5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest adaptations I've seen
I've waited ages for this to be available on DVD, having loved it when I first saw it on TV at Christmas 12 years ago.

Published on 16 Feb 2009 by James Booth

Worth watching for the beautiful sets and scenery but this film failed to engage me as Wilkie Collin's original text does. The acting is fine but the story develops too perfunctorily.....perhaps it's just too big a story for a short film.
Published on 12 Sep 2012 by M.G.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest adaptations I've seen, 16 Feb 2009
James Booth (Chelmsford, ESSEX United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)

The Moonstone is my favourite novel; I re-read it most years and the BBC did a fantastic job of adapting it. There are changes, and amalgamated characters of course (Dr Candy and Mr Murthwaite being the most notable examples). However, the casting is perfect - especially the wonderful Peter Vaughan as Betteredge, the settings are excellent and the whole thing has a fantastic sense of period.

Honestly, I can't recommend it enough. It's up there with Pride and Prejudice as an example of how to transfer a much-loved book to the screen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one's a real gem!!, 15 Feb 2005
This review is from: The Moonstone [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I have to be honest, if I hadn't been studying the book for a university course, I would probably never have come across this film, but I am SO glad I did. Based on the novel by Wilkie Collins, this film has a good adaptation of the story (something not all film versions have). It is a drama in every sense of the word. From a mystery to suicide and a satisfying ending, this film is a perfect companion to the book, but also if you just want to sit down on a sunday afternoon and spend a couple of hours enjoying a really good film. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where is the DVD?!, 19 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Moonstone [VHS] (VHS Tape)
This has to be my favorite period drama to date. The story is captivating and the acting superb. Couple this with the excellent score and this is a film that I have to return to time and time again.
Keeping almost entirly faithfull to Collins, the adaptaion is one of the best I have seen for classic English literature.
The only problem is the format. When will we see the DVD? If you can bring yourself to go back to VHS then this is definitly worth buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent period drama, 25 Feb 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: The Moonstone [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I watched The Moonstone when it first appeared on tv a good few years ago and enjoyed it every bit as much as when I originally read the book by Wilkie Collins. It's an excellent "whodunnit" and really keeps you guessing. Greg Wise is a consumate actor and is also good to look at!! If you enjoy costume drama/mystery then I recommend you treat yourself to a copy of The Moonstone - you'll be gripped!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Moonstone, 20 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
This is a typically high-quality production from the BBC of a work by a little known writer and as such deserves to be seen. It is a thriller so don't be put off by the 'costume' aspect; superbly acted by all the cast and, if you haven't read the book, keeps you guessing right to the end. Makes a pleasant change to see something other than Austen or Dickens, Tudor or Ancient Rome, and that is intelligent and interesting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the Moonstone, 25 Feb 2009
Judith Best - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
I already have the video of this and was delighted that it has come out on DVD. The production is superb and I feel that it should be regarded as a Classic.

4.0 out of 5 stars Moonstone, 8 Aug 2010
Mrs. B. Bromley "Boni Bromley" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
Very well done, good choice of actors but did not quite capture the atmosphere of the book. I would still recommend it though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely photography but fails to grip you as the original book does., 12 Sep 2012
M.G. (Devon, England) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars humourless, 24 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
Badly shortened version of a lovely book. All the humour was missing. Betteredge's personality was bland and dull, unlike the lovable character of the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the book, but still gripping!, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Moonstone [DVD] (DVD)
I ordered The Moonstone on DVD after recently re-reading the book (one of my all-time favourites) for around the 4th time. Perhaps that is reflected in my rating... The book (often claimed to be the first detective novel) is so very cleverly constructed on a series of accounts by the different characters - which was absent in the TV series. I was glad to see the TV series reflected the character of the curmudgeonly butler, albeit with less detail. Other fascinating characters were merged or missing - but my greatest disappointment was the appearance of the statue: cheap white plaster unlikely to inspire any devotion! If you are a reader interested in Victorian society and love a well-crafted mystery, forget the DVD and order the book - you'll love it! But if you prefer to 'watch', the TV series is a great introduction to the thrills of Wilkie Collins' books with their dramatic twists and turns.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Moonstone [DVD]
The Moonstone [DVD] by Greg Wise (DVD - 2009)