Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£7.99

on 7 April 2005
The follow up to "The Decline Of British Sea Power" (which is also a must have item) is truely brilliant. From the opener which is the first single "It Ended On An Oily Stage" you know where you stand with this band. "Please Stand Up" and "Oh Larsen B" are classics but for me the best track is "North Hanging Rock". It is an exciting time for music, and "Open Season" is another classic album that you must add to your collection.
0Comment3 of 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2005
Am enjoying Open Season, which I feel is more consistent than the Decline Of BSP - that was an album I just couldn't get into, perhaps because it was less catchy. Open Season isn't great but it is rather good. My one opinion I wish to give, however, is the band's similarity to a great, forgotten, early 90s band from Ireland called The Fat Lady Sings. They released 2 wonderful albums - 'Twist' and 'Johnson'. The vocalist in BSP reminds me very much of Nick Kelly from TFLS. Whispering, evocative and powerful at times. If you like BSP check out those albums I mentioned.
0Comment5 of 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 May 2006
This is a great album with some wonderfully catchy songs. It can however be accused of sounding all the same. This doesn't really affect me much as I rather like, as i'm sure many people will, the soft voice and deep lyrics backed by a great, soft rock-style band. A great album which many could listen to all day. I bought this on a whim, not having heard of any new bands recently, and I was not disapointed. If you like that new trend of soft rock that's around right now, you will like this.
0Comment2 of 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2005
Forget the Darkness, Coldplay and the current army of electro pop-rockers.
This is the good stuff.
Only two listens and I can tell this will be one of those albums I'll always have right next to my CD player.
0Comment7 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 July 2013
Nothing really wrong with this but what I really wanted was the soundtrack to the film/tv programme From the Sea to the Land Beyond but this seems to only be available as a (expensive) DVD, which I don't want as I've already seen it! This album is not up to the same standard or style. Probably fine for BSP fans but only ordinary to me.
on 19 May 2005
Easy to listen to but it sounds a lot like a mixture of The Thrills and Snow Patrol to me. True Adventure shines out above the rest because it has an extra something.
0Comment1 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 May 2005
Having seen BSP live several times over the last 3 years, having loved their first few singles, and really enjoyed The Decline of British Sea Power, I had high hopes for Open Season...how wrong I was. BSP seem to have settled down into a comfort zone, never reaching the heights of their previous work, and getting nowhere near the raw energy that they display onstage. Avoid this album, and instead try and pick up recordings of live performances.
0Comment5 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2006
Middle-of-the-road. I can't see what the appeal is, it sounds to me like some half formed ideas cobbled together to pad out an album. The guy's voice is very breathy and weak. Oh, but don't forget how wacky they are.
0Comment6 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 May 2005
i bought this album because i've read so much on NME about how good this band are. i didn't egt a chance to listen to the first album and my friend tol dme about the release of 'open season' and said it would be quality.
after looking it up on amazon.co.uk i saw alot of positive reviews which added to the theory this abnd would be amazing.
i was pleasently surpriseed. it is hard to listen to. the first track is good, it ended on an oily stage' but frustratingly i just cant get into this.
the singers voice is soft. i want to get into it so ill keep listening to try.
0Comment4 of 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse