5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good phone.
I bought one of these and it's very easy to set up and use, once the account is set up there is no need for a pc at all. As a test i took it over seas on a project in Algeria, on the site the was a satellite internet connection and it finds the skype connection in no time at all.
Published on 25 Jun. 2008 by Peter Johnson

3.0 out of 5 stars Work well, terrible human interface
I bought these to replace my original Skype Dual phones - I had a pair - which worked on a USB connection to a PC running Skype, there was also the telephone connection; allowing the phone to be used to make or receive land line as well as Skype calls.

Published on 6 Feb. 2010 by Mr. Nicholas Good

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a good phone., 25 Jun. 2008
The only criticism is that the audio quality degrades very slightly if another PC is using the same ethernet hub as the phone, it saved me a lot of money on overseas calls. Now I use it full time at home, I have no conventional landline at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone - my best purchase from amazon so far, 16 Dec. 2009
W. Tapsell (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: RTX Dualphone 3088 PSTN/Skype Dual Twin Dect Cordless Telephone - Black (Electronics)
I purchased this phone to try and lower my monthly phone bill by getting a subscription from skype and cutting down on my landline costs. Boy has it worked. The ability to call out on skype and receive a call on the landline is also a great benefit. Another great point is anyone who has a skype account can call your skype account direct (skype to skype) and it will ring your phones like someone is ringing from the landline. This is good for when I am out of the country as all I need is a wireless connection to ring home from my laptop.

The phone itself is really easy to set up (although setting up the skype logon with a complex password is hard on a phone keypad!) and upgrades are easy to apply. The quality is excellent and a lot of people don't even notice that I am calling via skype. Another benefit is begin able to logon to your skype account on your computer and setup contacts in there and then watching them appear on your contact list on the phone.

On the slightly negative side one of my phone chargers developed a fault within a month of purchase but their support was excellent. I just had to email them and they sent out a replacement charger within a week of the problem.

I highly recommend this phone in combination with a skype subscription.

3.0 out of 5 stars Work well, terrible human interface, 6 Feb. 2010
Mr. Nicholas Good (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews

The advantage of these phones over the original USB Dual phone - again I bought a pair - is that no PC is required, you don't have to leave your PC on all the time and suppress it from going into stand-by mode, indeed you can switch the PC off because the base station 'speaks' directly to your router; it connects directly to your internet router via a RJ45 (network) cable.

These phones work very well, as advertised. However the colour screen is very small and the Skype commands displayed on this screen are rendered ridiculously small, far smaller than a typical Nokia cell phone. Additionally, the physical keys on the phone, for some bizarre reason, possibly fashion trumping function, have been made minuscule. This is silly as there is way more space to put decent sized, properly backlit well contrasted keys than on a cell phone.

The result is, that these phones are rather considerably more difficult to use than the original Skype Dual phone, which alas I have given away to a friend. One final critique, the ring is also rather too faint, even on maximum volume.

To be fair, one distinct advantage they do have over the original Dual phone, is the speaker phone mode; a useful feature. However, overall I'm rather disappointed.

Now to be fair, the tiny display and minuscule keys may have worked OK....sh for me when I was in my 20s and had perfect close-up vision but now that I am in my 40s, they are just irritating. This is why I only gave it 3 stars.

My considered view is if you have the original Skype USB Dual Phone, don't 'upgrade', rather wait for the next release.

In the next iteration, they need to sort out the human interface - big clear screen, nice big back-lit buttons, with lots of contrast, and also remove the need for the RJ45 cable link to the router, making the base station entirely wireless (IEEE 802.11g/n etc).

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Disappointment, 3 Aug. 2009
C. Phillips (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I've had this phone for a short while, I have noticed two things so far. One is that the sound from landline seems to be rather bassy, which in its own right is not a bad thing, but can be a surprise to the first time user.

Secondly, unless I have missed this, there doesn't seem to be a way to add contacts for landline use. All the functionality seems to be reserved for Skype use, which sadly I've not actually used yet, although setting up an account was very easy, as was setting up a second handset.

The phone chrages exteemly fast, once the initial charge is managed. The screen is very bright and clear. The choice of ringtones is a bit limited, but they are functional.

I like the design of the phone and it sits in the hand well. I've not noticed it getting hot, as I have had this sensation with my former Dect phones.

I have sky broadband and I had been concerned that the phone would have difficulty connecting, but there was no issue.

In summary, if you use the phone mostly for Skype, I think this phone will be a very good option. The abiltiy to set up an account on the phone is a bonus to me.

2.0 out of 5 stars Ringer and audio very poor, 8 Mar. 2010
G. Emmidisetty "beamer racer" (Telford, UK) - See all my reviews
I was searching for the same type of Skype phone in Philips brand and because I couldn't find, I bought this. I was able to connect, set up an account, all features as mentioned are all working fine except the ringer and the audio quality. Even with the max volume for the ringer and the speaker, they are very less audible. In fact after few months of use, ringer stopped working and we were able to recognise the incoming calls from the light blinks. The cost of calls are cheaper but at the end of the day the conversations are not pleasant because of the bad audio quality. I will not recommend this phone and also there is no customer support. Very bad.

4.0 out of 5 stars Skype with your computer turned off (broadband turned on), 17 July 2009
This is a great idea - letting you use skype without having your computer turned on all the time - you just need an extra LAN socket in your broadband box. We have managed to cut our communications bill by half. (the phone paid for itself in two months) A couple of Skype mobiles help. It can also be connected to your land-line, so you can get all your calls through one (or a pair) of handsets.

The kit is simple to set up (similar to connecting your broadband box), and the menu is easy to use and add contacts, clever the way they make it like a mobile menu.

We use it with Skpeout for Europe

There are only a couple of down points.

Power supply
- you need you broadband box on all the time that you want to take skype calls (you can turn it off and still use the landline), you need one wall socket for the Dualphone Box, and one for each of the handsets. Which in our house amounts to 4 sockets being used (and on all the time) for our phones. We do turn off most of them during the day.

Handset
- the ringtones are a bit pathetic and quiet, but it is good that you can allocate different tones to different types of call.
- the handset feels cheap, and there is a little delay on the menu (more than a mobile phone.

Despite these, we are encouraging our friends and family to get them.

Fantastic bit of kit, and really glad that we bought it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leaving BT lines & multiple handsets, 24 Nov. 2011
I must admit I have never written a review before, but wanted to on this occasion as I looked hard through the reviews and never quite saw the exact answer to the question that I was seeking an answer to.

I had recently had Virgin cable broadband installed, but at the time Virgin couldn't provide a phone line. Most broadband requires a BT line, but obviously cable broadband does not and I wanted to understand whether I could ditch my BT phone line and move completely to Skype for phone calls, thus saving the monthly line rental. From the reviews it seemed like you could so I took the plunge. The answer is you can. I knew you could get a skype in number, but didn't realise this takes the same format as your current BT prefix; I have had to change the number but it looks like any other number in the area. The phone works fine just connected as an internet phone. You get the features you'd expect, caller ID, missed calls, voicemail etc through skype and some other functions you don't get to my knowledge with BT lines, like restricting numbers and getting email or txt alerts about voicemail.

The other question I could't quite see was how many handsets you can have; I got the base handset and an additional one, but since discovered that you can have the base and up to three additional handsets. So this helped too as I previously had three handsets and was a bit worried about only having two.

In terms of quality of phone etc, it's maybe not quite as good as previous DECT phones, but it's pretty good and in reality the use of home lines is less with mobiles and inclusive minutes. This is why 4 stars and not 5, but in terms of what I wanted it has hit the mark.

4.0 out of 5 stars RTX Dualphone 3088 - a good net phone, 26 Aug. 2009
David Atkin (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
This is a good upgrade from my old USB Phillips Skype phone. It didn't work with Vista so upgraded to the RTX PC free phone. It works well with both landline and Skype calls. The only negative I can give the phone and why I didn;t rate it 5 stars is that the volume when in normal phone mode cannot be adjusted and is quite low. When in hands-free mode the phone is easily loud enough but you don't always want to be operating like that. Still 4 stars and very happy with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Set up no problem, works just fine, 2 Nov. 2011
Although there were a few negative reviews on here I couldn't find another item that did what these promised so, maybe a little warily, I ordered it. The lack, or so it seemed, of being able to store landline numbers was nearly a deal-breaker but I need not have worried on either score. Yes, it does have a landline phonebook facility as well as storing your Skype contact list.

Straight out of the box (once the handsets been charged, of course) the base unit connected to my router straight away. The phones then logged themselves into the base unit almost at once. Following the advice contained in the manual, I selected the menu option to update the software but found they had been supplied with the latest anyway. I entered my Skype account details and the phones logged into Skype and my contact list appeared. Simple 'plug and play' so far.

Then the first test call on Skype and the first on the landline were made without problem and I got down to customising the ring tones and other such stuff.

I guess the whole set-up process, other than handset charging, had taken me 15 minutes tops.

Maybe there were some issues with earlier units but they all seem to have been addressed now. I'm certainly very happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars RTX Dual phone, 13 Oct. 2010
Set up was very easy after performing a software update to ensure the latest Skype software was on the handsets as suggested in the set up guide. It easily uploaded all contacts from our account without any fuss once username and password were entered. We now only have internet/skype and no longer have a landline. It worked well with both lines while we had the landline and skype simultaneously and was identifiable with different ringtone to the skype line or landline. We set up the handsets with a Skype in/out number so people call us on a uk landline number purchased from Skype. We also make calls from this Skype in/out number and appears as caller id as if calling from the uk landline number. You can also withold caller id on Skype settings. It works really well. It has an intercom facility which is handy to call upstairs or downstairs in a big house or house to office and also transfer of calls is easy between handsets.
My only disappointment about the handsets are the lack of keypad lights which makes it difficult to use in dark conditions. It would not put me off buying another though as it works really well as a phone on landline or skype.
You cannot send or recieve Skype text/chat messages on theses handsets.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›