Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.92

on 20 November 2006
I first heard this amazing album a few years ago when I was only new to the band and I have never looked back since then. I didn't get into the it on my first listen, it took about 5 or 6 listens to fully appreciate the sheer majesty, beauty and the pure unrivalled genius of this album. It is definitely an album that you can lie on your bed with the lights out and imagine that you are on another plane of existence, or perhaps that you are back in ancient Sumerian times and listening to it from start to finish without skipping a single track. The only possible gripe I have with this awesome album is that 'For Her Light' is cut a bit too short and ends very abruptly: but its only a minor fault with a flawless and otherwise timeless piece of musical art like this. But if I was to burn a copy for a friend I would definitely put the full version of 'For Her Light' on instead of the cut version and possibly Psychonaut on as well. One unfortunate thing about this band of superb musicians is that not very many people have heard of them and would possibly be quite ignorant of great music like this and would rather listen to their bland and generic made for the masses top 40 charts music and what not. To all you goth wannabes who listen to fake so-called manufactured Gothic bands like Evanescence, My Chemical Romance & Aiden etc you should listen the true godfathers of the genre.
on 13 August 2002
When FOTN recorded Elizium in 1990 they had taken over the mantle of the most important underground cult band in the country. Their live shows were monumental affairs, attracting legions of devoted followers who followed them around the country to partake in shows that Carl McCoy termed 'rituals'. As far as I am concerned this band were the last great music group, tapping into various types of 70s 'rock' and taking musical mysticism to its natural conclusion. By the time they split up a year later, the music industry was entering a nadir that was probably almost as bad as the gluttonous low-point it is at at the present time (2002). I'm afraid the Stone Roses were just not up to the task of single-handedly carrying independent music on their backs at this time. If FOTN had followed up Elizium with another studio album in 91 or 92 things could have been different. Why? Well, all you have to do is listen to this record. The sheer scope, range and ambition of the piece is startling, even on the first listen. From the rumbling intro of 'Dead but Dreaming' to the achingly beautiful descent of 'And there will your Heart be also' this is a record crafted in... well Elizium. It is fundamentally a record in a single piece: a symphony in allegros, andantes and a finale. It has a sense of completeness that satisfies as no other record I have ever listened to. Permeated as it is with a near obsession with Sumerian mythology, the band have somehow managed to catch the essence of an ancient time and place, several steps removed from reality. There is simply not a weak point in the writing, musicianship, or the engineering. Even the Aleister Crowley samples sound good! It is very difficult to listen to a single song in isolation -- the album needs to be appreciated in full, because there is such a seemless blend between each piece of music. And that music is of the highest quality and imagination. Most especially, the two-piece finale 'Wail of Sumer/ And there will your Heart be also', a 14-minute cascade of puncturing bass, swirling guitars, airy vocals (yes McCoy does do airy vocals!) and ethereal pipes are directed at a higher level of consciousness. This record is a genuine masterpiece in every sense of the word, and I doubt whether the purported rebirth of FOTN in September 2002 will be able to muster anything near it.
on 31 May 2004
With "Elizium", the F.O.T.N. produced a multi faceted album of awesome power and beauty.
All the tracks have much to offer! From the light and shade of the four part opening suite, via "Submission" with it's intense wah wah guitars to the closing hypnotic climax of "Wail of Sumer/And there will your heart be also" a slow haunting song in which the guitars of Peter Yates and Paul Wright gently float up to the surface and take over from Carl McCoy's vocals almost leaving the listener unaware of whats happening.
This is a classic rock album of epic proportions, and a fitting end[?] to the F.O.T.N.s career. It should not be missed
on 23 July 2001
And, having deliberately wound up the goth purists, can this really be an accurate description of this album?
Yup. The album starts with clouds of smoke and fear and the certainty that something hugely impressive and fearsome is coming your way... and it doesn't drop you until the final note bleeds away.
Lyrically a trip through the pagan notion of death and reincarnation, the album is more like a continuation of the Psychonaut single that preceeded it than the previous albums. It is lusher, and warmer and darker...
The Floydian influences really kick in with Sumerland, the riff from which is pretty similar to PF's Run Like Hell, from the Wall album, and continue through the closing epic Wail of Sumer, a two part song with the most brain-crushing bassline that marches deliberately through the song, brushing aside all that gets in it's way. Meanwhile the twin guitars soar like PF's Dave Gilmour above the music, and Carl McCoy sells us the notion of an eternity in his pagan heaven.
For me, the apogee of the early years, this woefully under-valued band's third LP sums up all that was best about the Neph.
Sorry if it upsets anyone to hear it reminds me of Pink Floyd. At least I didn't reveal the first song on Marillion's Anoraknophobia has a neph bassline...
on 9 November 2004
Quite simply and without doubt the best album ever made. I never tire of listening to this. It starts with power and ends perfectly. It is such a beautifully crafted 50 minutes that, in my opinion, will never be bettered. The final two tracks, Wail of Sumer and And There Your Heart Will Be Also take you away and make you wish it never ends. The band are sorely missed. Awesome!
on 23 February 2008
I bought this album as soon as it was released and I love it now just as much as I did way back then. This is undoubtedly the best album I have ever heard.

I loved Fields of the Nephilim. I saw them play live many times and wish I could transport myself back to those awesome days again.

Back in my student days I used to lie on my bed with the lights off and a few candles lit just immersing myself in the masterpiece that is Elizium. Nowadays, sadly, I don't have the time for that so I play it on my iPod when out walking or in the car when I'm alone so no-one can break the spell cast by this incredible album.
on 19 July 2011
I bought elizium again as was such a bargain price, my original is on vinyl. Still one of my favourite albums ever. it was a change of sound for The nephilim which I loved, they said it was there pink floyd moment as was recorded at pink floyds barge studio I believe. It really is Nephilims dark side of the moon, this is a beautiful album from a gifted song writer/singer/artist and truely underated british band. I love the way the songs drift into one another all dreamy, it definately has the mood of dark side of the moon. "For her light" the single from the album is another great Nephilim single, I can't remember them making a bad one they were and are still great. I love them, you will too.Fields Of The Nephilim - Revelations / Forever Remain / Visionary Heads [2002] [DVD]also buy this to see them at there best in concert performing the beautiful "at the gates of silent memory"(a true classic from this album) plus so many more of there previous outstanding catalogue.(Longevity).
VINE VOICEon 6 December 2003
The Nephilim really came of age with Elizium. Producer, Andy Jackson, made Carl McCoys vocals (and his lyrics) accessible and opened up some of the most beautiful and haunting melodies ever recorded. The final two tracks, Wail of Sumer and There Will Your Heart Be Also, are utterly compelling and take you on a journey that you simply don’t want to return from. Dare I say it but these two tracks are like a Gothic Pink Floyd - they take their time and build layers of sound sublimely well – all driven by superb bass-lines. In my opinion, this is a stone-cold classic album that truly deserves to find a wider audience.
on 4 September 2009
This album just oozes quality from start to finish. I haven't listened to the earlier albums for years, but I keep coming back to this one time and time again. This has to rank as one of the best rock albums of the decade. The album just seems to build and build until it reaches its atmospheric climax in Wail of Sumer/And There Will Your Heart Be Also. Musically and lyrically this is the Nephs at their finest, so if you're vaguely interested in what all the fuss was about a bunch of blokes in cowboy-inspired gear chucking flour around on stage, then get this album, put it on and turn the volume up! I promise that you will not be disappointed
on 16 July 2000
For those who laugh at Goth rock and dismiss it as something that sad teenagers listen to when they haven't got any friends, listen to this album. It may not be easily accessible, but a lot of true art isn't, and perseverance is well worth your while. The music ranges from hard, almost heavy, rock to the more subtle delicacy of "And there will your heart be also" and Carl McCoy's vocals display a hitherto-unseen poignancy. I have listened to a hell of a lot of music over the last twenty years, but this is the best album that I have ever, ever heard. Miss out at your peril.