VERY busy. I hope they may one day reunite-and not just for musical reasons
The less I say of Lisa's work the better-words would only get in the way. Except my love for the stringed instrument she played-gone after SPLEEN?
OH-and I hate the terms World and New Age brrrrrrrrrrr;

I will say thought, that the world would be a MUCH poorer place had DCD not come into being...
on 16 September 2015
ok
on 22 April 2004
This album doesn't sound like any of the other Dead Can Dance albumsexcept for the obvious presence of Lisa Gerrard and Brendan Perry. Itsounds more like one of the more typical 4AD bands, with a basis of guitar(almost entirely absent from later albums), bass and conventionaldrums.
I can't say that any of the tracks stand out for me, and it's the onlyDead Can Dance CD that I don't listen to. I don't doubt the talent that isthere, but it just isn't the same Dead Can Dance of later albums.