Format: MP3 DownloadChange

on 4 April 2005
Ratatat's debut album is another piece of superb music coming from NYC. Together with TV on the Radio, this guitar duo are -in my opinion- the most innovative band in the "popular" independent music scene.
Despite what can be said, this is mainly a guitar album. The two guitars create extremely rich music all over the album, through a perfect combination of melodies and armonies; moreover, the absence of vocals contributes to this feeling that we are listening to musicians rather than to rockstars. Besides, there is an electronic programming which is variate, original and with good taste, in contrast to other efforts by less talented bands (the Killers for example), and gives the album both rythm and a modern atmosphere.
Some people objected that the 11 songs are kind of similar. After every listen I disagree more and more. The album combines high-tempo songs (as Seventeen Years, Breaking Away -my fave- or Germany to Germany) with more ambient songs, and the voice cuts between some songs are yet another subtility of the album.
I don't really manage to find a similar artist, maybe it can remind vaguely The Notwist, but this is definetely a piece of new music, worth checking by your own, especially if you are fed up of post-Strokes bands.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2004
It's difficult for new artist to add to the accumulated musical capital but Ratatat have done so. Here we have instrumentals written with passion and delivered with thoughtfulness. The album hangs together well. I have several hundred CD's and this comes in my top 20. It just keeps demanding another play. This is maybe the biggest advancement to instrumental music since Tubular Bells.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse