Size: 3 Bike|Change

on 13 April 2012
I've just done my first 200 odd miles with this rack and 3 bikes fitted (2 mountain bikes and a small child's bike) and must say its a very good product. The fitting is easy and quick and its very sturdy once fitted to the tow bar. The only thing I will say is that the supplied strap is a little too short for my liking but this doesn't detract from the overall quality. I was a little apprehensive when I first drove off with everything fitted as the rack does seem to wobble a little when driving but I made an conscious effort to ignore this and it was fine at motorway speeds and up and down country roads. The tilt function is a great help, although better performed with 2 people due to the weight of the bikes and I left everything fitted whilst unloading the boot when I arrived at my destination.
As for security I used a cable lock that fits into the boot and around the bikes and rack after seeing the Thule tow bar lock that's recommended for this product and deciding it wasn't worth the money due to its poor design (see my other review) and this did the job.
My light board was £15 from a local supplier attached with a couple of bungees which is significantly cheaper than the Thule version and does the job very well.
Overall I would recommend this product and will definitely benefit from my purchase.
on 16 August 2011
I recently fitted a towbar to my Skoda Yeti so I could use a towbar mounted carrier on the car. After looking around a bit I settled on the Thule Hangon as it ticked all the boxes without being too pricey. Well made with decent build quality. It's dead easy to mount to the car and only takes a second or two to remove it using the supplied spanner. Rack folds up and fits nicely in the boot whilst I'm off pedalling the trails. Tilt function is really handy when you want to get access to the boot and the bikes are already loaded. Thule sell a lock which fits onto the mounting bolt but by all reports its pants so I didnt opt for it. To be honest I never really park up and leave the bike(s) on the back of the car - journeys are almost always just to and from the trails.
When mounting more than one bike you'll need to use some padding to protect them from rubbing each other. But this goes for all bike racks which dont hold the bikes apart (wheel-tray types).

Bottom line - great piece of kit which I use several times a week. No regrets buying at all.
on 15 January 2014
I bought a shiny new bike after 20yrs of not having one and with use, getting fitter and more adventurous I wanted to be able to carry the families bikes to other places. I trust Thules and liked the idea of an easy fix to the tow bar.
It is heavy but very well made and is only a one man job to fit and tighten and the bikes go on okay - better with time.
What I was not expecting was the extra bar required for mountain bikes and girls bike to allow them to be fitted but probably my fault for not reading up suffiently.
What then worried me was the security as if I had a spanner then thieves could so I purchased the small lock. This is as feedback suggest small and not a deterent to a hardened and determined thief but then what is these days so not overly concerned.
Overall happy, expensive but you can see where the money goes.
on 14 September 2012
After much research I decided to plump for the Thule hangon 3 bike rack - I was hesitant at first due to some reviewers stating it wobbles around and poor security.

To attach to the car is simplicity in itself, slot rack over tow bar, a large bolt is then tightened against the tow bar thus securing the rack to the car.

Yes it does move when driving. Remember, this is only marginal, your rear view mirror amplifies the movement!! how do i know this? I thought my bike had received a mysterious large scratch from the kids which I kept looking at whilst driving down to Cornwall but once there it was merely a small bit of mud, sorry kids ;)

Further, the marginal sway is via the arms holding the bikes, not the main frame which if tightened correctly does not sway or move. Just view the minor movement as an adaption of skyscraper design in eartquake zones, they are designed to move slightly to reduce stress on key points!!!

Another plus is the absence of any straps to attach to your car that could rub and scratch

Reference the security, other reviewers have this spot on, anyone with the correct tool can walk off with your kit. I was going to get the additional Thule lock but apparently this is next to useless. In the end I just used several bike locks to keep both the bikes and bike rack safe.

To conclude, very easy to install, folds flat for storage and is well made. For £70 squids a bit of a bargain.
on 27 April 2013
I have been looking for a good bike carrier for a while now and a friend told me about the thule carriers which sit on the tow bar
i first purchased the thule hangon 2 bike carrier but after checking the weight of my two bikes they exceeded the 30KG max safe load so i then looked at the 3 bike carrier which had a max safe load of 45KG so problem solved . And now i am very pleased with my purchase easy to fit looks good on my vehicle would recommend this product . And i would also look at the thule carrier lock 957 to stop the thieving little gits from removing the carrier : )
Ok, let’s address the elephant in the room first; this cycle carrier is at the top end of how much a hang on cycle carrier can cost. There are plenty of other 3 bike carriers that cost half (or more) of the price of this Thule model but the question that you really need to ask yourself is whether or not you would trust a budget carrier to adequately hold your bike without it flapping about or worse. Personally, I’ll take the premium brand over a budget brand any day of the week if my bike is going to be well protected.

So, is it any good? For the answer, please read on . . .

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

The bike carrier comes in a pretty big cardboard box although in my opinion it was very poorly packaged (see pictures below) as the carrier was nowhere near the size of the box and there was no protective padding in the box to stop it from banging around inside. Thankfully there wasn’t any damage but for an Amazon Prime delivery I do expect products to be better cared for throughout transit.  In fairness, this is an issue for Amazon and does not impact on the assessment of the product itself.

The packaging issue has been referred to Amazon for further comment.

The carrier is fairly compact when folded and weighs approximately 7.5kg. Despite its relatively light weight it’s very well constructed and the hang-on bars lock tightly into place either when it’s ready to go or when it’s folded away.

IN THE BOX:

- The cycle carrier
- An instruction manual
- A security manual
- An allen key for maintenance tightening of bolts
- A large tightening bolt for securing to towball
- A large heavy duty closed and open ended spanner for the towball bolt

WHAT’S GOOD ABOUT IT:

- Lightweight
- Bikes are held very securely with minimum wobble
- Sturdy construction
- Built in frame straps (reflexes)
- Built in bike strap with strong clasp
- Fits to towball within 5 minutes (max) and takes even less time to remove
- Secure mounting on towball using a single tightening bolt.
- 5 year manufacturer’s warranty

At the moment I only need to use it for two adult bikes and a junior one but it’s handy to have the extra space should I need it.

Word of warning/advice #1: MOST mountain bikes don’t have horizontal bars and you have to manoeuvre the bike frame carefully into place to get it on the bar.  There is, of course, a Thule accessory of a bar adapter but not surprisingly that’s quite expensive and with some careful positioning and twisting you can probably do without it.

Word of warning/advice #2: You will almost certainly need a lighting board to use with this cycle carrier or risk getting a £60 fine. Thule sell one but I bought one from a high street bike/car retailer, which begins with H and ends with Alfords, for £20 and it’s perfectly acceptable.

FEATURES:

- Folds away when not in use
- Quick tilt, even with bikes attached, giving boot access
- Easily carries 2 adult bikes and a junior bike (would require careful positioning for 3)

NEGATIVES:

- A bolt lock (separate accessory) needs to be purchased to prevent opportunist thieves from removing the carrier from the towball and pinching your rack and bikes
- If you fold down the mount without bikes the top of the carrier touches the floor. After three or four times of doing this I’ve noticed that the frame is already scratched. It would have helped if Thule had put some rubber protection on this area to prevent it from being damaged.
- Poorly packaged, but that’s Amazon’s fault.
- The fixing strap could do with being a little longer.

SUMMARY:

I’ve done about 8 journeys, covering approximately 400 miles, with two bikes on the back in rain, hail, wind and shine and it’s done me proud. I’m very happy with my purchase and I’m sure that it’ll last me for a good number of years.

I review a lot of products as a hobby and all of my reviews are based on my experience and use of the product.  Unlike some other products I’ve reviewed I paid full price for this bike carrier and I am more than happy to recommend it.

I hope you've found this review to be Helpful and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to let me know in the comments box.
on 1 August 2013
This bike rack is unsuitable for a man's large frame bike, although it doesn't say that in the description. The bike wheel is only about 4 inches off the ground and consequently touches the road no matter how slowly you take a speed bump or pothole. Thule would appear to be unconcerned about this defect with their product. I have wasted £70.
on 29 June 2012
I purchased this rack to replace an old one I bought from Halfords years ago. This one is so much more secure and far quicker to attach. It also easily folds flat for storage. I use it for 2 adults and 1 child bike which is fine, not tried 3 adult bikes yet but it must be s bit of a squeeze!
on 31 July 2015
I needed a new bike rack for two bikes and looked at a variety of Hang-on designs for 2 bikes. All that I came across stated a maximum bike weight of 15 kg. Each of my bikes weigh more than this so I decided to buy the 3 Bike version just in case. I've used this rack on a couple of occasions travelling 150 miles in total. The rack is easy to fit and after a some adjustments carries both bikes securely. The mounting for the bike nearest the car had to be moved back in order to prevent the pedals/handlebars from hitting the rear of the car. Plenty of space for 2 bikes but not for 3. The rack is lightweight and stores easily.
on 18 March 2013
Easy to fit and to use. Good value for money. I use the three bike rack for two bikes. This gives alot more room on the rack and the bikes sit quite comfortable.