Flavour: Forrest Berries|Change

As far as protein bars go, these work out to be pretty good value for money. They come in at just under a pound a pop and pack 19 grams of protein too; which is pretty respectable although there are bars out there that contain 25 grams or more. The ingredients too look good with the flapjacks being made up of a 36% oat blend.

Taste wise, they're good too. They're a little sweet for my taste but I like that they have a soft and gooey texture rather than a teeth crackingly hard one. They're nice and moist and also benefit from being dipped in white chocolate, leaving a thin coating along the bottom of the bar - not unlike the yoghurt coating along the bottom of Alpen cereal bars (if you've ever had them).

The box arrived pretty battered. Torn and falling apart in fact and it didn't matter. I was expected to have a box-full of bars that were reduced to crumbs, but because the flapjacks are soft and chewy, they all survived the trip through the Royal Mail sorting office even if their display box didn't.

Overall I think these are a good, tasty source of protein that is welcome in my lunch box anytime. In fact, I'd go so far as to say, PHD's Flap Jack is a 'berry' good bar - Ho! Ho! Ho! boom-boom! Thank you ladies and gentlemen I'm here all night...

Here are the stats, figures and nutritional information per bar:

Energy (KJ) = 1200
(of which saturates) = 2.7 grams
Dietary Fibre = 2.5 grams
Sodium = 0.056 grams

Allergy Information is as follows:
The bars contain Gluten, Soya, Milk and may contain eggs, peanuts and other nuts.
33 comments| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 June 2011
These bars are great. Each bar weighs 75grams and contains 19grams (25%) of protein, and theyre a really filling snack. Ideal for when you're on the go or at the gym and fancy an after-exercise munch. The taste is good although it doesn't really resemble a flapjack. There's also a slight 'dusty' texture... sandy/floury. Hard to explain, no big deal though. The price is amazing, £20 for 24 bars is much cheaper than other brands who charge around £1.20 per bar! (The price may have changed since i wrote this)
I suppose the only negative about the bars is the high amounts of carbohydrates; 42grams per bar, well over half the weight. Bad if you're on a low-carb diet, but for me, I don't care really.
on 10 April 2013
Most of the protein flapjacks brands are identical to one another apart from 0.1g here and there on macros. I've tried a lot of protein flapjacks and these are simply the best tasting. Most protein flapjacks I've tried are quite dry making them a chore to chew down. PhD flapjacks very moist, which is delicious (IMO). Caution though, PhD flapjacks are so moreish that you might find yourself snacking on them without realising it. Its also nice a nice bonus to have something "protein" to be forest berries for a change. Chocolate and all its varieties gets a bit boring after a while.
on 2 October 2012
I bought these to take on a trip abroad since the airlines no longer appreciate it when dodgy looking powders spill out of my bag. However, they're so good I might start buying them regularly.

The bars are dense and chewy, but not quite in that "how will I ever finish this thing and still have teeth" way that some protein bars seem to adopt. You can really taste the berries, and there is also a very thin layer of white chocolate on the base which makes it seem like a treat rather than diet control.

The overall texture is much less oaty than you would expect from a flapjack; the oats are kind of suspended in a block of protein. But the overall experience is great.

The expiration date gives them an eight-month shelf life.
Allergy information: contains gluten, soya, milk. May contain eggs, peanuts, and other nuts.
One word of warning - this is NOT a low carb bar! 43g carbs per 75g flapjack.

On the whole I'd recommend these, especially for those moments when it's just not practical to use a protein shake or start cooking up chicken breasts. I'll certainly buy them again.
on 12 January 2014
I have reordered this product a number of times now and use it as a pre-workout snack to keep me going at the gym.

It is quite solid and takes some chewing, but you can taste the oats and is less powdery than any other protein bars I have tried.

Good price for a box of 24.

I would recommend for anyone looking to add extra protein to their diet.
on 24 January 2012
these flapjacks take some beating even ordinary chocolate bars and flapjacks dont taste this good try them 4 yourself 20 grams of protien 6 grams of fat thats less than 2 tracker bars,ill be buying more
I don't have a sweet tooth or a sweet diet, but what I do have is issues with my protein intake and a space between meals that needs a good nutritious snack to kill off what hunger pangs may linger at work.

Let's face it, no matter how much you claim to not have a sweet tooth, the donut and pizza-fest they have in offices is a ridiculous temptation, is it not?

These PhD protein bars are tasty morsels. Prepare yourself though if you're not used to the sugar hit, as they are quite sweet and very, very dense. Hunger is kept away neatly, and the high-protein low GI low saturated fat combo is an obvious plus. This is my first test of PhD's products and I'm pleased with the results.

Certainly going to look at purchasing more in the future, though probably through Amazon as the prices on here are more keen than the ones seen on their own website.

NUTRI-FACTS

- if you eat too many of these, they have a laxative effect. trolol
- 1 - 2 daily as part of your meal plans
- 286 kcal per bar
- 19g protein
- 42.8g carbs (10.1g sugars)
- 10.6g polyols
- 6.5g fat (2.7g saturated)
- 2.5g dietary fibre
on 12 February 2013
Arrived today, had to try one when I opened them.
First thoughts would be:

-Very sweet,I expected this from other reviews, and must say its sweeter than even I thought it was going to be!
-A little dry, I've had other flapjacks that have been moist, by no means is it hard to eat, just need to chew a bit longer.
-Tasty! This bar is possibly the best tasting protein bar I've had, sweet but you really forget your eating a protein bar and not just a snack.

Not sure whether I prefer the Sci-MX yogurt bars, that's the reason it got 4 stars.

Per bar:
- 285kcal
- 19 grams protein
- 42.8g Carbs - 10.1g of which sugars, 10.6g Polyols (This probably includes Malititol! So don't eat too much or you'll be on toilet!)
- 6.5g Fat - 2.7g of which saturates.
- 2.5g Dietary Fibre
- 0.056 Sodium

Will probably buy again.
on 14 June 2014
I can't stop eating these. The taste and texture are great.

If you don't mind the carbs, these are probably the best value protein flapjacks on the market.
The amount of sugar is a bit too high in my opinion, but nevertheless a 5 star product.

78 pence per bar, can't get a better deal than that.
on 25 July 2012
For the money these are spot on. I've tried other bars (forget the name) and they were slightly powdery and bland. These on the other hand, are chewy, lovely, sweet, and tasty. I have one a day when i commute for breakfast 10/10