4.0 out of 5 stars Warmth and spirit, 8 Mar 2013
This is a beautiful disk. The harpsichord is unusually mellow and warm. (I wish the notes told you what harpsichord it was.) The pieces are played with insight, and liveliness wherever required. I'd have given it five stars if it were not quite so popular - too familiar for my taste. I would rather have had something else than the Bach Italian Concerto. But beautiful renditions of everything. Les Barricades Mystérieuses is particularly lovely. No-one is sure what the 'Barricades' refer to; I've never heard masks suggested before. More often it is thought to be a reference to the unresolved harmonies or crossed bar-lines. Altogether if you want an introduction to this music, you could not do better. You may never want to hear these pieces on the piano again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 28 Mar 2012
Thomas Pots "T Pots" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This collection of 18th century harpsichord music brings together works by Johann Sebastian Bach, Jacques Duphly, Francois Couperin, Jean-Philippe Rameau, George Frederic Handel, Louis-Claude Daquin, and Guiseppe Domenico Scarlatti. The pieces go together nicely, not least because of the way in which Sophie Yates plays them.

Sophie Yates has a longstanding reputation as a superb harpsichord player, yet even here in this early (1995) recording, her expertise shines through. I generally go for lively harpsichord pieces, so for me the highlights are Le Cyclopes (6), Le Coucou (12), and Keyboard Sonata in A Major (15). Of these, Le Cyclopes is one of the best renditions of I've heard anywhere. That said, Sophie Yates plays with terrific dexterity and subtlety throughout, making the whole album an enjoyable listen. The recordings are crisp and clear, so no complaints there.

The cover shows François Boucher's portrait of Marie-Louis O'Murphy c1752 (a mistress of King Louis XV of France). I have no idea what the connection is between it and the music. Perhaps someone could enlighten me.