5.0 out of 5 stars Insane price providing amazing sound quality., 6 Oct 2009
This review is from: Westone Westone 3 Headphone (Electronics)
I usually scoff at the extremes so called audiophiles go to, but a few years ago I took the plunge and purchased the UM2 earphones. Like a reviewer said of another product, I was like a kid listening to my favourite music in a new light.
This year I bought these earphones. The sound quality is outstanding. Really, that's all there is to say, right?
Oh yeah, they are just as comfortable as the UM2 model. I think the user can get a better seal with the foam tips, but these do pick up ear wax (no matter how clean you think your ears are), so they don't last forever.
You get many more tip options with the Westone 3s than you do with the UM2s. 11 different sets I think. Some plastic, some foam.
In a way, I was not as blown away by these as I was by the UM2s. This of course is because I am accustomed to the sound to an extent. The change from cheap phones to the UM2s was much more of a pleasant surprise. I remember trying them out for the first time right outside the shop and listening to Leftfield's Release The Pressure with my jaw on my lap.
The Westone 3s are very, very expensive I admit. I just use my mp3 all the time, so I feel I get my money's worth. Of course, if I didn't not constantly listen to music, then yes, these could indeed be viewed as a waste of money.
Obviously, not everyone will feel the need for these earphones (I can't bring myself to call them monitors!), but I don't regret the purchase at all.
I do however regret that my trusty old iriver H320 died on me a while ago. I have never been able to find a music player with that level of fidelity ever since. It was an antiquated brick, but it sounded fantastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a sound!, 25 Oct 2011
This review is from: Westone Westone 3 Headphone (Electronics)
I am going go start with the only dislike. I previously had a Monster Jamz earphone, which screamed quality when you looked at it. This one looks and feels cheap. The overall quality is just not there. But you buy earphones for the sound. And my god the SOUND..... I cannot compare it to its rivals like the Shure 530 or the Sennheiser IE8 because I haven't listened to those. But I dont care! I put hese in my ear and I'm blown away by the sound. Great detail without sounding too clinical. Its true what they say about the eartips, you get 10 pairs with it but you have to find out wich one is working for you. If you don't get a good seal don't expect anything special.

4.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sound quality, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Westone Westone 3 Headphone (Electronics)
The sound quality from these earphones is stunning but its worth mentioning that its not that accurate.There is a bass hump in the westone 3 that really became obvious when i upgraded to the westone 4 which i preferred for the greater clarity and accuracy you get from them.In comparison the westone 3 have a full bassy sound while the westone 4 have a flat sound more pronounced on the highs.You get 10 different ear tips with these and once you find your perfect seal(which will be superb noise isolation)you will be impressed with the detail these bring out in your music i.e sounds you never new were there especially if you are upgrading from cheap earphones.

Bear in mind that these are bassy earphones and if you like bass these are a great buy but if you favour clarity in your music then go with something like the westone 4.

Westone Westone 3 Headphone