4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD WATCH
I am not as yet of advancing years or with profound sight problems. I do, however, have difficulty discerning the very small 'date' windows in almost all wrist watches, dislike the bulkiness of digital varieties, and need to have a timepiece that easily adjusts to all world radio transmitters.

With the 'Talking Atomic Watch' I no longer have to squint at the...
Published on 8 Feb. 2011 by DOPPLEGANGER

3.0 out of 5 stars Too complicated for visually impaired.
the RNIB lifemax talking atomic watch is supposed to set itself if put on a window sill at night have done that for the last 7 days it still did not set itself. my wife who has good eyesight and patience manually set it for me .Very complicated for the visually impaired person the watch is made for.do not recommend.Too complicated.
Published 23 months ago by jgrinter

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD WATCH, 8 Feb. 2011
DOPPLEGANGER (TEDDY B) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Lifemax/RNIB Men's Talking Atomic Watch 407 with Strap (Watch)

With the 'Talking Atomic Watch' I no longer have to squint at the dial face to make out the date, the 'voice' is clear and loud, it is not at all bulky, in fact very light on the wrist and has a simple, elegant appearance and, even I with 'instruction dyslexia' can adjust between the world time zone radio transmitters.

Unlike the person mentioned in one of the reviews here, the strap was a faction too small for my wrist and I had to go out and buy a larger one. I like this watch so much that when I went into the sea briefly with it on and it stopped functioning, I purchased another.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feature rich, not bad looking either!, 27 Dec. 2009
Bought for my visually impaired mum-in-law to replace her previous Science Museum black plastic version - unfortunately the strap broke and could not be repaired as its all in one moulded to the watch.

The features we particularly wanted ie spoken date, time and radio controlled to avoid the need for twice yearly adjustment are all in this watch. The leather strap is comfortable to wear and the watch itself not bad to look at, albeit a bit thick in depth as one would expect with so many features. The male "voice" has a rather funny twang to it but is not unpleasant and most importantly is clear and easy to understand. All in all, so far, she's impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars good buy, 23 Feb. 2010
S. C. Harris (uk) - See all my reviews
i bought this watch for my husband who is registered blind.
he is very pleased with it, wishes we had thought to look for something like this years ago ,
gives him a bit more independence.
the time and date are spoken really clearly, and if you did have some sight the face is very clean and clear to look at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it should, 31 Dec. 2010
Bought for my partially sighted father. He already had a watch with large numbers but was starting to struggle, so this seemed like the next step. The watch performs very well. An english accented male voice gives the time clearly in am or pm, and pressing another button gives theday and date. The voice is easy to hear, important for the elderly. Although thicker than the average watch, it is not unsightly or unwieldy. Would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars a boon for the elderly and partially sighted, 10 Mar. 2009
S. L. A. De-brabander (Wirral, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this watch for my 95 year old aunt and although the strap is too large for her wrist( so had to be shortened) it represents good value for money, keeps excellent time, and is easy to read.
The first watch we received didn't work but was replaced within a couple of days with a fully working one - so no complaints there.
For the elderly and partially sighted I would recommend it.......

5.0 out of 5 stars a great watch for the blind or partially sighted, 10 Feb. 2011
vera - See all my reviews
i bought this watch for my mother who is blind as a birthday present as i find her a real nightmare to buy for and am i glad i did, it has a lovely large but not too large face with a clear white back ground with the hands and numbers in black the clarity impresses me im thinking of saving up for one for myself as im slowly going blinf myself

the watch is easy peasy to set the time and is talking so also at the press of a button which for my mum who has no sight at all is invaluable because it tells her the time when ever she wants to know without driving me bats constantly asking the time every five minutes

im very impressed with this watch because all though dearer than the black plastic one i bought her a few months ago its a lot clearer and looks nice on her wrist, the cheaper one stated the time every hour which you couldnt turn off and drove her mad as it also stated the time every hour during the night and kept her and father awake

all in all it just goes to show that sometimes you get what you pay for and this watch is worth the extra few pounds, its functional but also has a nice look and she is thrilled with it, and its so simple to alter the time which for someone with no sight is so important the cheaper one i got her had to be done by someone else i guess its worth the extra independance it gives her and its so nice to buy her a gift she genuinly loves and uses every single day

4.0 out of 5 stars Speaking Watch: Priceless!, 10 Aug. 2010
My partially sighted mum loves the speaking watch so much, she likes to have a spare one at hand! She particularly loves the fact that it changes to and from Summertime automatically. She even stayed up late once to see if the hour changed at 2am!. However, the fact she needs a spare shows that they do have a shelf life. When the battery runs out, she can't find a jeweller (in Dublin) to replace it. Consequently, we keep her supplied with new watches every couple of years. They make perfect birthday and Christmas presents so we don't mind. Refering to the model itself, it is very functional looking. It's a shame there isn't a more attractive version for ladies - although in my mum's case it would have to be plastic or gold since she is allergic to any metal other than gold - at least, that's what she tells us!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice watch, big strap!, 15 July 2011
Bought this watch for my mum whom, has sight problems. She says the dial is nice and clear for her to read but first thing in the morning, when her eyes are at their worse, it is nice to be able to hear the time. She is pleased but, one problem, because she is only a small woman with thin wrists, she won't be able to wear it on her wrist as the strap and watch is quite big and bulky for her. I will have to either replace the strap with a smaller ladies strap or, as it is at the moment, she has attached it to her handbag so it is with her when she goes out.
Apart from that all is well!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lifemax RNIB Mens Talking Watch, 28 Mar. 2012
I bought this watch for my father who has very poor eyesight. The watch is great as it has a clear face and also 2 big buttons to press. One tells the time and the other button gives the day, date and year in clear talking voice. The watch also is very accurate time keeping. It changed to british summer time on its own. There are 2 other buttons for other settings but I havnt used them yet. MY father is delighted with the watch as he could never read an ordinary watch with his poor eyesight.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Lifemax Talking Watch is very good value for money, 27 Dec. 2012
I particularly wanted a radio-controlled watch and this one exceeded expectations. You can easily set it to pick up time information not only in the UK but in Germany, Japan and the USA. Why isn't this feature advertised? If I had known about that in advance I would have chosen this watch much more quickly!! Being able to pick up German time information makes this watch useful over much of mainland Europe. As a regular visitor to the USA this feature will be most helpful.

The large hour-numbers and exceptionally clear dial make it very easy to read the time. The spoken information is fairly clear too.

The main disappointment is that the 60 tick marks round the rim of the dial are NOT equally spaced. At each tick, the second-hand MAY land on a tick-mark but usually it doesn't. This suggests that the dial was poorly stamped out. I can probably improve the hit-rate by using the recalibration feature but I haven't tried that yet.

A secondary disappointment is that the watch is rather fat but I quickly got used to this.

A potential problem will be changing the strap. There are no obvious spring-loaded pins and it almost looks as though it will be necessary to buy a new watch when the strap wears out. Grrrh!

The user interface is far from intuitive but the instructions are fairly good. It seems easy to force a signal check and to change the country option. I haven't tried numerous other features such as the chime, the alarm and manual setting yet.

I would definitely choose this watch if I had my time over again.