on 4 August 2009
Hi,
After reading the book some three years ago back in 2006, and being completely blown away, I decided to have a Lives Between Lives (LBL) session myself to see where things would take me. After doing some Internet research I contacted an LBL practioner and had the session. For those who know little about the process I will summarise it here and combine it with my experience of the session.

Basically, to be able to experience this process requires going into a very deep form of trance (mind awake, body asleep). This usually requires about an hour or so of performing a series of deep relaxation exercises. Note that the whole LBL session takes about 3 hours. It is important to highlight that the client retains full awareness and is in complete control however, you operate on a different state of consciencenous.

Once in the correct state, the client is then regressed back, through the earlier years of life, to a child and then back to the previous live. I must admit that being a scientifically orientated person, I was dubious of the memories I was receiving thinking it was all my imagination. In fact at this point, if I'm honest, I was feeling a bit disappointed along the lines of - is this it?

Once the practioner asked me to go to the point of my death and to go "back home" things changed dramatically. I immediately dimensionally shifted from facing straight on to travelling at extreme velocity to my left (why the left and not the right?). OH MY GOD, at this point I realised this was the real deal - my imagination was not (is not) capable of making this up.

After a few seconds - bang! I was back home. What I saw was not what I expected, it was so abstract in terms of shape, colour and so forth. But oh, how it felt was beyond description. The is no human form of expression or feeling that comes anywhere near close. The closest I can come is to describe it as liquid love. I was connected to absolutely everything everywhere as a form of energy - there were and are no limits.

It is important to highlight that the experience is different for all of us. We each see, feel, hear what we are ready and able to work with. Anyway I carried on with the session and experienced the start of an amazing journey which I'm still experiencing to this day.

For those who may be reading this and other reviews wondering whether the work of Michael Newton is genuine or not. Absolutely yes it is. He has performed an amazing service. He has taken something so vast, so infinite and put it into a structure that we can understand. Personally, I have found the reality of the "magic behind the curtains" to be more fluid. This is not a criticism of Michael's work however. For those interested in getting additional perspectives, I would strongly recommend the books by Ian Lawton and Andy Tomlinson whose work has followed on from Michael Newton.

To summarise, the biggest things I have learned in my life are:

- Everything is a form of energy with varying degrees of density, structure and composition, even what we consider as matter.

- I now understand that everything that was, everything that is, everything that will be - everywhere is within each of us. Indeed in the world of physics, there are many who are starting to believe that reality is hologramtic in nature - a principle i agree with. I kid you not when I say that there are no limits.

- God is not a separate entity from us sitting in a higher dimensional realm that we aspire to reach. We are ALL God - you, me, cats, dogs, trees, suns, planets, galaxies.....

- At the highest state of our multi-dimensional being that I have personally experienced, (I suspect there is far more), there is a oneness in a brilliant form of all knowing, all seeing light. If this is so then the question is, why do we come here in a highly reduced state of awareness not remembering who we truly are? Going through the pain of seeing loved ones die, suffering the losses and hardships that many of us must face during our lives?

My Conclusion: When in a state of being when everything that has been discovered is known to all, how do you discover more?
We and an infinite number of beings break part of ourselves away from the source to travel to different planes of existence, physical and non physical so that we can learn, grow, discover and ultimately bring back all that is yet to be found.

I strongly believe that in each of you, there are talents which no one else quite has, things that you can do which no one else (anywhere) can quite do. That is how amazing you are.

I wish you all the best on your journey.
4141 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 February 2006
I read Michaels book and his subsequent book, Destiny of Souls, and then, because I am a hypnotherapist, went on to train with him to facilitate this life between lives process. What I now know is that, in fact, Michael regressed over 7000 clients in his research and of course put forward the cases that illustrated points he wanted to make in the books. I have been deeply impressed by his thirst for corroboration and his tireless cross referencing of his clients accounts. In as far as it is possible to carry out a scientific study of the afterlife (or between life state) then this is it.It does not make comfortable reading at times and does not fit in with many well known authors "cosy" view of the spirit world. If you are ready to read first hand accounts of our "soul memories" then this book is for you.
on 27 November 2006
My Dad had terminal cancer during my time with this book, I got it on a recommendation after I told someone I was a bit spiritual and it was doing me in that my Dad might die.

What helped me so much was reading about how souls that you know come to help you from your physical body into the next life when you die, or go to the "between life" stage. Bear in mind I read the whole thing as I look at everything in life, part scientist - part spiritual - part skeptic. One day the Macmillan nurse took me into the garden to ask me how I would be when my Dad stops breathing and I told her that firstly I would never stop believing in a miracle to save him and secondly that I knew first aid and that I would find it hard to not breathe for him if he died. She said to me "I understand that you would want to do that, I can tell you love him, but everytime we come to see him we gently wake him to ask if he is ok and he says to us - Lady, can't you lot leave me alone...I have people that keep coming to meet me to take me away and you lot keep bringing me back." I let go of him that day, with a better knowledge and hope that he would not just "stop" and that his soul would go on. So in a way the miracle did come. The book was a friend and a teacher, I can't recommend it enough.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 7 July 2006
Quote from book - "...My work here is intended for good. By questioning your discipline, I wish to add my knowledge of healing and bring people closer to the higher creative power available within themselves. My larger mission is to combat the fear of death by offering people understanding about the nature of their souls and spiritual home..."

Michael Newton writes this book, `Journey Of Souls' with rather pleasing and interesting plot, that plot being what happens to souls after their human host has died, and before they are born again.

If you believe in the spirit world, this book is for you in that it will fill in many gaps you might have regarding this subject. If you are new to the subject, then this book is also for you, because after reading you will never look back, wanting to explore more.

Michael Newton has picked only 29 case studies on which to base this book, its format for the most part is in small interviews, but in-between the questions by Michael and the answers by the hypnotised subjects, Michael offers an excellent commentary which goes to great length to aid the reader to better understand the concepts being put forward. These concepts are nothing short of pure excellence in that while reading they educate the reader in more abstract thoughts, and once you start reading you will find it hard to put this book down.

Sceptics to the book's content will find 101 reasons why this book is the workings of imagination, my only argument to this is, if Michael Newton has written this book from imagination, then as well as gifted, he is a thoroughbred genius! Most individuals cannot fault his methodical approach.

Journey of The Souls is one of the best books I have ever read, and I read it in a couple of days it was so good. It comes highly recommended and Journey Of Souls should be on everyone's bookshelf.
on 28 November 2002
I used other Amazon reviews to select this book to research past-life regression and to help 'prove' my own personal beliefs about the transition of souls after death.
This book is superb - and I read it in just 2 days.
It explains what happens to your soul in the important time between death and reincarnation - and does so in great detail supported by scripts from actual regression sessions. The authors own notes are used to enhance and explain throughout.
I thought the soul just moved onto another life. How wrong I was.
If you are wondering about or researching reincarnation, this is an absolute must, and will open your eyes, comfort you, and almost certainly change the way you progress in this life.
I cannot recommend this book strongly enough - and no - I am not on commission from the author or anyone else !!
on 5 October 1998
I have read and Passed on this book to MANY , who are also on a Search. Like several of the other reviewers, I have had a NDE. The books that I need seem to find me. This one was a spectacular find ! It's almost as if I had "remembered" some of the information within the covers of this book. I found my life unfolding according to the Laws that Dr. Newton presented. The format of interviewing people , and then folowing them as they take their Journey, after physical death, made it almost impossible to put down. I also find myself using some of the techniques in my own meditation, with spectacular success. I am looking forward to seeing another book from this Author, as soon as possible !
on 28 July 2014
I do believe in an afterlife but my intuition (or Higher Self) tells me these accounts are a load of fantasy. Mr. Newton's collection of accounts portray an afterlife where the soul is subject to innumerable conditions and controls, where you are doomed to exist in restricted soul groups (ugh!!) - all very creepy - and where you are not always allowed to continue being with some of those you dearly loved whilst on earth. It all sounds very dreary and soulless. I'm back to reading the Bhagavad Gita - now that's a real spiritual gem.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 February 1999
I felt "flashbacks," if you will, as I read this book, especially the discussion about soul groups and the schooling-type activities that go on in the spirit world. It's good that this account includes multiple case studies of those who have been regressed beyond their past lives into this other realm -- and that their answers were strikingly similar. The concept of soul development levels helps to explain a great deal about human behavior throughout the ages. The spirit world's strong sense of kinship, love, and understanding stuck with me long after reading Journey of Souls. How wonderful if these concepts could be shared universally; perhaps human beings might cease to cause each other so much physical harm? Alas, part of the order of the Universe seems to point out that this will never be possible on Earth. That gives those of us who want to contribute positively to the world something to strive for. It also offers a sense of hope, that life, "Here" and "There," is an ongoing series of lessons, and that there is always a higher level of being to reach.
on 4 September 2011
Being interested in all things afterlife-y I was looking forward to reading this book. However, I was quite disappointed with it by the end. Unlike the other negative reviews, which seem to question the authenticity of the material, I was mainly let down by the fact the the book is completely permeated by the separation paradigm, the idea that we are all separate from God and separate from each other. There is just one reference otherwise when someone says "We are all part of the same oneness". I thought "Yes! Now it's going to get interesting!" Did he follow it up? Nope. Also, if you're hoping of getting a description of heaven (okay, I admit I was) from this book you will be sorely disappointed. I really don't know why people have got excited about this book, when it comes down to it the material isn't as interesting as, say, Raymond Moody's books about the afterlife. There is even a page dedicated to soul colours - who cares?

So anyway, not a positive review, but I haven't rated it 1-star as I'm not in the "It's all bunkum" camp.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 4 May 2008
I am 52 and, over the years, have pieced together an alternative view of our purpose than simply to live and then to die. There have been far too many stories of near death experiences etc., which are as intriguing as the attitude of some scientists and their single minded task to patronisingly dismiss it as some form of lack of oxygen to the brain leading to darkness around the edges of vision. I feel sad for those people but then, one day, they will find out the truth.

My dad never believed in life after death and yet, he made a significant effort to speak to me months after he died. I went to a spiritual event simply to take a friend and out of interest, the medium had been on TV and she came to me as the second person she spoke to. My dad had three issues he wanted to talk about and he came through loud and clear.

This book goes far beyond this. If you've ever wondered 'if' or 'what' or even 'where', look no further. Read this as a sceptic and you will gain nothing from it, read it as someone interested in fitting together the pieces of life and you will be rewarded. Then, buy his next book: Destiny of Souls. This book is wonderful and takes you through the story of our existance and purpose. Don't let the smug, scary, patronising brigade put you off believing. Religion has been telling us for years that the soul exists and continues when the body dies, this is about where it came from, where it goes to and what happens between lives.