1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnficent! Awe inspiring! Fantastic!, 3 April 2007
This Slatkin and BBC performance on the conductors transcriptions takes off exactly from where these artists left us with their CD on the composers transcriptions. Which is in Bach heaven!
Among the many many beautiful transcriptions, the pieces Woods transcribed as a 6th orchestra suite, how he puts it, stand out particularly, where he chose to apply to an fully assembled orchestra pieces like preluds from the well-tempered piano, for instance.
As the other above mentioned CD, this one is awefully well recorded. I don't know how they did it, but I never heard anything acustically so overwhelming than these two CDs, (and my CD collection is quite big). And this is especially interesting, since I don't (yet) even own a SACD-player, which this hybrid CD is actually aiming at.
Maybe it is due to this aspect than in some moments I feel there is still (!) more acustic potential on the CD than my stereo is capable of rendering. Or maybe just a still better high-end stereo would do the job. But let us not forget that the search for the perfect equipment musn't overshadow our capability of simply enjoying music. This is all the more true when I, (or shall I say: we?) think of those junk stereos of my / our youth which were nevertheless able of transporting me / us into states of wonder and perfect bliss.
So I cannot recommend enough this item, remarkable in terms of composition, performance and recording tecnics.
In the end, one cannot but praise again the performing artists. The BBC orchestra reveals itself a first class group of musicians.
I don't know whether the most marvelous instrumentation of all the pieces is entirely due to the transcribers, or if maybe Slatkin intervened in the choice of instruments. Anyway, Slatkin surely deserves to be praised for this most delightful CD!