5.0 out of 5 stars Best christmas DVD ever
This DVD has me roaring every time I watch it. The royle family haven't done a better christmas episode. A must watch over the festive period .....or any time to raise a smile. Love it
Published 16 months ago by JS

2.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near as good as I thought
The royle family is by far one of my favourite programs ever, I have all the series on DVD and can watch them repeatedly and not stop laughing. However, this Christmas special they did in 2008 'New Sofa' was a big disappointment. Admittedly I did smile a few times at some things they said now and then, but I watched this for the 2nd time properly a few days ago all the...
Published 9 months ago by Adamed

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!!, 25 Feb. 2009
Mandy Calow "dogwalker" (West Mids, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Royle Family - Christmas Special - The New Sofa [DVD] (DVD)
I Can't understand why so many people didn't like this Christmas Special. We all thought it was great in my family. I loved the part where you saw Dave and Denise trying to defrost the Turkey in various ways. Fantastic episode with a great cast.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish !, 2 Feb. 2009
Mr. Mg Reynolds "Carry On fan" (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
Idiotic & deeply offensive ! What is remotely funny about the underclass being revolting and living at the expensive of hardworking folk while making no effort at self-improvement ? This program is an indictment of welfare dependency much as Carry On At Your Convenience was an accurate depiction of union madness in the 1970's. There is nothing funny about jokes that are just cruder versions of bodily function type gags that the Carry On team were making us laugh with thirty odd years ago ? The script writers obviously have not got a clue when it comes to new ideas as they just rehash old ones instead. Even the 5p for a carrier bag joke was poor - I doubt that many M&S employees found that funny after all the controversy generated by that since May 2008. At least in Carry On Cleo & Calender Girls the gags about M&S where very witty indeed. To be open minded this was the first episode that I had seen and it will be the last. At least The Darling Buds Of May had some morals about it as Ma & Pa married in the end and while Pa dodged taxes like a trooper with his Sid James type wheeler-dealing equally they where pretty independent of the state and worked hard.

The Royle Family just tries to justify the kind of underclass that New Labour have created by making them seem comical and harmless while downplaying the damage that such an attitude can cause. Welfare dependency is bad - give me As Time Goes By any time ! The Royle Family is just a waste of acting talent - designed not to promote good taste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royle Family as good as ever, 17 Mar. 2009
Frankly I am surprised that so many of the reviews for 'The New Sofa' are negative. For me it was one of the highlights of Christmas 2008 on television, and Aherne and Cash's brilliant writing shone through once more. Although criticised for their slothful ways, as ever the love of the family for one another was palpable; Tom Courtenay was wonderful as Dave's father - witness the pride so brilliantly depicted as he described his son's 'management buyout' - and although the meal was little short of disastrous the closeness of the family transcended all. This is a classic of television and as clear an indication as any that Aherne and Cash have not lost their genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars victim of own success?, 3 Feb. 2009
I found the strength of other reviews surprising. This was one of the most enjoyable programmes in the christmas schedules. Sure not as strong as earlier stuff but very funny none the less. And of course those who don't like the basic premise of the Royle family funny shouldn't really be watching....

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 17 Feb. 2009
Don't listen to the negative reviews. I literally fell off the sofa laughing. Trully brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a christmas classic !, 11 Jan. 2009
I love the Royle Family and always have ! I feel like I know them well and at first I wasn't sure about seeing somewhere different with different characters but I gave it a chance, after all things don't stay the same forever....that's life ! I'm pleased I did...Yes it's got a new feel to it but at it's heart it was the Royle Family, excellent !

3.0 out of 5 stars Not The Same Without Nanna, 26 Dec. 2008
DL Productions UK (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Craig Cash and Caroline Aherne are back once again with another episode of The Royle Family, with dad Jim who's very funny yet very lazy, Barb, she's like a piano, played upon something rotten, Dave, a dunce and Denise who thinks the world of herself. They're all back to enjoy Christmas at the new family home, Denise and Dave's - with the joy of quirky Dave Senior (Dave's father) and Jocelyn, Dave's mum.

The day turns into a disaster when the turkey isn't ready, and Twiggy shows up, but will the rest of the day be better, or just the same?

This isn't their best episode, and many purists will be rather annoyed that it's not in Jim's house like it always has been. The burbles with nanna's face is just unexpected though, and the media hyped up the idea she would haunt them. I felt rather let down by the lack of fun and no Lurkio to pick on - this wasn't them firing on all cylinders, and many fans will probably be asking is this the end for the family?

Still, it still has a great social commentary the original had, and topical with most of them complaining about the credit crunch - and the reoccurring theme of the 5p carrier bag wearing a little thin towards the end.

Was alright, but it's not the sort of thing you'd want to watch again, well for me anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hillarious, 22 Aug. 2009
C. BIDDLE "mad about films" (Worksop England) - See all my reviews
Extremely funny, just as good as all the others couldnt stop laughing did miss Nana though

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely NOT a Turkey!!!, 5 Feb. 2009
LJC (Walsall, UK) - See all my reviews
I don't find many things funny but I think that this was the funniest thing on TV all Christmas (with the exception of Wallace and Grommit - Matter of Loaf and Death). I watched this with my other half and we loved it.The humour is so dry and the characters so well loved by now. Some people may say that the pauses in between laughs make it boring to watch but personally I love the pace of the comedy - it just keeps you waiting, almost holding your breath for the next laugh. What must be remembered is that this is not 'a laugh every two seconds, like the Two Ronnies' comedy but a slower burning - more akin to a real life docu soap comedy - still with loads of stuff to make you laugh your socks off!. This made my Christmas I have now invested in the DVD and no doubt it will be trotted out every Christmas and whenever I need a good laugh.

5.0 out of 5 stars Royle Family Christmas Special 2008, 9 Jan. 2009
I totally disagree with all the reviews, this was the funniset thing on television this Christmas. I will watch it over and over again. I believe that Caroline has enhanced the previous humour and moved it along superbly. Jim eating the after eights, cup a soup with a twist is just first class humour

‹ Previous | 16 7 8 | Next ›