4.0 out of 5 stars Their most underrated album turns out to be their best too!, 24 Nov 2001
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
"Up To Our Hips" came out in that glorious year of 1994 - the year Britpop finally became massive - and if we take a look back at it, it's a pity that an album like this only got such little notice from both fans and critics alike. Less accessible than The Charlatans' post-Britpop works, "Up To Our Hips" still manage to offer some exciting moments - the surprise being the choice of prog-rock/psychedelics as main source of inspiration, rather than the usual Northern soul charm. Particular favourites: the opening "Come in Number 21" - Stone Roses with killer organs, "Patrol" - laid-back, groovy bass by Martin Blunt on this one, "Feel Flows" - clavinet vs bass instrumental showdown, and the closing epic "Inside Looking Out". An underrated masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars white soul on the rocks, 10 April 2003
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
This album is clearly and without doubt their best recording and even the b-sides which accompanied the singles are special to say the least. Martin Blunt was the driving force which left the sound bass heavy and very very soulful. This is the one album in my collection that I come back to time and time again and never tire of. If you are considering a starting point for the charlatans then buy this album ( and its singles ) and also their first album ( some friendly ) as these are the tunes which made them. Lets hope they put out a special 10th anniversary edition complete with the songs that never made it on to the album. Feel flows originally had lyrics and was called " it's only the music". I managed to find a demo of the song and think it should get a release as it's such a good tune. Maybe I'll have to e-mail their old record company and beg them for a special edition :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Charlatans dark, brooding masterpiece, 3 Oct 2012
northcountrygirl (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
I'm a slight Charlatans obsessive and own every single, album, plus most re-mixes, promos etc. I still struggle to this day with the album's predecesor the unfocussed, poorly produced Between 10th and 11th, but Up to Our Hips for me was The Charlatans finding their sound and their Masterpiece. 10 track albums leave no room for filler and Up to Our Hips is still the only Charlatans album I own which doesn't have me reaching to skip a single tack.

Recorded during one of many difficult times for the band, this time whilst original keyboard player Rob Collins was serving time for his role in an armed robbery. This is reflected in the darker, more somber mood of the album. There are several lyrical references from Tim Burgess such as "shoot it up lets go for a ride" "I wanna patrol the innocent mind" and closing track "inside looking out"

The album isn't without it's lighter indie pop moments in the brilliant singles "Can't Get Out of Bed" and "Jesus Hairdo" but but what makes the album great is the darker, bass heavy tacks such as the "Patrol" "Up to Our Hips" and proggy instrumental "Feel flows". From start to finish up to our hips is an album which has to be listened to as a whole and even 16 years on since I purchased it, still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on edge.

4.0 out of 5 stars While the keyboard player sits in jail., 11 Feb 2004
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
You can't help but reflect, when listening to this album, what it would have sounded like had Rob Collins (RIP) not been banged up during the recording of the album. The Snyth Sounds of the much under rated Between 10th and 11th, the Charlatans previous album, gives way to a bass driven, dirty, bluesy sound that the charlatans have never recaptured since. Listen to the sleazy sounds of Patrol or Another Rider Up in Flames, to see what i measn, There are darker monets that you would normally expect such as I never want an easy life,Apparently tim Burgess's Homage to rob Collins.
This isn't the charlies best album, but it is ther most adventurous. Between 10th and 11th was an attempt to get away from the madchester soaked, Some Friendly and Since Up to our Hips the Charlies slowly slid away into Tim Burgess's Bob Dylan Heaven (not that is a bad thing)
On this album, without the rare talents of Rob Collins, the rest of the band seem to have expressed themselves more, filling the gapping chasm that Robs absence must have left in the studio,They always had a fantasic singer and an highly talanted Drumer, but the bassist and mark Collins the gituarist come to the floor, the bass lines drive through the album, more like Mani in the roses or Paul Ryder did in the Mondays. Its gives the Album a fuller heaveir sound a quality that ecohes in later songs like Forever.
Whats more Classic sounding charlies songs such as Can't Get Out Of Bed and Jesus hair do contrast with the moodier darker songs giving the album an exciting feel.Like I said, not there finest moment but one that showed, if there was any doubt, that they were more that a Stone Roses Cover band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bass driven soul, 6 Jun 2001
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
The best album by The Charlatans, known to most as Martin Blunt's album. This shows with fantastic deep funky bass (not an overestimation) and an up to date mod feel. Many claim The Charlatans are a poor mans Prisoners, but organ heavy compositions such as "Up To Our Hips" and "Feel Flows" on this album shows how wrong they are.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Charlatan's Best Album So Far, 27 Jan 2000
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
This is personally my favourite Charlatans album out of the 7 they have released, and although it was critically-panned at the time it features a fantastic blend of smooth Indie rock which is perfect for chilling out to. The tempo is slower than their most recent albums and more reminicent of Some Friendly, their debut album. More dependent upon guitars, this album should have a wide appeal to almost anybody- ranging from the youthful and speedy "Can't get out of bed" to the sleepier and exceptionally cool "Patrol". It's definitely worth checking out - and a must for any Charlatan fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars SWEET YOUR OPINION, 15 Jan 2001
This review is from: Up To Our Hips (Audio CD)
THIS IS ABOUT MUSIC.LYRICS DONT MATTER ,EVERYTHING FLOWS INTO A SEAMLESS COLLISION ARRIVING ON INSIDE LOOKING OUT .EVERY MOMENT PROVIDES A FEELING OF ELATION CLIMAXING IN AN ORGASM OF HAPPINESS .PERFECT ANYTIME ANYWHERE ANYWHO.NEXT ALBUM IS GOOD BUT THE LAST TWO SEEM TO BE NOTHING BUT A MONOTONOUS COMBINATION OF ORGANS AND GUITARS.I THINK THIS ALBUM SHOWS THAT THEY ARE MORE THAN A ONE MAN TABLOID MACHINE.

Up To Our Hips