Package Quantity: 1|Change

on 14 June 2011
I purchased a Rolson Magnifier from Amazon and have found this product invaluable for close up work. As i work in an engineering workshop and some of the work i do involves working to fine tolerances this is just the thing i needed. I have found it great for doing fine work on the bandsaw and the fretsaw. The four options of magnification allow for a greater range of use such as working with clock movements etc. Its also great when silver soldering small items of jewelry as both hands are free to use the gas torch and silver solder rod. I highly recommend this magnifier and wish i had had it years ago.Rolson Tools 60390 LED Head Loupe Magnifier Visor
on 8 November 2010
The quality is fine for my purpose and the lowest magnification lens is all that I need (so far!) but there's a box full of lenses. The LED lamp is bright enough to help in most situations. Given the cost of more expensive solutions (without useful lamps in all of them), and I have tried three others so far, these are the ones that I use day in, day out. Of course they make you look a bit goofy, but I just keep them on most of the time I'm working anyway. I'll probably end up using them to read the kids their bedtime story before too long - hope I don't fall asleep with them on. If you find it hard to see close up and need your hands free, then 1) accept that you'll probably buy a lot of things that don't do what you need 2) give these a try as the best value I've found yet.

May 2015, they're still going strong. Used them to solder teeny-tiny wires on a laptop.
on 18 November 2009
Contrary to what you may have read on other websites, this visor does have provision for mounting two lenses at once, allowing them to be used in combination. Both mounts are pivoted, allowing the lens to be folded up for a greater view area without needing to raise the visor.
While the plastic used in the construction looks brittle, in practice it seems robust enough. The main thing to watch out for seems to be not pressing the lamp against something when inserting the lenses. The flexible mounting of the lamp does help prevent damage, and if you use a surface such as your lap you should have no problems.
Not tried the lamp out yet, but the example I brought thoughtfully included a pair of AAA batteries ready for use.
I'm a miniature painter and have finally had to accept that painting fine details such as the eyes is becoming more luck than skill. Another benefit is that I can now get a real time view of the model much closer to what the camera sees. We have all painted models that we thing are flawless only to photograph them and have flaws appear on the photo. Using the magnifier I should be able to get the paintjob right first go.
11 comment|111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 November 2011
This is ideal for doing detailed painting on models, particularly on 1:72 figures, which are tiny to start with. Recommended for all users.
on 30 October 2011
I should have got one of these years ago for my electronics projects.Makes detailed work easy.I saw on another review they said it was flimsy but I didn't find that to be the case.The light on the front also is handy.Qiute happy with this product.
The instruction guide is a fun read ('...Please read manual instructions before using it correctly and safely...' and continues in that vein:)) but is also very helpful for setting this up for the first use. The best tip I can pass on is that a careful reading of the instructions is a total must before doing anything towards using this - it is a little fragile and I can see where it would be easy to break this if trying to insert the lenses or adjust the head strap without knowing the little secrets of how this works! The guide also has good tips for use, warnings re safety, how to repair loose connections on the lamp bulb, and voltage for replacement batteries and lamp bulb.

I really like the way this thing is designed - the magnifying lenses snap in easily, flip down comfortably before my tri-focal spectacles, and flip up out of the way when not needed. The head strap adjust easily and is very comfortable once adjusted. The LED lamp, well, it's a bit on the weak side - could be twice as bright, but it does swivel slightly right to left and can be adjusted up-down very slightly as well. With lenses installed the unit is still not too heavy to be worn for long periods, and the lenses give good magnification.

I also really like that the lenses are in a very sturdy storage box and that the whole unit and lenses box can be stored and transported easily owing to the well thought out factory packaging - the base is a good stout plastic with a rest for the unit and a spot for the lenses box, and is inside a a thick cardboard easy to open box. Most of the time this unit will be either in use or hanging on a hook at my workbench but I do travel with my jewellery making and so will save the factory packaging for travel.

All in I'm very impressed with this and would recommend it to others. As in the above, the only better models of this sort of thing I've seen are triple-digit-priced professional ones, and LOL, I'm not at that point quite yet:)
on 9 November 2011
Brought this for a woodworking course I am doing, amazed at what you get for the price, really pleased. Just ordered another for my dad, It even comes with batteries!
on 6 June 2010
Highly delighted with hands free hesd magnifier. It was despatched promptly and arrived in good condition. It is easy to use and works well.
on 19 January 2013
Ordered this on Thursday night, arrived Saturday (despite the snow), so well done Amazon AND Royal Mail!
This product is superb, especially for the price. The visor is lightweight, and easily adjustable, and should fit most head sizes. It doesn't slip down, and you hardly know you are wearing it (so do be careful if you leave the house with it on, as you will look a bit odd).
The retaining screws on the side ensure the visor section is firmly in place, so it doesn't fall forward too.
Now, the lenses aren't precision ground glass, but they are very acceptable, and very clear and smooth. What I most like is that the visor has 2 positions to fit the lenses into, which is intended (I guess) to achieve a focal distance that suits your own eyes. But what it also means is you can use 2 lenses together. I have experimented with the weakest in the first slot, and then another in the furthest slot, which can be pulled down to increase the magnification.
There is a previous review that gives the product 1 star, stating that you have to be only 3 inches away from the item you are magnifying to make this work - well I am not sure about his eyes, but depending on the lens used, it is not like that at all. At 47, my eyes are starting to weaken now, and I have to hold magazine further away to focus - with these on, they allow me to focus at a comfortable level.
But I didn't buy these as glasses replacements - I bought them for close-up working when painting 28mm figures, or working on anything where I currently get frustrated by the quality of my eyes.
In a nutshell, for the price, you genuinely cannot go wrong.
Oh, and as a bonus, take the time to thoroughly read the instructions - top quality translation, including these being suitable for a "beast doctor" which I assume is vet!
on 21 March 2011