4.0 out of 5 stars good christmas fun
this is a very enjoyable if very slight doctor who special. david tennant gives his usual excellent performance, in fact, his performances make even the worst episodes of doctor who worth watching. this is not one of those episodes though. action packed, tense and with terrific special effects. the scenes of the cyberking towering over london would i have to say looked...
Published on 28 Dec 2008 by Mr. R. W. Graham

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not the best ever.
I never miss the Doctor Who special on Christmas Day and this year was no exception- I waited with baited breath ever since the tantalising glimpse on Children in Need.

David Tennant is always excellent and there are always superb actors queing to appear in the specials and this year we had the brilliant David Morrisey and the lovely Dervla "This is not just...
Published on 12 Jan 2009 by sam155

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Christmas Treat!, 1 Jan 2009
This review is from: Doctor Who: The Next Doctor, 2008 Christmas Special [DVD] (DVD)
This was the best Christmas Special by Far! The storyline was brilliant, th acting was the best in years, and the cybermen are back and they are bigger and better than ever! The cybermen approach in the snow which is how they were first ever found so it resembles to that aswell.
This is one that I would defientley reccommend to buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dr Who the Next Doctor DVD, 20 April 2009
Lois Ache - See all my reviews
Even though I had trouble getting a copy of this DVD, and was not in the correct format to view it, which I had to find a company that copies video's and DVD's in the correct format to view on the DVD and Video Players in the U.S., I am glad I got one copy anyway. I ordered 2 copies from Amazon.co.uk and 1 copy from a marketplace, but received only 1 copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Next Doctor ?, 9 Mar 2009
Not having seen it on TV (as in France we're a season behind), I was a little intrigued by the title.
David Morrisey would in fact have made a very good Doctor.
I wonder why the Cybermen are feared so much? I was much more afraid of the Daleks or the Ice warriors as a child !
Brilliant characterisation as usual in David Tennant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 25 Feb 2009
T. D. Little (Fort Leavenworth, KS USA) - See all my reviews
This was great. It was neat to see The Doctor without anyone traveling with him. Jackson was a great character and played very well.

2.0 out of 5 stars Utterly awful, 31 Dec 2008
This stank! The Cybermen were made to look like a joke. The reasons given for them being in the wrong universe and in the past were lame. The 'Next Doctor' element was easy to figure out within minutes. The resolution of the problem that was the laughable CyberKing was unsatisfying. I dreaded that the 'something else' that the 'Next Doctor' couldn't remember being in his basement was going to be a Dalek, but it was worse and infinitely more boring in as much as it was the soppiest and most sickeningly sweet child (whom I wanted the Cybermen to delete) instead.

A string of disappointments and missed opportunities. Come on Russell T. We all know you're leaving, but don't take the show down with you.

This only gets stars because David Tennant was, as usual, brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bloody Awful, 29 Dec 2008
M. Evans - See all my reviews
The new series of Dr Who has been hit and miss to say the least (more misses than hits I would say), but this latest christmas 'special' plumbed new depths of sheer awfulness. The new cybermen are dreadful stomping metal reinventions of the once-chilling classic series ones and are at their least threatening ever in this story. David Tennant gives yet another irritatingly one-note performance (seems the only acting style he can do is 'wacky') and looks throughly bored for the most part. The 'period' setting is dreadfully unrealistic, not for one second do you get any evocation at all of victorian england, the new companion, Rosita, is totally characterless (and the most blatant example yet of politically correct casting in a series that has been dogged by the 'PC' factor), the music is terrible, constantly having to force the viewer what to feel every 2 seconds, and the whole plot is innane and juvenile. Overall, the new doctor who just seems to be going from bad to worse and this was one of the worst yet. Avoid!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Christmas Episode Yet!, 16 Jan 2009
This is by far the best Doctor Who Christmas episode to date. It really knocks spots off last years' truly terrible Voayge Of The Damned!
David Tennant and David Morrissey are spectacular!
If you love Doctor Who then this a real festive treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different, But All Good Fun Eh?, 10 Jan 2009
I, like most people, eagerly waited for the Christmas episode this year, hearing stories and seeing them [in my job I cannot miss them] as they appeared in the press about the future of David Tennant and so, sat down after everyone had gone home on Christmas Day to what is fast becoming a traditional pastime; watching the Christmas Special.

I had heard it was going to be two doctors and the truth behind the storyline had been hidden well, even in its enmbargoed format, such is the close hand that messrs BBC and Russell T Davies keep.

But was I glad about the fact that he had written it. Were you, like me, wondering just what they had done in the latest series? Different writers, with differing styles, all moving the Doctor into something alien [ooh] to what he is?

It was fast becoming the Doctor Who that I could happily forget. I had even sold virtually all three series of DVDs thinking it was not worth following as a collector of the DVDs if it was going to be this sloppy.

But then came this special. Anything with the Cybermen is going to get me going so I was a happy bunny, but there were on or two things that got my goat. Siince when did the Iron Giant invade Victorian London, or even Cardiff?

And before we get too bogged down in fanzine stuff here, since when did the BBC allow a film unit to act out a killing scene in a real graveyard. According to the follow up on BBC 3 that is what they did. If that is true, then why does that not sit right with me?

But anyway, I still like it enough to buy it when it comes out, or maybe a little later when it is cheaper cos I am a skinflint nowadays.

All good fun eh?

1.0 out of 5 stars A downfall for doctor who, 29 Dec 2008
The season 4 finally gripped me and the trailer for this was brillent. I love the cybermen but this was rubbish. The horrible 60 mnutes made me boared and boared. Christmas isn't complete without Doctor Who but this year didn't gripp me. I loved the last three years. Now this one dosen't follow and I gave this a one.

ARRAY(0xad2bbc6c)