5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun for younger children too
Published on 20 April 2008 by Cordelia

3.0 out of 5 stars Constantly being played with
Being thoroughly worked through and explored by a 7 year old with a little help from adults.
Very absorbing and will be helpful for school work
Published on 5 Jan 2012 by J. Meller

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun for younger children too, 20 April 2008
My 5 year old was given this as a present and he loves it. He very quickly worked out that you need to have a complete circuit and he happily makes different circuits to do different things. With a bit of explanation he understands what is going on so can trouble shoot on his own. It is so easy to pop together that there is no reason why younger children cannot benefit - particularly with a bit of adult help.

5.0 out of 5 stars At £14.99 for 100 Experiments - This offers Great Value, 9 Dec 2007
Ling Family (London, England) - See all my reviews
We received the Primary Kit with some other Cambridge BrainBox Kits as a Present.

This company seem to have two different size Kits for the 8 to 13 age level.
They charge £14.99 for the Primary Kit which includes 100 experiments
whereas the £29.99 Primary Plus Kit includes 500 experiments.

Anyway on to the Primary Kit which cost us £14.99 - it came in a large box with enough parts to construct over 100 experiments.
The parts were brightly coloured and number coded - which really did help us in the construction - and the bits seemed to be strong.

We have tried 2 of the kits now and my kids think that they are playing a game and having fun,
but at the same time they have been learning about Electronics. This is certainly easier than trying to get them to do their homework.

The Primary Kit is designed to teach children the basic principles of electricity and electronics.
It covers the requirements of the Science National Curriculum at Key Stages 1 & 2 with links to Design and Technology and adds many extra exciting experiments for good measure!

We experimented with controlling how to make lamps get brighter and got a motor working. Building the flying fan was great fun.
But the kids made a bit too much noise experimenting with electronic sirens.

We had to steer them to some of the quieter projects like building Electric Circuits, Light Emitting Diodes, Learning about different types of Switches and experimenting with Conductors and Insulators. We are now moving on to Series and Parallel Circuits

The teacher at our local school loves these kits because they teach at Key Stage level and are linked to the National Curriculum.
All of our family seem to have enjoyed using this kit so we would definitely recommend it.

Well done to Cambridge BrainBox who seem to have developed a good range of products
and the prices seem very reasonable considering how much content there is in the box.

Once you have bought the Primary Kit you will soon want the Primary Plus Kit because it has 500 experiments.

Its great fun using these kits and you learn lots while you are doing it - be careful as they do become addictive.
We had never previously heard about BrainBox until we saw it on Amazon.
We will certainly be recommending this range to our friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars a must have for curious 7/8 year olds, 21 Sep 2007
I. Cooke "bookworm" (Hertfordshire) - See all my reviews
My son got this for his 7th birthday, and 18 months on still loves it! I highly recommend it as it has kept him busy for hours on end. We will now be getting him Cars and Boats for Xmas

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun and educational as well, 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit (Toy)
I bought this for my 7 yr son last christmas, he loves it. He found the instructions easy to follow so was up and running in a couple of minutes. The helicopter and the sirens are great fun, he also experiments by using bits of tin foil, cutlery and other bits and pieces as part of the circuit to see what does and doesn't conduct electricty.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great present..., 19 Mar 2011
R. NEIL (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit (Toy)
This is a great toy - I initially bought it by mistake thinking it was for five year olds but the box says age 8. Nevertheless we decided to give it to our son for Christmas to see how he would get on with it and he absolutely loves it - best present of the year. Admittedly with a five year old you might well want to supervise them so that they don't blow any fuses or break any parts but it is a very educational and fun set.

We've since bought the same set for two other children as birthday presents and will investigate the other products for our son in due course.

The parts all clip together well and there is an explanatory booklet which is very clear.

Since making this review a few months back I am pleased to say that my son still loves the set. We had one problem which was wiring on the red LED part breaking as my son is a little heavy handed. No problem as I emailed the manufacturer and they came back to me really quickly with details of how to get a replacement part at a reasonable cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of fun for a 6 year old!, 16 Nov 2007
RS Martin (Peterborough, UK) - See all my reviews
My son got this from his grandmother last birthday (age 6) and has played and played with it. It comes with an easy to follow set of plans for instant gratification...loud noises, dramatic flight of a spinning disc and lights flashing but has spent hours creating his own circuits. Well worth the money and far better value than some available at 2 and 3 times the price. Definately recommended for little boys with active minds!

4.0 out of 5 stars great stuff, 13 May 2009
When my seven year old son opened this he looked very disappointned. Then he started playing with it and loved it. Great for stimulating imagination and very educational. He loves following instructions, but more so, inventing his own circuits. Great stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good fun, 27 Mar 2008
My son who is 8 loves this toy. He spends hours experimenting with different circuits. His brother who is 5 also enjoys connecting the pieces togerther and trying to make the lights or sirens work. I don't think they can understand the principles of connecting circuits in series or parallel but it doesn't seem to matter

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever easy electronics,, 12 Jan 2009
Belinda L (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit (Toy)
My 9 yr old got this for Christmas, He then started playing with it and hasn't stopped since! What is clever about this toy is the way the parts snap together. Each piece of the circuit, which could be the parts that generates different noises depending on how it is put into the circuit, or the battery pack, or the 'wire' which joins the parts, or the different light bulbs, they all link by something like a press-stud on the end of the piece of the bright plastic that they are mounted on. So it is easy to put together and take apart.

The book has an easy set of instructions, for doing the projects, although it is more aimed at a teacher leading a class, hence we skipped the 'now draw your own circuit' bits. Granny had to spend her Christmas transcribing his morse code messages! as he used the magnet to open and close the reed switch (I think that is what it was called!)

This is a fantastic gift for any child with an inquisitive mind and who likes to experiment. It is also durable although we did blow the fuse (it came with a spare)- I think by putting all 4 batteries on full power through it, - of course I should by now be an expert on why it blew - I think I'll ask my 9 yrs old...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for an 8 year old, 6 Mar 2010
R. Sharpe "rho40" (UK) - See all my reviews
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit (Toy)
i bought this for my 8 year old. He loves it. We spent a couple of hours working through the basic set-ups together and now he plays with it independently. The flying fan is a special favourite.
My only disappointment is that the kit contains two bulbs - one of which never worked - and a lot of the experiments require two bulbs. if this is a gift, it might be worth opening it up and buying in some spare bulbs in advance.

Cambridge Brainbox Primary 2 Electronics Kit