on 3 August 2009
I have now purchased 2 sets of these units. They took a while to get get up and running but they work. I have one to use for my light meter attached with a sync lead so it fires my Elinchrom Ranger kit and the other unit and receivers are used for my Nikon speedlights. Initially the speedlights attached to the top of the hotshoe on the receivers. But.... they are not a secure fit and a few times despite "locking" the speedlight to the receiver shoe attachment they still slip out and when you are moving stands around quickly it doesn't inspire confidence in the security of these potentially falling off. So I have ordered 4 sets of short sync leads to couple the receivers to the speedlights meaning the lights can be attached securely to the stands and their various attachments and the receivers can be lightly Velcro-d to the side of the lights. It is a shame they dont put a male to male pc sync lead in with the receivers to give you the option of connecting differently than the hotshoe they assume everybody wants to use. The only lead you get in the kit is for the transmitter unit which has a jack to pc sync on the other end.
The performance is fairly consistent, although I have noticed the first frame fired from starting the shoot may not fire but the 2nd onwards is regular. While the expensive Pocket Wizards are obviously going to be 100% guaranteed I'm prepared to risk losing that first frame - (I'm likely to shoot several variations anyway) because at this price you get what you pay for and these units are generally pretty good and despite the attaching issues there are at least cost effective work-a-rounds for the keen budget minded strobist.
on 24 July 2009
These work for me about 98% of the time, and considering how much cheaper they are compared to pocket wizards it's a no-brainer unless you absolutely NEED 100% reliability.