4.0 out of 5 stars Visually stunning, and a storyline more substantial than its given credit for
I bought the DVD recently after becoming intrigued by comments (good and bad) about the film on some film review sites. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon the reviews, as the film was released in 2006, but I think it must have been because Tarsem Singh also directed the just-released Mirror, Mirror.

It seems some reviewers regarded The Fall as visually stunning...
Published on 5 April 2012 by Computer user

3.0 out of 5 stars Vivid Colour, Deep movie
This is not an ordinary movie, it is rather deep but has a good story. The colours in the movie make a vibrant statement and if you want something a little different on a wet grey afternoon, then this is the movie for you. I recommend this extraordinary movie
Published 18 months ago by Not A Computer

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely stunning, 4 Oct. 2008
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
Like the other reviewers I can't believe this film didn't get the attention it deserved when it was originally created. I think the success of Guillermo Del Toro has lead to its well overdue release.

It is a stunningly, jaw droppingly beautiful film, which I have to say occasionally works against it, as you find your attention distracted by the breathtaking scenery, when you're trying to concentrate on the admittedly rather paper thin storyline.

The only criticism I really have is that the storyline is flimsy, Tarsem seems to have expended so much time and energy travelling around the world to find exquisite locations that he has neglected to create a story that matches it. However, to be honest you don't really notice that much when you're watching it, and although it lacks an involving storyline, you can't say the same for the characters, Roy & Alexandria truly draw you in.

Roy is a stuntman crippled by a stunt gone wrong. He weaves a fantasy for Alexandria, a young girl with a broken arm, involving people who work at the hospital, his girlfriend and the cast of the film he was working on. Alexandria is entranced by the story and begs him to keep telling her more. Roy is embittered by life experiences and so doesn't shy away from dealing with death and suffering within the fantasy he creates.

Catinca Untaru is a refreshing antidote to the usual child actors, she's so natural it's hard to believe her performance was scripted! Lee Pace is so much better than I thought he'd be, I've seen him in Pushing Daisies and didn't think he'd work as well as he does, you can really feel the pain and frustration of Roy as the film progresses.

Obviously I don't want to spoil what happens in the end, but I will say that towards the end of the film, you'd have to be a hard person not to at least feel moved by the sadness of both Alexandria and Roy. It made me realise how much I'd invested in the characters, and I'm not ashamed to say I cried.

This is a truly beautiful movie, Tarsem set out to create an epic fantasy, and in my eyes he has succeeded. I am so glad I saw this film, I know it won't be the last time I see it either, I would happily see this film again and again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Its a shame there is only 5 stars, would have given more....., 3 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
The Fall, directed by Tarsem Singh, is set in a hospital on the outskirts of 1920's Los Angeles. An injured stuntman is telling a fellow patient, Alexandria, about the adventures of five mythical heroes.
It starts off as an innocent fantasy story which spikes the curiosity of this little girl (Alexandria). Using the curiosity and innocence of this young girl, the stuntman begins to offer the story in segments and as a reward for her gathering, unknowingly, morphine from the hospital's pharmacy.
The story climaxes in a hail storm of action, daring rescues and maybe even death both in and out of the fantasy world created by our two main characters.
This is one of my favourite films of all time! The landscapes these heroes travel and adventure across are absolutely breathtaking shot on twenty six of the most stunning locations spanning over eighteen countries. Each character in this fantasy world have their own unique and distinctive personalities and quirks which makes each of them completely individual and intriguing.
The story in both the real world and fantasy are simple and easy to follow without being boring and predictable. By the end of this wonderfully heart warming film you will be on the edge of your seats wondering what is going to happen to these characters as the real and fantasy world begin to blur and merge.
I recommend this film to anyone who likes something different and has the ability to allow their imagination to run away with the film.

5.0 out of 5 stars WELCOME TO THE MOST BEAUTIFUL MOVIE OF THE WORLD!, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
Yesterday, I had the opportunity of seeing is authentic work of art.
That wonderful movie!
I felt excitement,long was that a film not excited me so much.
To such an extent that it is among my favourites.
I have to say that I have much film seen in my short life, but I had never seen a film like this and I will probably not see never nothing similar, because it is film is unique.
A visually exquisite tale, a pleasure for the senses.
4 years old and 28 countries are toured to roll this fad, lovers of good cinema you will be eternally grateful for this gift.
A treasure for those who believe that cinema should be art, and not a mere entertainment.
The protagonist duo is also flawless, Super secondary.
Lee Pace is wonderful, i do not understand how a good actor has not starred in more films.
Even if the movie is a fantastic story, it is not for nothing a film for children.
It's a drama.
There we have the issue of the suicide and addiction to pills.
Great also the artistic direction, costumes, photography, make-up.....everything!!!
The splendid soundtrack deserves special mention. Opening credits are incredible.
Finally, a film to dream, to enjoy and also to thrill. A tribute to silent film.
I recommend it to all those who still find something of beauty in this world.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my all time favourite films, 16 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
The Fall is a beautiful film. A true labour of love every image is a real place shot on location not one green screen was used. It is a masterpiece of breathtaking cinematogrphy. I loved this film and cannot enthuse about it enough.

Set in a hospital in 1920s Los Angeles it is a story told at the mercy of an injured stuntman and the curious five year old girl he is telling it to. Seen through the imagination of the young girl the story of the five bandits on their quest to kill the evil Governor Odious is told in vivid colour and influenced by the increasing despair surrounding the heartbroken stuntman, Roy and the captivated five year old Alexandria's growning admiration and loyalty to him, both beautifully performed by Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru.

I accept that some people found this film slow paced and I would agree but this was never a problem for me and I never found myself at any point bored, not the first time I watched it or any other viewings since then. If you're looking for a fast paced all out action adventure this is not the film but if you're fed up spending your money on 1 hour and 30 minutes of weak plot lines, mediocre acting and cinematic drivel and you're feeling nostalgic for good old-fashioned storytelling then give this film a chance, hopefully you will find it as inspiring and wonderful as I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars fallen in love, 2 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
The Fall is an incredible movie. From the costumes to the acting it is hard not to be blown away. The fantastical settings seem that they can only have been created by CGI, however this is not the case as each location is a real place. The costume fits perfectly with the locations, bringing out the fantastical in each of the characters, separating them from their real life counterparts.
Lee Paces performance is definitely one of the highlights of the film. His interactions with young Alexandria are so tender, sometimes painfully so, that it is hard not to identify with both of them and their griefs and joys.

5.0 out of 5 stars each frame is a painting, 5 April 2010
This review is from: The Fall [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
this is a great story from a kids perspective.
it looks beautiful if you want to show off your big hd screen this is the movie.

thats not to take away from the story which is as warm as the colours on the screen. a poignant story about a little girl who mets a young man in hospital who is a bit down due to a bad accident and a broken heart.
he then tells a "on the fly" fable to this little girl
and so the "epic" imaginary journey begins.....
to help each other out of a bad fall

its sad, its beautiful, its life affirming, its gorgeous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps more visual art than film, 3 May 2010
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
I don't often watch films more than once, in fact this is the only film I have bought rather than rented. Don't expect much of a plot, as the story here only serves as an excuse to canter around the most beautiful and remarkable parts of the world. The tale begins in a hospital in California, in the early 20th century. An injured stuntman meets an injured little girl, and starts to tell her a story, to engage her interest and help. We then see the girl's vivid impression of the story she hears; a visual feast of fantastic landscape, architecture and costume. The director has a great eye for colour and effect. One of the early scenes is set in a desert landscape, with burning orange mountains, gleaming white sand, and a cobalt blue sky. Wow! Then the characters' quest takes them through an ancient Indian observatory, dramatic emerald-green crop terraces in the far East, and a lot more besides. The well-travelled viewer can enjoy spotting some popular world beauty spots. And there are some nice visual jokes: he refers to an Indian, meaning Native American; the girl imagines a Sikh. So don't worry about plot, or catching every word the little girl says. Just relax and let the glorious images ripple over your eyeballs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lee Pace is such an amazing actor, 17 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
such a fantastic film! I was thinking ''what the hell'' when I first sat down and watched it, but as the film went on it got better and better. I love the surrealness of it, the colours, the imagery. The little girl is very sweet, and Lee Pace well...wow...that guy can ACT! He ain't just eye candy. This film had me crying my eyes out. Would recommend to anyone above 15 (there's some violent scenes) who loves fantasy and vivid imagery. I will be watching this again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful film., 28 Jan. 2012
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
I would just like to echo what other reviewers have already said about this film it is a visually stunning, well acted - the little girl is brilliant - and a great story. Buy it, you won't be dissappointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars A very arty film - it's somewhat slow paced and ..., 20 July 2014
This review is from: The Fall [DVD] (DVD)
A very arty film - it's somewhat slow paced and has the usual issue of people mumbling sometimes, but the cinematography of the fantasy elements and charisma of the main actors more than make up for it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 316 | Next ›

The Fall [Blu-ray]
The Fall [Blu-ray] by Tarsem Singh (Blu-ray - 2009)