Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.49

on 28 July 2006
There are not many complete recordings of Elgar's Light of Life, based on the blind man's story recored in John's Gospel, one of the most moving religeous catatas he wrote. This Chandos recording has better sound quality and more broadly paced than the EMI recording, and is performed by finest singers and choir. Opening Prelude, Meditation is one of the most sublime and poignant music Elgar ever wrote, and here it is played with much warmth and profundity. Highly recommendable for anyone who would like to explore Elgar's choral works of amazing originality and inspiration.
on 31 December 2010
This has long been a favourite Elgar work for me. I probably listen to it more than any of The Kingdom, The Dream of Gerontius or The Apostles. The whole work is a description of Christ's healing of the blind man and predates the other three oratorios above. It is around one hour in length but with such wonderful melodies and orchestrations (I can't write this without hearing the music in my head!) and is a mystery why it is not more often performed. The arrival of the organ pedals at the end of the Meditation (overture) brings tears to my eyes every time. The central theme is highly memorable - indeed Elgar quotes from it in The Apostles when referring to Jesus as 'the light of the world'. If the oratorios of Elgar are your taste then buy this recording without hesitation or regret and settle down for a real treat.
on 17 April 2013
Why is this work not better known, I wonder? I only heard of it myself quite recently and I've been in love with Elgar since 1956. I still need to play it over and over again, but fortunately have several years left in which to enjoy it.
on 17 November 2015
This is superb, I think I prefer it to The Dream of Gerontius and that also superb! Unfortunately I cannot compare this recording with others as I have yet to hear them. However, I chose this (and Dream of Gerontius and The Kingdom) on the Chandos label, with Richard Hickox and the London Symphony Orchestra, on recommendation and I am not disappointed.
on 18 November 2013
A re-mastered edition of one of the excellent series of Chandos recordings by Richard Hickox, who brought his usual fervour and dramatic interpretation to a relatively unknown Elgar score. Great support from the immaculate LSO and LSO Chorus, of whom Hickox was Chorus Master, with four class soloists.
on 29 September 2015
Excellent
on 22 December 2014
I bought it to rehearse with before a concert. Very tuneful and pleasant early Elgar.
on 28 April 2015
Great CD - worthwhile purchasing for any classical collector. Very clear sound.