5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!
Published on 1 Jan 2004 by eccentric_squirrel

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but misses that special something
I heard Spacewalk (second track on album)whilst shopping and decided to buy the album. I'm always on the hunt for new and interesting music. Lemon jelly have interesting music but for my taste they really needed to have had a harder life. It's all so happy and pretty, which is fine some of the time but where there's potential for some egdgyness they fail to please. This...
Published on 8 July 2003 by Mr. M. Plumley

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 1 Jan 2004
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I was first introduced to Lemon Jelly about 6 months ago, when a wacky friend implored me to listen to "Nice Weather For Ducks". The track started with...a nursery rhyme sung by an operatic man. I could have easily stopped the track and told my friend (who I was chatting to on msn at the time) "Uhh...no...". However, before I'd had chance to type up my disparaging comment, the song changed. Suddenly it was not a corny old rhyme- it was a nice chillout melody. How had this happened? I carried on listening and halfway through the track WOAH! it changed to a samba style with such a catchy percussion section I HAD to grin idiotically and dance along. And that was it- I was converted. Lemom Jelly had weaved their spell and I HAD to get the album for Christmas.
It didn't fail to please. Although, Nice Weather for Ducks will always be my favourite, all the other tracks are so skillfully made that you can listen again and again and never get tired of it. There are some people who claim that Lemon Jelly are boring and that nothing happens in their songs. Fair enough if that's their true opinion, but I have found that most people in this frame of mind haven't listened to the album properly, or came to it determined not to like it. Lost Horizons is perfect to chill out to, or for doing homework, or just merrily playing in the background. It always puts a smile on your face (especially the Ducks track- gotta love it) and I defy anyone to listen to it and not feel happier. It truly is the musical equivalent of prozac.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, wonderful..., 9 Aug 2006
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I bought this CD as a recommendation and have been unable to stop playing it ever since. Quite simply it is the best chill, electronic, ambient, whatever you want to call it, album I have ever heard. The highlight is Ramblin' Man, a sublime journey of sound which is both thought-provoking and melodic. An absolute classic in every respect.

4.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you - very quickly, 25 Sep 2007
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I have my son to thank for introducing me to this album - thanks Tim. He told me I would probably like this and he was right.

I understand the review which Ms C Rees wrote. I voted in agreement with her, because I could see how she could reach the view she had. However, having played it a few times over the past days, I can honestly say that it is very, very good. It is better than most chill-out albums and I do like LJ's style, where there is some impish fun, which makes it more warm-in than chill-out!

after these many plays, I can only pick out the first three tracks above the rest - "Elements", "Spacewalk" and, particularly, "Rambling Man", but the others - "Return To Patagonia", "Nice Weather For Ducks", "Experiment No. 6" (hmm, strange and a little chilling, but excellent), "Closer" and finally "The Curse of Ka'zar" are all great sounding tracks.

So, persevere and it will grow on you. It really is a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars At least three cheers for Lemon Jelly, 5 Nov 2002
JPS (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I discovered Lemon Jelly by accident. And, boy, am I glad I did. Lost Horizons is wonderful. It's an album that makes you want to cheer. It's beautifully crafted and it's fantastic fun. (I hope it was meant to be!?)
Consciously or unconsciously, Lost Horizons is jam-packed with little nods to everyone from Miles Davis, Joe Zawinul and Weather Report to Eberhard Weber, Michael Nyman and Roy Wood (not that I'd normally put Michael Nyman and Roy Wood in the same sentence). Each track is very different from its neighbours and yet the whole thing hangs together extremely well.
Do yourself a favour, buy a copy now while you are on-line. In fact buy a couple of copies. The first person you play it to is probably going to want to borrow your copy - and you probably won't get it back.

5.0 out of 5 stars As clearly indicated by almost all reviewers..., 1 Sep 2006
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
... this is pure blissful delight. Absolutely great at parties for making people smile loudly. Can't wait for previous album to arrive having just ordered it on the strength of LH which I only heard a few months ago. Thanks to my friend for introducing these guys to me. SMILE!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a beaufiful, chilled album!, 25 Oct 2002
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
I'm new to Lemon Jelly, and now I wish I'd discovered them earlier. I'm listening to the album now, and it infuses me with this wonderful sense of well being. Listening to it reminds me of the feeling I got from watching Amelie, my favourite film of last year - feel-good without being sentimental. Like Amelie, it's beautifully constructed, humorous and original.
I particularly love the flutes on Rambling Man, but there are gems like that all over the album. The guitar work throughout is delightul for instance.
Wow, I was going to submit a nice balanced review, but it's taken me over. Forget Prozac, buy this album!

4.0 out of 5 stars Slightly bonkers genius, 21 Oct 2002
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
If you like your music chilled out and slighty bizarre then this could be the stuff for you.
Fred Deakin and Nick Franglen have done it again, if you've heard any of their previous EP '.ky' then you'll have a pretty good idea of whats in store. And if you think you haven't heard it, you probably have. Tracks like 'In The Bath' and 'The Staunton Lick' are used on numerous TV programmes and adverts alike (In The Bath is the Motorola Ad music).
Lost Horizons begins with 'Elements' where we are treated to a typically English voiced gentleman listing elements over a looping acoustic guitar riff and a deep bass line. It doesnt take long for the almost trademark trumpet sound to kick in and you couldnt be anywhere but Lemon Jelly land.
'Space Walk' kicks off with an astronauts communications complete with static, over a simple rippling piano. When it gets going its all very happy and cheery with the repeating sample telling us its 'Beautiful', and an acoustic riff reminiscent of 'Here comes the Sun' by the Beatles.
'Ramblin Man' follows with a gentle walking pace beat. Over this we get another English gentleman telling us how he's 'a ramblin man' and listing place names from Brixton to Rangoon (its better than it sounds!).
'Return to Patagonia' sees a departure from the relaxed vibe, instead we get some jazzy drum, bass and saxophone lines. Dont get me wrong its still laid back but in a different kind of way, it's definately a more up beat track but it works really well, even with the male voice choir they slip in towards the end.
What can I say about 'Nice Weather for Ducks'? If this doesn't raise a smile then there must be something wrong with you! This continues the up beat theme of the last track, its all acoustic guitars a quick beat and the trumpets pop up again for good measure. A real feel good track.
As a complete mood change 'Experiment Number Six' is the darkest thing Lemon Jelly have ever produced. Over a spooky Double Bass line and some horror movie worthy trumpets we get a disturbing account of an experiment and the condition of the subject. Watch out for the nasty ending!
With 'Closer' we are eased back in to a cheerful mood with a Lemon Jelly standard. The familiar acoustic guitar and easy drum beat coupled with a few electronic sounds helps us remember we're still in Lemon Jelly land.
'The Curse of Ka'Zar' rounds of the album with some more jazzy drums and some ethereal male and female vocals. This track touches on quite a big orchestral sound at places but finishes abruptly with the vocal sounds.
In summary then if you are already a fan then you'll love this, if you are a fan of the chillout genre then you could do much worse than a trip to Lemon Jelly land.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gently, hypnotically, beautifully bonkers..., 30 Dec 2003
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
Eccentricity is one of the few things that England excels at and this album captures English eccentricity in all its wistful, slightly mad beauty. From the artwork on its stunning packaging - designed by Fred Deakin, one of the two musicians behind Lemon Jelly - which perfectly encapsulates the marriage of city beats & pastoral folk that's inside, everything about "Lost Horizons" is carefully designed to gently ease you into an English summer's "Mad Hatters tea party" of strange, controlled and in the end joyously reflective music.
Chill out? possibly... electro-jazz? partly... but categorising "Lost Horizons" is pointless. Like Mike Oldfield's equally odd and quintessentially English "Tubular Bells" thirty years before or United Future Organisation's mid 90's outings (two of its closest reference points) it bends established musical formats into something totally different through hypnotically repeated loops, the use of a huge range of instruments, weird, almost comical voice-overs and, most importantly, inherently uplifting chord sequences that make you feel "happy". First time through may leave you totally bemused, but beware... this is highly addictive stuff and before you know where you are you'll be playing it over & over again as Lemon Jelly draw you inexorably back into their beautifully bizarre world..
And if you like it, as you will, check out Amazon.co.uk for albums by Elephant Talk - an obscure and similarly eclectic English group whose fusions of folk, jazz & city-beats are equally addictive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy This Album!!, 23 Mar 2009
Briefly, I first heard tracks off "Lost Horizons" on the superb Chill DAB
radio station.
I bought the CD last year and I cannot stop playing it!
There are so many ear catching twists and turns on this wonderful oddball collection.
Stand out tracks for me are "Rambling Man" and "Nice Weather For Ducks".
"Don't Delay, Buy Today!"

5.0 out of 5 stars Lemon happy, 23 July 2009
This review is from: Lost Horizons (Audio CD)
If you like down-tempo chill music this album is must buy. Even if you don't, you can not fail to be both inspired and Happy with the melodies created by this talented pair. From start to finish you with be left with a feeling of having purchased something for your mind as well as your music collection

Lost Horizons