• India

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 August 2014
Brilliant CD, it gets played at least three times a day without fail. I work with my fiancée as a child-minder and we have a number of foreign language music CD's that we play for the children throughout the day and this has to be the current favourite. will highly recommend it.
on 26 November 2014
I love to play the Putumayo series at the school I run and the children usually love it. For this particular one, I'd have given it 5 stars had it had some elements of Bollywood music in it. It's all rather too slow for a school environment. Perhaps a new India edition with some faster paced, danceable, more exciting tracks would be in order.
on 29 March 2011
Various Artists - Putumayo Presents India (Putumayo Records)
Putumayo's intriguingly titled "India" CD is their first to focus solely on the sub-continent, and attempts to showcase the huge country's rich musical tradition, from traditional folk to new electronica and Bollywood. That's a lot to cover in 10 tracks / 43 minutes, but they make a fair fist of it, and more importantly, it's a collection that hangs together nicely, scoring points for playability rather that any educational virtues.

They've attracted no shortage of big names: A.R. Rahmen (nicknamed "the Mozart of Madras"... I've been reliably informed) is among the most acclaimed composers of contemporary Bollywood, and he's represented here on "Tere Bina". It's interesting that so many of the artists present have Western or, at least, non-Indian backgrounds. There are recordings here by Canadian, U.S., British and South African Indians. Whether that's to do with access to artists, I don't know, but there must be enough Indians, born in India, and performing and recording in India, for a 10 track compilation. Maybe that's not the point. As previously stated, it plays well, and I'll be looking out for some of the artists represented. That's probably enough for now. 7/10.
on 21 June 2016
Too cheesy and a little boring...
Sounds like a sample of Eurovision songs of 30 years ago with a little Indian twist.
It does not sound Indian enough somehow and perhaps the songs chosen lack a bit of vibe.
on 30 August 2011
I bought this CD for my daughter for Christmas after she listened to excerpts from it in a shop. She really loves it and I often hear the music coming from her room. It's really beautiful and a great mix of different styles.
on 31 March 2013
i love the CD and the service was great too. got it in only a few days.
everything is perfect