5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart: The Abduction from the Seraglio, 22 Aug. 2012
Mr. James R. Dales (UK) - See all my reviews
I was introduced to this version 40 years ago when, by chance, I borrowed the record set from my local library. I fell in love with it and tried to purchase it. I even
phoned Decca records in London who told me that it was "out of print" but to try a company in Norwich. I contacted the company, who had one copy left. I purchased it and have had many years of pleasure listening to it. I have been trying to obtain a CD version of the record for the past eight years. I cannot express my joy at finding the exact version of this recording on CD at Amazon. This version also comes with the Libretto and the whole comical Opera is sung in English. Since purchasing
this CD box set I have hardly played anything else on my CD player. THANK YOU AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 21 May 2002
By A Customer
I'm a great fan of Mozart operas but certainly not an expert of them or any other opera for that matter. I heard this opera years ago, but to be honest am not a fan of opera in the German language and did not really bother with it much.
I was looking forward to this and it was well worth the wait.
The translation is first-rate, memories of wh;en I first heard it came rushing back!! The singers are all good. I had not heard of any of them before this recording but from reading the booklet supplied they were in their hayday when I was 2 years old. Best of all the quality of the recording is faultless, which is good considering this was recorded in 1968.
As usual the Opera In English series has come up trumps. My only gripe with them is that this is only the second Mozart opera to be recorded. ENO have had Figaro, Cosi & Don Giovanni translated very well by Jeremy Sams and Amanda Holden, so there's no excuse really.
I gave it 4 stars because as I said I'm not an expert on opera or singing so I did not want to go over the top, but I highly recommend this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 27 Oct. 2013
ziggy_fan (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
It's one of the most accessible operas in the repertoire, musically and dramatically, but made even more accessible here to us English speakers with the very thoughtfully written translation from the original German. I don't think it's one of Mozart's best operas (for me anyway) but it is fun and has some of the most memorable arias and uplifting ensembles. Quite funny too in parts. The conducting from Menuhin is excellent and the cast are top notch and excellent diction. You can pretty much follow it all without need to pre read the plot, if you're not familiar with the libretto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Mozart singing by any standard, 26 Oct. 2006
Gedda is in fine voice and the other members of the cast are all first rate. An excellent set.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Aug. 2014
Interesting in that it is sung in English