5.0 out of 5 stars Alessi Parrot corkscrew
This is a lovely twist on an otherwise non-descript product. The simple conversion of a waiters corkscrew into a cockatoo is so perfect. It is called the parrot though the raising of the serated foil cutting blade completly makes it look like a cockatoo.

Published on 3 Jan. 2011 by Bill Jarvis

2.0 out of 5 stars this is made worse by it being hinged halfway down
Looks fabulous - makes me smile every time I see it. Superb manufacturing quality.

But 2 stars for functionality, as a corkscrew the metal 'tooth' is angled wrong & slips off the glass bottle rim, this is made worse by it being hinged halfway down. Perhaps there is a knack to it - but surely you shouldn't need to have a knack when using a corkscrew...
Published 1 month ago by Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars Alessi Parrot corkscrew, 3 Jan. 2011
Bill Jarvis (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

I have several of this type of corkscrew, from basic wine waiter's utensils bought from chandlery stalls in Spanish markets to the Stainless steel verion called Grocky from IKEA and this is the best.

I thought at first that this would be a triumph of form over function but the simple addition of the pivoting hinged bottle grip arm, makes it phenominally easy to use.

This is an excellent product and a true peice of design in one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best corkscrew on the market, 12 Jan. 2010
Julia Sweetman (England) - See all my reviews
Without a doubt, the best corkscrew available. Not only does it have the 2-steps necessary to remove the most stubborn of corks, it also has the best sort of foil cutting serrated blade. Highly recommended. This is the fourth one I've bought as mine is envied by all, I'm gradually buying more to use as presents.

5.0 out of 5 stars Alessi Parrot, 15 Feb. 2009
Lam Mei Yee (France) - See all my reviews
We love this parrot corkscrew, it very easy to operat and is a joy in the kitchen. In fact this is our second one, the first one flew away. There is also a lovely feel as one clutches it. The two steps to unpluck the cork makes the whole bottling opening hassle free.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best corkscrew ever!!!, 16 Feb. 2011
I have bought this corkscrew more than a month ago and couldn't be happier about it! It's stylish, sleek, non slippery and gives you a good grip. As my job is in the bar, I needed the corkscrew, which would be reliable. A lot of people commented how stylish it looks too. Absolutely LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 9 May 2012
I bought this corkscrew based on looks and some reviews by other users and I must say it is the business. Very well built, quality materials, amazing looks. Outstanding! I just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Di Alessi Hand-decorated Parrot Proust Sommelier Corkscrew, 1 Jan. 2013
Chris "Lis" (NOTTINGHAM, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Di Alessi Hand-decorated Parrot Proust Sommelier Corkscrew in Cast Aluminiumin and PC (Kitchen & Home)
I bought this item as a special gift, and found it to be quite charming. I would recommend it to anybody who wants to give something a bit out of the ordinary to someone special.

2.0 out of 5 stars this is made worse by it being hinged halfway down, 23 Jan. 2015
Tim (far far away) - See all my reviews

But 2 stars for functionality, as a corkscrew the metal 'tooth' is angled wrong & slips off the glass bottle rim, this is made worse by it being hinged halfway down. Perhaps there is a knack to it - but surely you shouldn't need to have a knack when using a corkscrew!

SHAME on Alessi for producing an item that does not actually perform its primary function.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very pretty. Feels good under the hand, 3 Jan. 2015
Very pretty. Feels good under the hand. First use the black plastic underside of the parrot sheared off so I have tried to glue it back on. It works using steps or stages on the metal lever but this slipped off the bottle rim and nipped my hand. To me it's an expensive and good looking novelty. I was trying to get a sunken cork from a frizzante so maybe it just isn't suitable for that. Im disappointed though. It looked funky.

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed with supplier! Although the item is superb, 27 July 2014
S "S" (Preston, UK) - See all my reviews
It was faulty - a scratch on the metal and a bubble in one of the painted 'feathers'. No problem in returning though.

However, I had to buy from John Lewis and use their 'Click & Collect' service so I could to check it was perfect as it was a gift and I couldn't chance another faulty on.

It is a beautiful design and a work of art!

2.0 out of 5 stars Looks fantastic - but not fit for purpose, 2 Mar. 2015
Alun Davies (GB - Wales - Cardiff) - See all my reviews
I was thrilled with this gift and use it when I can - but frankly as a corkscrew it is less than successful. As others have said the lever slips off the rim easily - far too easily. A cheap waiters friend is much more efficient and costs about £5. Back to the drawing board Alessi-!