5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!
This device is easily the best on the market. Took me 10 minutes to set up but I am quite technical..so if you're not technical the good thing about Hauppauge is that they are a worldwide company and you can contact a local office for technical support which is nice.

Published on 15 April 2013 by Cupcake

1.0 out of 5 stars PVR2 GE Plus keeps locking up
Published 9 months ago by UKTechguy

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT!, 15 April 2013

It records in the nicest quality and to be honest, nothing out there compares to it. Also, a few weeks ago they announced their new software "Hauppauge Capture" which is an absolute beast! Now I can record Youtube videos and my voice at the same time. It also comes with their software called StreamEez which is awesome cause it doesn't use any PC usage whatsoever. It allows you to stream to Twitch and UStream at the moment. It's hardware streaming I believe? Or so their Twitter says anyway and it works great which I love.

Honestly, I had the first one (HD PVR Gaming Edition) and their products are so good. Not been let down yet. THANKS HAUPPAUGE! WOOOHOO

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard to figure out but evetually works, 30 Jun. 2012
N. C. Allen (Essex U.K.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hauppauge HD PVR USB Hi-def H.264 Video Capture Device,high Definition USB 2.0 Video Capture With Hardware H.264 Video Encoders (Electronics)
I bought this item so that I could transfer VHS films into the computer for editing and burning onto DVD, also for capturing clips from BluRay discs. Every review I've read here talks about connecting games consoles to the device and although I realise that it is marketed for this purpose, I didn't see why it shouldn't work with any video source as an input (why do people want to record their gaming experiences anyway? Seems odd to me).
Having read from many reviews that you just 'plug in and go' that's exactly what I did and - nothing. The component video input produced a blank screen on the computer. As a result I tried connecting with s-video leads and did get a picture but the quality was poor (which I expected). Having decided it was not good enough I had a think about it and reconnected the component leads but could still not get any signal.
Eventually after a couple of hours I had a delve into the settings on my Blu-ray player. I found that I could choose the kind of signal to be produced at the component output. I hadn't looked at this before because there was no need, everything else being connected via the elegant, efficient and easy HDMI sockets. As soon as I switched the component output from the default YPbPr to RGB I had a perfect, HiDef Blu-ray quality picture on my computer screen.
The Hauppauge appears to be a nice piece of kit but suffers from the affliction that so many electronic devices do, the unbelievably poor instruction manual, or in this case instruction 'sheet-of-paper'. Another example is the on-screen menu choice to record your video capture. You can choose between Playstation, AVCHD, or XBox. All this choice does is to determine the format of the recorded video, either .m2ts .ts or .mp4 formats. Nothing to do with the consoles but everything to do with the output video.
As I said, the Hauppauge seems to work very well once you get to grips with the required nature of the input and output signals.
One last thing which has nothing to do with the device. I paid a premium price for next morning delivery, which didn't happen. CityLink failed to deliver for three more days after that, the parcel finally arriving four days after I placed the order. CityLink failed to deliver and they failed to provide me with any explanation as to why, despite several emails to their so-called customer services department. Their customer relations are the worst I've seen. They finally responded to my requests for an explanation by saying 'Your case is now closed.' Meanwhile Amazon have been faultless. They responded to my email to them within half an hour, they contacted CityLink on my behalf, and they instantly refunded me the shipping price. High praise for Amazon.
Purchasing this product has been quite a rollercoaster but finally I can use it for what I wanted it for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Nov. 2012
Purchased this item so that I could record gameplay from my Xbox 360 in HD.

Quality of the recorded footage is superb, recording in 1080p at 29.97fps. The audio is also high quality and I can't fault it at all.

It is very easy to set up, the installation CD contains drivers for all Windows OS (including NT) and will have you set up in minutes.

The only complains I have are that the box can get quite warm (unavoidable) and that when not connected via USB (or the power outage on the USB changes) then it no longer passes through the HDMI signal (this causes my Xbox to reset). But this is no major factor considering my laptop is always on anyway.

The 2 HDMI cables received are also of high quality and much appreciated, a PS3 cable was received and unneeded by me, but still appears to be quality.

+ High quality recording
+ Easy to use
+ Works with both Xbox/PS3 and comes with both cable sets
- Needs usb to be connected to function (if console running through it all the time)

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what you need., 22 April 2012
I've had my Hauppauge HD-PVR Gaming Edition for about 5 months now. It is fantastic and it does exactly what you need it to do.

In the box is the PVR and some cables along with the instructions.
The PVR looks cool, and when you're recording it has a awesome green light.

Setting up the PVR is simple. All the wires you need come with it. First I connected the PVR to my TV using the component cables, and then I connected it to my PS3 easily using the cables provided. Then you set your PS3 to the right mode and connect the PVR to your PC with the USB cable provided and your pretty much done. You install the software provided and you click capture and it captures whatever is on the TV screen.

The software isn't amazing though. I expected much better, but it gets the job done. I run it on my laptop (A notsogood laptop) and it works fine. The software has a built in YouTube uploader where you can login to your YouTube account and upload from there. I don't use this option because it usually doesn't upload in HD when I do it that way, but doing it manually works fine.

I would recommend this to anyone who wants to record their Xbox or PS3 footage, it does what it says it does. Simple.

If you want to see what the quality is like, just search 'mw3 how to search and destroy jazszzz' and my video will show up. Thanks!

1.0 out of 5 stars PVR2 GE Plus keeps locking up, 13 Aug. 2014
Bought this to upgrade from my original Hauppauge PVR which worked perfectly although it did not have the HDMI capability. Sadly this model would not work for more than around 10-30 minutes before locking up. It would seem to be a hardware fault as my old PVR still works fine with the new software and drivers that came with the new PVR2. I have now read that a lot of people have the same problem although there are lots of five star reviews from people who must have a fully working model. I have tried a fan to keep the box cool (it runs hotter than the original PVR) but this made no difference to the length of time before it locked up whether on HDMI, Component or Composite. I am quite tech savvy so I doubt if it's "operator error" - especially since the original Hauppauge PVR still works faultlessly.

It is worth mentioning that this is the "new" version with a round a/v connector rather than the old style flat plug - I really thought that the new hardware and software meant that any previous problems would have disappeared - it seems not!

I have asked Amazon for a replacement and hope that I have just been unlucky - otherwise I shall buy an alternative the Elgato Game Capture HD which many people seem to prefer. I will post an update on the replacement after I have tested it out - it will either be another 1 star review or 5 star one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hi resolution recordings Xbox 360 and PS3, 31 July 2009
I have connected the HDPVR to my Xbox and PS3 and recorded some game play in my laptop (VAIO vgn-z591u), it was really nice HD video and good audio quality.
One advice before recording from any system change the video settings to be ether at 1080i or 720p. Not 1080p because the HDPVR doesn't support it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning Product Perfect For Serious Youtubers/Gamers, 19 Nov. 2010
I bought this originally to record gameplay from my PS3 to post onto youtube as i work in the gaming industry. Let me just say the quality obtained from this product is amazing it records in 1080i which is more than enough (maybe too detailed) for youtube and has no noticeable loss in framerate unlike some other products on the market.

The Software is easy to install / setup and use. It does not take long to get used to it.

If you are using this with a Sony PS3 you will need to buy the PS3 component cable. Xbox 360 users will be ok as Microsoft normally include a component cable.

I edit the video on my Sony Vaio laptop which works smoothly using Sony Vegas Pro or Adobe Premier Pro.

Other users are reporting lock ups / freezing i have never experienced anything like ths myself and have recorded around 90-100 hours of PS3 and Xbox 360 Gameplay.

If you want to capture any sort of HD video to edit/upload then the Happauge HD PVR is the only product in my eyes on the market today which does the job properly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best On The Market !, 3 Oct. 2012
I got my new HD PVR2 today, and in fifteen minutes I was up and recording - it's that simple to use! I love my old HD PVR and I thought I would take a gamble and upgrade, just for ease of use, and to free up a lot of wires I had behind the TV. I am so chuffed with it, it records very well in 1080p. It's simple to use, and it looks even smaller than what you see in some unboxing videos. I just record my games for fun, nothing serious, and having the HD PVR1 or 2 makes it more fun, as it's no hassle to get set up and start recording.

If you are serious about wanting to start up some kind of gaming channel on You Tube for fun, or to make a little money, the Hauppauge HD PVR really is the best on the market. Yes, there are other products out there, but with the Hauppage you get great long-lasting quality and the very best in customer service. I had a problem with my old HD PVR1 skipping. I emailed Customer Support, and within the hour I had a reply with the solution (which was to plug the USB cable into the back of the PC where the motherboard is). They really do go out of their way to give good customer support, so go and pick up one, you will not regret it .

I know a lot of people hate the arcsoft software that comes with the pvr 2 but its software has now been updated and it has a lot of new functions like mic support to do commentary videos inside the software with no need for additional software and it also has it stand alone streaming software built in, so no need to use xsplit it also uses a lot less cpu usage.

check out this video to see a preview of the new software ( search you tube for a video called....Hauppauge HD PVR 2 NEW Software PREVIEW )

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant- Everything I hoped for!, 13 Dec. 2014
The quality of the video files this device produces is simply outstanding. I've been really impressed. I chose it partly because I have had good results from a Hauppauge product before (Win TV7) and partly because I am running an ageing Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop with Windows Vista and some of the other capture devices I could have bought require Windows 7 upwards. Delivery from Amazon Logistics was swift so no chance of complaints from me there. I was well aware of the problems a number of unlucky people have had as I read all the reviews first but my experience has been very positive overall so far and I feel that taking the chance has been well justified.

I still have a lot of playing around to do to find out just what I can get out of this great little box of tricks in terms of changing the settings in the supplied capture programs but after just over a week owning one that's to be expected. However, the Hauppauge Capture software generally worked well for me using the settings I found when I started it up for the first time. My first impression is that it looks easier to use than the Arcsoft Showbiz program that was also installed. I immediately got HD video files ( .ts format) in 1920 x 1080i resolution, no problem whatsoever. I find that streaming these files to my DLNA enabled TV results in picture and sound quality that is every bit as good as the original input. I can only say that the device itself has performed admirably from the start but if there are any shortcomings these lie with the software, possibly in part because of the limitations of the computer it runs on.

I have found that if I use the Export to MP4 option in Hauppauge Capture I end up with an MP4 file that has no sound. This also happens if I import the .ts file into Roxio Videowave (2009 version) which software then requires me to allow it to convert it to .mpg format to facilitate editing. A search on Google shows this sort of thing is a common problem. One workaround is to convert it with the freeware converter Video to Video, which gives a .MP4 with the sound as it should be. But, you still need to make sure that whatever you convert the .ts files to, regardless of the software you use, the conversion also gives you acceptable picture quality. From my experience lately, that's not automatically guaranteed. So far I much prefer to stick with the original .ts files as these have given me the best results. An approx. 20 minute video at 1920 x 1080i resolution has generally given me a file size of about 1.8-2.2 GB, so a standard 4.7GB DVD will hold about 45 mins worth if the files are burnt directly to it. For me, that's not a problem and the playback quality cannot be bettered. Basically, as a general thing the more you have to process a file the worse it gets.

One other thing I have noticed is that when recording, you can get momentary flashes, blips and other image artefacts on the Capture display, but the files you get normally show none of this. The issue is actually mentioned on the Hauppauge website as nothing to worry about. This is presumably because the image processing doesn't take place on the computer- only the input display so the file data is intact before you can see it. I find that shutting down other programs which are running at the same time as the capture program before you start recording makes for a better display as the load on the processor is reduced. If your capture software hangs or you see defects in the recorded file, you definitely need to do this as the load on the chipset is so great it interferes with the saving of the file, or at least that's my opinion.

In conclusion- I'm very happy so far, so if you're considering buying one I'd say go for it.

UPDATE 17/1/2015: I am now getting very consistent high quality captures using the Arcsoft Showbiz software to record using MP4 format and a recording bitrate of 10MB/s. NO glitches or image artefacts AT ALL so far in the recorded files in quite a number of hours of use and the sound was fine from the start. The capture display seems steadier too, if not totally free of momentary glitches but those have got to be mainly down to my laptop. It IS important to shut down other programs beforehand, that are likely to steal processor time when capturing. I find that disabling the wireless connection to the laptop before capturing also helps in this respect.

5.0 out of 5 stars just the job, 4 July 2012
At last I can archive my Sky+HD recordings (even the 1TB hard drive fills up SO quickly!). Using this HD PVR, plus an "HD Anywhere HDMI to Component Converter" and my PC I can now clear some space on my Sky+HD box by transferring the clips I want to keep on to a DVD-RW (in HD quality) to be played back on a blu-ray player. The editing software supplied is VERY basic; the AVCHD picture quality is excellent but the "edits" (hah!) are pretty rough - but so far I've had no luck searching the net for an alternative because of the ".ts" file type that the capture software produces. My only regret is not buying this sooner. If you have got an HD box bursting at the seams with your favourite stuff, and you have a DVD writer on your PC then this HD PVR is the answer to your storage problems ...