5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable
I'd been told not to buy this album by a friend, who said ultimately I'd find myself disappointed.

I don't normally write any product reviews on Amazon but I simply had to for this album, even if I can only convince one undecided shopper to buy this album I can hopefully rest in peace knowing that I've changed somebodys persons world.

The first time...
Published on 23 Nov 2006 by J. Ford

3.0 out of 5 stars Yorke deliver what you'd expect.
What else can you expect from Thom Yorkes solo album than minimalistic electronic beats, dark athmosphere, pop melodies and some experimentality. I'm glad he has give up his worst manners in singing and leaves his vibrato out. Insted his singing sounds here better than in a long time.

The first two songs are the strongest here, the rest of the record is quite...
Published on 6 July 2006 by Willy Dixie

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 23 Nov 2006
J. Ford "skunkfish83" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)

The first time I popped the disc in my cd player I gave the album a quick listen through thinking to myself "Hey, this is actually pretty good"

Several months on this album is so much more than that. I have all the Radiohead albums in my CD collection, my favourites being The Bends, Hail to the thief and OK Computer. However, this album really does eclipse them all.

So full of touching, beautiful moments you simply shouldn't miss out on this unbelievable work of art. I stick it on before I go to bed each night and in my dreams get transported to another world, somewhere far away from this universe into the realms of impossibility and beyond.

Try it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Thom Yorke - The Eraser, 27 May 2007
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
Prevailing opinion seems to be that electronic music is the future. Mind you that thought has been the same since the 70s. Nevertheless, the mixed reaction to Radiohead's Kid A suggested that we were not quite ready for a popular band to be quite so brave. It felt like listening to the future. Champions of the electro genre such as Richard D James have been around for ages, but have been restricted to that genre. Kid A triggered even 'acoustic' acts such as Travis to open up the laptops - the new millenium had arrived.

2006, and Thom Yorke releases this - comparable to Kid A in many ways but a unique work nonetheless. Its driven, not by beats but by Yorke's human voice and his usual kniving lyrics - if you have seen any of his acoustic performances of the songs from the album you will agree.

I urge you then not to buy this album because of the Radiohead connection, or because its something different, or because it made it onto the Mercury shortlist - buy it as a soulful collection of songs that makes Aphex Twin seem like a thing of the past.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still listening to this, 10 Feb 2007
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
The most interesting aspect of this album is whether, for Radiohead, a solo electronic Thom Yorke album will represent an exorcism, and a break with the recent past of similarly informed Radiohead albums. Simplistic perhaps, as the band are unlikely to regress back to simple guitar based rock, as is the wont of many. Regardless, the bands next step has never been more intriguing.

Interetsing though such questions are, we should not do disservice to The Eraser, which has endured as a fine album, worthy of commendation. To those who yearn for Bends era radiohead, look away, if indeed you're reading this at all, and for others, this is at many times Thom Yorkes most successful set of electronic songs.

The songs are more intimate than recent radiohead work, with Yorkes voice up front in the mix, and the songs are more tuneful and melodic than recent work. Opener The Eraser is jerky, yet anthemic, with a euphoric outro, with subsequent tracks like Analyse and Black Swan grooving inistently. While the middle section is less persuasive, the closing Harrowdown Hill and Cymbal Rush are extraordinary, sparse, building and beautiful in a unique way.

It is this ability to fashion warmth ftom cold musical landscapes that marks out The Eraser as a strong piece of work, and Yorke as one of the pre-eminent musicians at work in the UK today.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes a few listens... but very catchy!, 11 Aug 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
Don't get any big ideas! (No pun intended) This album is not for everyone. If I was to compare it to any of the Radiohead albums, I would say soundwise, it's similar to Kid A and some of the more electrical tracks from Hail to the thief.

Thom and long time producer-pal Nigel Godrich (the 6th radiohead member surely??), have carefully put together a flawless record that says exactly what thom's been upto since the HTTT sessions.

The material is totally different to any of the new radiohead songs (As played on their recent European and US tour).

You get 9 or so songs, which one could say remind you of the HTTT track, The Gloaming.

It's all very catchy - you'll be blurting it's lyrics after a few listens and a few listens is what you'll need when getting into this record.

I'm quite pleased for Thom and Nige. They've done really well for themselves.

And no... it's not a 'solo' record!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap Cardboard Covers?, 18 July 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
First off, this is pure Thom genius. Haunting, melodic. If I have a criticism it's that it's not particularly surprising. If you'd have thought about what a Thom Yorke solo album would have sounded like before you heard it you might well have imagined this record. Which may well be a good thing, hey?

Some dunce gave this album one star and complained that it even came in a 'cheep (sic) cardboard cover'. Having had the luck to have a little inside insight on this project I think you should know that the cardboard was very deliberately chosen for its lack of environmental impact. I also think it's rather more beautiful than the same old plastic crap.

The gorgeous cover's designed by Radiohead collaborator Stanley Donwood BTW, I heartily recommend his book, 'Slowly Downward', also available on this site.

4.0 out of 5 stars black swan!, 22 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
this album is worth buying for the track Black Swan alone. I fell in love with this song the first time I heard it and it gets better with every listen. sinister yet elegant, dark and glossy, this song combines a rhythmic bass line with sinuous, eerie guitar notes that blend with thoms voice beautifully. think of a charcoal grey horizon and quiet rain, it's an evocative & subtly emotional song.

the rest of the cd follows in the same vein (i haven't listened to it enough yet to appreciate every song fully). the tracks standing out to me so far are the clock, harrowdown hill & eraser.

i think its an album to listen to by yourself. on a winters night. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars "The more you try to erase me, the more that I appear", 5 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
Thom Yorke's Eraser is best viewed as a tangential companion piece to Kid A, in my mind Radiohead's best album. It was that record's Morning Bell that best married Thom Yorke's bare, unprocessed vocals with electronic soundscaping and instrumentation. Those dissatisified with some of Radiohead's tampering with Thom's vocals will enjoy some of the naked intimacy of his voice here, especially engrossing over the headphones. Beginning with the deceptive, faux-naive Chicago house chords of the brilliant title track, you would be forgiven for thinking that this was going to be a miminal affair. But Analyse and The Clock put guitars into the mix for tracks that wouldn't be out of place on Amnesiac, the latter having a passing resemblance to that album's Knives Out. Whereas these tracks err towards drifting ponderousness, Black Swan has a discreet pop sensibility married to I Might be Wrong-style looped guitar loops and layered harmonies.

The best part of the album, however, is its final third, beginning with Atoms for Peace, in which sweet vocals compliment meditative electronics in the mold of early Aphex Twin. The subtle textural shifts and intricate but unfussy production gives an idea of what Massive Attack tried but largely failed to achieve on 100th Window. Better still, Harrowdown Hill tells the story of weapons inspector David Kelly's suicide as an Orwellian tragedy. Despite being one of Yorke's most overtly political songs, it is also one of his most heartbreakingly universal: "We think the same things at the same time / We just can't do anything about it. / We think the same things at the same time / There are so many of us. So you can't count". Cymbal Rush sustains this sombre and elegaic mood to round off a record as accomplished, if not more consistent, than Radiohead's last two. The album's modesty and intimacy is its genius, removed of some of the bombast and histrionics that Radiohead seem to veer towards under the burden of expectation. Viewed independently, this is one of the year's finest electronica albums and one of the most successful cross-over alt-rock / electronica records ever made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thom never lets me down., 13 July 2006
Mrs. Thom Yorke (In a Glass House) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
I have been a Radiohead fan for 10 years and there has never been a disappointment in any of Thom Yorke's creations. This solo album is amazing. If you are used to the aimless beats most of his songs produce and crave anything he creates, you'll love it. You have to have an ear for this kind of music, an acquired listening. Personally, The Eraser is a great opening and though some of the middle songs fall flat, I still appreciate the unique sounds, the drearyness, and of course Thom's voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takes a few listens, then it really grows on you., 6 April 2007
M. Sinclair "Mike" (Crumlin, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
As a huge radiohead fan I was most interested to hear of a Thom Yorke release and soon purchased this album. As most fans listen to this, they probably expect music almost identical to radiohead. This is in some ways quite different from radiohead, take for example the songs "Atoms for peace" and "The eraser", they deliver a different rhythm, melody and are even perhaps shaded lightly with optimism.

I must admit on the first listen to this, I wasn't exactly thrilled. When I first listened, I thought I might end up not liking it, but I then thought- its Thom Yorke, he knows what he's doing!! And, giving it a few more listens all the songs really did click with me. Especailly the last three songs, when I listen to them it can really take me away. I had already bought "harrowdown hill" which immediately lured me into getting this album. This album of course does continue the trademark atmospheric and dark sound, that you'd find with radiohead.

With this album though, I think you either end up loving it or hating it. And I love it, coming in after Ok computer it would would be right up there now in my list of favourite albums. There is no denying that Thom Yorke is a genius, and this album is a perfect example of this.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Eraser, 4 Dec 2006
R. Fraser "rhys_6911" (Devon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Eraser (Audio CD)
There is one anoying niggle with this album. Every time you listen to a track you can't help thinking what would happen if the full band were to be unleashed upon these tracks. Although, this is really interesting to listen to because you get Thom Yorke straight up making music how he wants to without the compromise of working with other people, which at times is real genius.

Anyway, about the album. I remeber buying this on the day it was released, eagearly anticipating a masterpiece, and after having lisened to it three or four times, feeling a bit let down by the lack of standout tracks (minus the eraser, analyse and black swan.) I found if you persevere with this it becomes really cohesive as a listening experience and a great album to play late at night or just lazing around with friends. Tracks like atoms for peace, cymbal rush and skip divided seem quite bare and shallow at first, but I found that they really grew on me, and are probably the most rewarding.

All in all, worth a purchase for any open minded music fan, you don't necessarly have to be a fan of The Head to be into this.

The Eraser